Still getting "caught" when I bend over to tie my shoes or feed the dog!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi Hippies,

It's been 8 months since my anterior THP - and I am so cross with how I feel. So much for the "everybody gets a THP, it's NOTHING" ! After a lot of post op infection and4 months of drugs and IV's to fix that, and I am STILL getting stuck, or caught with awful pain when I bend over to pat the wonder dog, or tie laces or pick a weed out of the garden. I have to very slowly return to upright - and it hurts like crazy the whole way up.

Had a gallium, MRI and CT - can't see anything - but maybe (?) its soas tendon that needs releasing - but my confidence is shaken. I have aged 100 years since this op, I would be really scared about another surgery for a  'release' .. any ideas?

Thanks team :-)

(PS I'm in Sydney)

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi prue,

Horrible isn't it when people sail through without problems and we wonder why we are so far behind.

I use a kneeling stool to weed the garden, when I do feed the dog I stretch my leg out behind me, hubby another one who seems to think it is easy keeps saying, I should be bending at 4.5 months, if I could I would doh! I would never willingly have another one done.

Keep your chin up, hope it gets easier for you soon, we have to find ways of coping.

• Posted

It took me over 12 months before I could bend right over If I have to tie laces I sit down  I used me grabber and still do occasionally to pick up things but I have a back problem too. Every one heals differently take every day one step at a time. I am two yrs after first and 12 months after the second and still getting better each day ...best wishes xx
  • Posted

Bless you I am almost six months posterior and learned early the only way to feed the cat was golfers leg- lifting it behind me. I have only kept my spirits up because of this site. No infections just pain and stiffness that doesn’t ease 😢

• Posted

I can SO relate to this.  I am on my third hip recovery, and SHOULD know all the restrictions by now, but I still find myself crossing my legs at my ankles, or trying to bend just a bit too far and have to stop myself.

Hip Replacement is NOT 'just nothing', it is a MAJOR and life-changing operation, and the recovery is far from a 'breeze'.

I know what a difficult recovery this can be, this is my third in less than 3 years.  I am now one of those annoying people having a 'miracle' recovery this time - it was about time I had some luck after having the ceramics shatter and deposit themselves in my leg muscles.

Take your time, build up the mobility and strength in the muscles.  I was so much better going into this last operation as I was walking and cycling regularly, and going to the gym several times every week.  All that helped my muscles strengthen and move which I am sure are contributing to my 'easy' recovery.

As an old friend of mine used to say, the easy bits ain't easy, and the hard bits are darned hard.  Physically I am recovering well now (I walked one mile outside within a week of the operation), but at night it's a different story, leg spasms, itching, sleepnessness - you know what it's like, right?

Having post-op infection will have set your body back in your recovery, don't beat yourself up about it, you will recover, but it will take you a little longer, that's all.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Alright you people are not encouraging at all, before I was extremely encouraged, so much that I am probably days from having surgery scheduled. Now you’re giving me second thoughts, ESPECIALLY seeing “I would never willingly have another done,” and “I would be really scared for another surgery.” I am in extremely unbearable pain and to the point where I can only force myself to stand up when I have to, so I don’t think I have any choice.

All I can do is hope and pray that I’m one of the lucky ones... though as bad as my old body has gotten that seems impossible. I had gotten to where I was looking forward to the surgery- now I dread it BIG time. I am going to think positive though- and I’m very sorry that you all are having such a bad time.

• Posted

I was being humorous with my first line lol!
    • Posted

well its taken me 6 months to be what i call normal again!ive finally got rid of my crutch,two weeks ago and feel like ive got my life back-at last!it hasnt been easy,a case of one step forward and two back,but my goodness its great to feel free again-following my dogs through the woods and not having to think "hip" all the time,or wonder if i ll make it home! i wasnt one of the lucky few who recovered in two weeks,but id encourage anyone feeling despondant to have the op if youre in a lot of pain.i believe its worth it.good luck everybody xxx ps-just realised im sitting here with leg crossed,whoops!

• Posted

Hi Karen, it's not all bad news I'm 9 weeks post opp 72 years old and walking short distances without crutches. For longer walks I take one with me, just in case. I can't fasten my shoe laces yet but I'm sure I'll be able to eventually. I started to cut down on the pain killers after 3 weeks and now I only take the odd one. Don't be put off, it's got to be better than the pre operation pain.

• Posted

Karen, I know I put I would never have it done willingly again but, I have not had a problem with the hip and no pain since it was done. I get sad because of having the blood clots in the lungs and that has coloured my judgement. You will be lucky and sail through ehen you do get your op.
    • Posted

Just take it easy. Take your meds and follow the advice. Slow and steady. You will be fine x
    • Posted

I’m still going to have it done, like it or not I have no choice. I keep catching myself thinking this will be better tomorrow- wishful thinking. It’s encouraging that you can walk your dogs that’s great but, are you not supposed to cross your legs??
    • Posted

Thank you, the thought of it being any better at all than what I’m going through now is definitely encouraging because I can’t stand this misery.
    • Posted

I’m sorry you have blood clots in your lungs and my goodness I hope it all gets better for you. You have not discouraged me, I know I need the surgery- and I want it, but I still find myself looking for easy excuses not to have it so guess. 
    • Posted

no youre not-but i did it without thinking-wonder if the rule is forever?xxx
    • Posted

Leg crossing ban is not forever, from memory I was allowed to cross ankles at 6 weeks, but best to delay a full 'ankle over the knee' crossover until about 12 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.