Still have shingles redness?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello guys,

I was diagnosed with shingles 5 weeks ago and it seem like the pain has gone away and the scabs has fallen off but I still have these small like red pimples on the affected shingle area hat doesn't seem to go away. Has anybody experienced this? Will these eventually disappear?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rob,

My shingles have been gone for four months but I have nerve pain and I have scars. Also, I have some red pimples on my back where the shingles were and where I have a lot of itching. In my case, I think the pimples are from irritation from all the creams and gels I put on to ease the itching and pain. I tend to get pimples and rashes anyway becasue my skin is super senstitive. I'm almost certain I don't have shingles again, I think it's an irritation from the itching and all the creams I use. Everyone is different in regard to their bodies response to shingles and what happens afterwards. But, I do have some of the pimples you mention. 

• Posted

Hi Tiffany,

I never put any cream or gel when I had my first initial breakout so I'm not sure what couple possibly caused the small red pimples not unless it's part of the healing process. When I went to my doctor a couple weeks ago,he said normally once the scab falls off, the redness should start fading. If it doesn't get better in a couple weeks, I might have to make appointment with a dermatology.

• Posted

I still have residual red patches where rash was on my forehead seven months ago!
  • Posted

Hi Rob,

You are still just past the acute stage of one month. Depending on your age, medical conditions, how severe the outbreak was, if you started on antiviral medications immediately, how deep the viral infection went into the three layers of skin, how well your body heals, whether you scratched the area causing trauma, the lesions will slowly resolve over time.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twentyone years and twice in my right eye.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry,

I'm 43 and this is my first shingles episode. I never scratched the affected area or pick on any scabs during the healing process. I'm not sure if I should let nature/time takes it course and see what happens or go to a dermatologist to get a second opinion or they might just tell me the same thing in regards to eventually it will fade over time.

• Posted

That of course is your choice, and as you're new to this whole Shingles Party, you may want to read some more on it. If there are no signs of infection (increasing pain, swelling, redness, even fever), I wouldn't be alarmed.That virus is still in your system to some degree, so it's extremely common for it to take a while for them to fade. If it's a purely cosmetic issue, I would personally just wait and let nature take it's course.

• Posted

Rob,

Babs offers great advice. When going to a physician, I ask myself what am I expecting from the visit. Obviously, when you were sick with shingles, you needed a diagnosis, treatment with antiviral medications and analgesics, and education regarding the disease. This time, you know what it is, and you need reassurance that the rash is healing, which is fine. Everyone heals differently, but red lesions are still normal at this stage. When you are in doubt, see your physician.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

My husband also had it about 5 weeks ago, got the antivirals and still has red marks. It's not at all unusual. I never had a severe rash only a few raised dots, but 6 months later they are dark marks, scarring.

• Posted

Based on my history of 4 outbreaks in 4 years they will go away. After the first major outbreak these tiny red bumps come back and itch like crazy when I'm more stressed than usual. I always have 2-3 days of pain in my knees or back first, and then the bumps appear a few days later, lasting for about a week. They itch so bad, especially the ones on my scalp. Interestingly the bumps are always in the places I had that first severe bout of Shingles. My GP and DERM docs don't get it, so I have to tough it out or take their steroid injections, only making things worse. They both continue to ask me if I've changed laundry soaps or picked up poison ivy. I've stopped trying to explain it to them. I consider these mini outbreaks simply my body telling me to slow down and rest. This is a great forum to share and reassure yourself that you are not crazy!

• Posted

Linda,

You are having recurrent Herpes Zoster Shingles, and should be prescribed an antiviral, not given steroid shots. If these doctors don't understand this simple concept of recurrent episodes at the same location of the initial shingles episode, it is time to change physicians, NOW!

The steroid shots are also making your immune system worse as it is like being on a roller coaster ride for your body. Please consider changing physicians.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Linda,

I think that stress can make all skin problems worse. We all want the shingles aftereffects to just go away, but it takes a long time as I am beginnig to learn. My doctors don't seem to know much about shingles or the nerve pain that often follows. My doctors have told me little about shingles and almost nothing about the nerve pain. They just prescribe drugs that may or may not work or could make the problems worse in regard to shingles aftereffects. Sometimes, it's good to try alternative life style changes and other natural healing techniques. The stress and worrying about whether we have shingles back sometimes may cause us to get worse skin issues and lower our immune system even more.

Maybe practicing relaxation methods might be one of the best ways to heal ourselves. 

• Posted

I wanted to add that all the good information I have now about shingles and also nerve pain came from my own research and from this blog. Doctors have not given me any information beyond the basics. I still believe that most doctors know very little about the shingles virus and or even about the nerve pain associated with shingles. maybe because it is not as common an illness as other illnesses or it is associated with women or old age--both are not necessarily true anymore. 
  • Posted

I just wanted to thank everybody for the their feedback and help. Dealing with shingles is never easy. Sometimes i get paranoid I'm going to get it again since the small red pimples rashes hasn't disappeared yet and started to get itch every now and then. I hope everybody with this condition will get better soon!

• Posted

Rob,

Your welcome...

Please let us know how you are doing!

Best regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I had some red blotches for a while after the pain went away.
    • Posted

Hi Betty, 

I still have red blotches but I was told by a doctor they are scars. I hope they go away. The red blotchy area is where part of the shingles virus was and it gets itchy a lot. When I itch the area too much the blotches get redder and irritated so I try to leave it alone. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.