Still getting "caught" when I bend over to tie my shoes or feed the dog!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi Hippies,

It's been 8 months since my anterior THP - and I am so cross with how I feel. So much for the "everybody gets a THP, it's NOTHING" ! After a lot of post op infection and4 months of drugs and IV's to fix that, and I am STILL getting stuck, or caught with awful pain when I bend over to pat the wonder dog, or tie laces or pick a weed out of the garden. I have to very slowly return to upright - and it hurts like crazy the whole way up.

Had a gallium, MRI and CT - can't see anything - but maybe (?) its soas tendon that needs releasing - but my confidence is shaken. I have aged 100 years since this op, I would be really scared about another surgery for a  'release' .. any ideas?

Thanks team :-)

(PS I'm in Sydney)

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

Yes I know I kind of feel the same.......I have just been told it is certainly on the cards for me, and have decided to steer away from here for the time being, as sadly making me rather miserable at the thought.

Now looking for a very positive forum !!  have you seen one ?  smile  smile 

• Posted

Hi Helen not all bad news I'm 9 weeks post opp 72 years old and walking short distances without crutches. For longer walks I take one with me, just in case. I can't fasten my shoe laces yet but I'm sure I'll be able to eventually. I started to cut down on the pain killers after 3 weeks and now I only take the odd one. Don't be put off, it's got to be better than the pre operation pain.

• Posted

Helen, please do not be put off with comments like mine saying I would not willingly have it done again.

The op was nothing and I have had no pain since the op 18 weeks ago, did not need painkilkers. I walk without support, weed the garden, sleep on operated side since 8 weeks. I hope this is more supportive for you, do not stay in pain unnecessarily,

• Posted

Oh my gosh I hope I didn’t cause that, don’t listen to me! Besides I am going to have the surgery and of course I’m scared but I’m also looking forward to it!
  • Posted

There is another side to this. I am 1 year out and have had a tremendous result. Most of the time I forget that I had it done. I have full range of motion with NO pain, stiffness or soreness. I walk 4 miles at a fast pace for cardio and am playing my best golf ever. I also do Pilates only avoiding the “pigeons stretch”.  I realize that I’m really lucky but my anterior THR has changed my life for the better!
  • Posted

this is my worry. i will need a thr but have not scheduled yet, currently moderate with lingering (managed) pain here and there all the time.   what type/approach to surgery did you have?
    • Posted

I had the anterior approach and highly recommend it!!  Much less post op pain, I’m wearing high heels again, playing golf and power walking 4 miles a day. I have no pain at all. The day after surgery I could tell who had the posterior vs anterior approach by their level of pain. 
    • Posted

Dharrelson,

I have to say I had the posterior hip replacement and had no pain at all after surgery and did not need painkillers but, the nurses are obsessed with pain and force them down you. Maybe it comes down to how fit you are and not which approach you have. I have always exercised most days, I believe it helps control pain.

• Posted

I was just scheduled to set up surgery today but I read the reviews of the surgeon and I’m not happy. I consider myself very tough with the five surgeries I’ve had but I don’t like pain and many of the reviews are complaints because he doesn’t give pain meds! Do you think I should change doctors?

Thank you.

• Posted

I was given Tramadol and hid the pills in my sponge bag. I was a bit worried I would drop the bag in the ward and they would all roll out!
    • Posted

Karen, you might not need pain meds, not everyone does. I could not find any information or reviews for my surgeon as in wales uk, they do not need to publish anything. Can you buy painkillers if you need them. If it is only painkillers against him I would go ahead.
    • Posted

You need to be careful with things like Tramadol, they are opiates, and so are prescription ONLY.

If you give them to someone else, or someone else takes them, that is breaking UK law.

If you go abroad with them, carefully check to see you don't end up in prison as some countries will regard you as a drug courier - Egypt for example.

Graham

• Posted

Agree !  I have just been prescribed a combination of Tramadol and Paracetamol ....1  every 12 hours !  they are extremely effective though. I find them much better than Co-Comodil  for instance.  smile 
    • Posted

I found Tramadol addictive, and switched to Codeine - I was fine with that, but it is also an opioid
    • Posted

No we can’t buy them here, legally that is lol. This new doctor I’m supposed to see Tuesday that does surgery without weight loss has a 3.1 rating in the review I read. The doctor that told me I had to lose 20 pounds- has a 4.3 rating, and this is out of five. I sure would prefer him but my gosh if I ever “could” lose 20 pounds no telling how long it could take, and I need surgery RIGHT NOW. I am in the most horrible unbearable miserable pain every time I have to stand up out of a chair that I have ever been in in my life, so I can’t wait. The thought of that pain being gone... wow I can’t wait!! Yes you’re right I will use him- thank you.
    • Posted

Good luck for tuesday karen let's hope he can fit you in quickly.

• Posted

Thank you!!!! Even if there is pain there’s no way it could be any worse than what I’m going through now. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.