Still getting up 3 or 4 times after prostate operation

Posted , 15 users are following.

I had the laser reduction operation for benign enlargement one year ago but still have to urinate 3 or 4 times during the night. What else causes this? I don't drink after 5pm.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

as others said, you need to provide more info to get any sensible answers

-what laser procedure you had, there are at least two

-what other BPH symptoms you have

-what is your IPSS before and after procedure

• Posted

Same issue with me. It's a form of insomnia. In my case urine retention caused me to get up frequently at night and now it's a bad habit even though I had a TURP and can pee now. Also, you may be experiencing some bladder irritation, a form of overactive bladder. There are medications for this. I take trospium and also pumpkin seed oil really helps. Talk to your doctor about other non-habit forming sleep aids.

• Posted

I just had TURP surgery but the reason was not because I was getting up 10 times a night or racing from my car in the driveway to the guest bathroom just inside the house or having to pee every time I got up from off the couch. While those things were true, the reason was that the prostate shut down the entire flow of urine. When I had Foley catheters and still had the nasty urge to run to the bathroom to pee, sometimes not being able to and other times peeing around the outside of the catheter, I realized that my prostate, although "large" wasn't at the root of those issues. I had "bladder spasms". (Look up "bladder spasms"). In fact, now that I've had the prostate surgery and I can now pee again, I'm still racing to the bathroom. So, maybe (and I'm NOT a urologist) your problem is NOT (just) your prostate, but could be a bladder issue. BPH is prostate but OAB is bladder. So you might just have an overactive bladder. As I said, I'm not a professional, so I'm just guessing here.

• Edited

You might be retaining fluid in your lower extremities. That seems to be the problem that I have. This can happen without outward signs of swollen ankles. My legs look absolutely normal. I find that wearing compression socks from when I wakeup until I go to bed helps (do not wear them while sleeping). I recently wasn't wearing them and was waking up 3 to 4 times a night to urinate. I started wearing them again and after a day or two have stabilized to two times per night.

If you have the wherewithal, try to measure how much you urinate when you wake up to pee. Use a flashlight rather than turning on lights as too much light can make it difficult to get back to sleep. If it's a fairly large amount (say > 250 mL), it's likely that your kidneys are just producing a significant amount of urine at night. In this case, the compression socks should help. If you are only urinating small amounts, then doubtful. Note that I am not a doctor.

• Posted

Its quite small amounts usually. Something to just live with at my age, 73!?

• Edited

Since my TURP surgery, my urinating only lasts 5 seconds. I went to see the urologist and he did one of his tests and found that, even though my bathroom experience is short, I was, in fact, completely emptying my bladder in 5 seconds. So this is now my new "normal"? At 69? However, I still have painful/burning urination and the end of the flow is very abrupt. So, Monday I go in for a cystoscopy session in which he will be cutting away some of the scar tissue and getting rid of any remaining large scabs/clots so will see what that improves. He did a culture and I don't have a UTI.

• Posted

As a "strange" follow-up: Just this morning (March 6, 2020), during one of my early morning pee runs, I felt the double vibration and passed another large blood clot (scab). This is about 6 weeks post-TURP. Oddly enough, I no longer seem to have the issue of the "sudden" fluid-hammer like stop at the end of the stream. I'm still peeing about 5 seconds and getting the burning pain, but the sudden stop at the end seems to be gone (at least, for now). I'm still urinating about every 10 minutes or so, while awake and standing around. So, I will still be going to the urologist for a cystoscopy with Ginsu Knife Attachment on Monday. Yes, the frequency is still there but I still feel that the urgency and frequency has more to do with my bladder and some psychological habit issues than whatever went on with my prostate.

• Posted

Good luck. I dont have any pain and no problems during the day so I reckon I'll just leave things for now.

• Posted

I usually found it painful only when sitting and in bed.

• Posted

Are you sleeping with bed sheets and blankets or without either?

Often being cold or more accurately insufficiently warm in my experience causes me to get up to pee several times a night.

If you sleep without blankets and a bed sheet, please do so. This may solve the problem.

As to not drinking after 5pm, that is good practice. I was told 6pm and that worked for me.

• Posted

If it is only 3 or 4 times I wouldn't worry about it, assuming you can get back to sleep. I'm pretty sure I've read that curing enlarged prostate often doesn't get rid of this issue. I think there could be multiple causes like sensitive bladder or even just habit. Also I think I often wake up because of other issues entirely, like back discomfort. Once I've woken I usually go to bathroom anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.