Still getting up 3 or 4 times after prostate operation

Posted , 15 users are following.

I had the laser reduction operation for benign enlargement one year ago but still have to urinate 3 or 4 times during the night. What else causes this? I don't drink after 5pm.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Unfortunately the prostate doesn't stop growing. If you were relatively young undergoing this then the chances are this is what has happened. That or the procedure was poorly or conservatively done. The latter can happen if the surgeon is trying to preserve normal functions.

• Posted

Not many regrow in a year. Mine after GL took nine years to become a problem.

Diabetes and Heart disease building up cause nigth time urination before diagnosis.

• Posted

The surgeon said he'd lasered over 90% off the prostate so it cant be that! Prior to the op the medics did a number of tests but couldn't get a probe up my bum to measure something to do with the bladder!

I can control it during the day and dont need to pee often (but I dont drink much - only decaffinated.)

• Posted

Which procedure did you have and has daytime improved ?

• Edited

I don't think that BPH is 100% to blame for nocturia in the elderly.

I've been getting up at night 3 times for at least 6 years, which is how long I've been tracking it. It can vary from 2 - 4 times, but 3 is the average -- and it's pretty constant.

I've never been able to figure out how to consistently reduce my voids to 2 per night.

These things don't seem to help: exercise, more frequent sex, drinking most fluids early in the day (although later in the day might hurt).

These things might help: deferring total daily sodium intake to night because theoretically the body produces the antidiuretic hormone vasopressin to maintain the sodium concentration in your blood; do not eat spicy, bladder-irritating food at dinner time; don't take naps during the day so as to be more tired at night; avoid anything that is potentially diuretic late in day -- like caffeine and maybe green tea. "Double voiding" during nighttime trips to the bathroom might help if it works.

Bladder training during the day might be useful, but I haven't done it. I think the opposite -- i.e. peeing whenever you feel the slightest urge would carry over into the night.

• Posted

Thanks dougo. I do most of what you suggest. I suppose its something you have to live with when youre in your seventies.

• Edited

Ericleo,

What procedure did you have ?

Have you had a urodynamics test to determine the condition of your bladder ? Your bladder may be stretched or Trabeculated. The condition of the bladder can also be seen with a cystoscope or on a 3TMRI. What is your PVR, Post Void Residual ? It can be measured by ultrasound in a Urologist's office, or it can be measured by self catheterization.

Have you tried medicines for overactive bladder.

Thomas

• Posted

I'm afraid I dont have results of tests made over a year ago.

• Edited

You might consider having a sleep study done. Younger urologists are trained to consider that issue.If your sleep is disturbed, you can wake up and then think, "Is that my bladder calling?"I have a friend who had the same thing happening after TURP. His doctor prescribed a light sedative for sleep and he started sleeping through the night.

• Posted

Have you tried taking melatonin? It's a natural homone that regulates the sleep-wake cycle. It's over the counter and considered to be safe. You can get it in liquid or tablet form. I find that when I take it, I typically get an extra 30 to 60 minutes before I wake up and have to urinate (but not always). You should give it a try.

I started taking it again at bedtime over the last week and maybe that along with the compression socks has reduced the number of trips from 3 to 2 at night. In the past, I've also taken the liquid form (just a few milliliters) after I've peed during one of the trips. I like the liquid form, because you don't have to drink water to take it. It definitely does seem to provide some help, but I wouldn't expect to sleep through the night.

• Posted

Thanks, I may try that if it's safe and doesn't have side effects?

• Posted

Urinary retention has been described with the use of drugs with anticholinergic activity (e.g. antipsychotic drugs, antidepressant agents and anticholinergic respiratory agents), opioids and anaesthetics, alpha-adrenoceptor agonists, benzodiazepines, NSAIDs, detrusor relaxants and calcium channel antagonists.

Including links doesn't work, but Googling on part of this quote should find the source.

Note that benzodiazepines are in this list.

• Edited

I'm sure there are lot's of causes. One thing that I've found that helps me empty before bed is walking for 20 minutes within an hour of going to sleep. This seems to make my last pee before sleep empty more.

• Edited

If you have dog that will make it happy as they also have a prostate 😃]

• Posted

We always had b*****s so that was not a problem 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.