Still in pain 6 months after fractured fibula

Posted , 25 users are following.

Some 2 or so months ago I posted on here as I was concerned that 11 weeks after fracturing my fibula and suffering soft tissue damage I was still in a lot of pain. I had a lot of helpful advice from other posters so thank you for that. However it is now 6 months since my accident and I still can't walk very far or do much because of the pain in my foot. When I last posted I was about to see the NHS physio which I did and was given exercies to do but I'm still in almost as much pain when on my feet as I was months ago. Can anyone explain what is causing the pain and why it is not easing off? It is under the outside ankle, on the upper outside of the foot and on the inside arch. I appreciate that as I am 66 I may not heal as quickly as a younger woman but this seems to be going on a long time and I keep wondering whether there is something else causing the pain and not just tissue damage. Has anyone else been in the same position or can give me some advice?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I bought an ankle compression sock that I found at my local cvs.

I'm a size Womens US 9.5 and bought the L/XL for my foot to accommodate the swelling, and the S/M for when the swelling goes down. The foot has so many angles and pockets that it's hard to maintain good compression on it and this does a great job of doing that. It fits well under a splint or a compression stocking and made me feel very secure.

I also massage my foot and ankle with a silicon mitt that has 9 ball bearings attached to it. Each ball bearing is about the size of a marble and they feel great and help to break up the scar tissue.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

What I find very interesting is how we all seem to be being given different information as to how to assist in the healing. I was told not to use any kind of compression or supprt bandages but to do the exercises every day. I have to say that having now disciplined myself to do the exercises, my foot and ankle are definitely improving. Having asked around it appears that soft tissue damage does take a long time to fully heal and I suppose one just has to accept that. Yesterday was a milestone as I had my first day out for 7 months when a friend and I took the train down to Portsmouth Quays (an outlet mall). I took 2 painkillers before we went and didn't take my crutches. I managed to walk on it all day, apart from a few coffee stops, and only suffered a small amount of bearable pain. A month ago I was despairing that it would never get btter but now I can see some light at the end of the tunnel. So take heart people - it will get better.
    • Posted

Thank you for your very helpful post.

I'm 3 months after my ankle surgery. Three broken bones and dislocation. Screws, plates, I'm older,63 old female abd I'm completely broken. Helpless and lost... Your post gives me hope. I'm in splint, in great pain and ankle barely moves. Can't put more then 25 pounds of weight on it. Wonder if I will ever walk again...

Thank you for this helpline. I'm in San Francisco, Ca.

• Posted

i was wondering how was your outcome. its almost 5 months and im still unable to walk without a cane. im in therapy also an upcoming mri. they said it might be a ruptured ligament. im anxious to get to the bottom of this. I had a nonsurgical fibula fracture, didnt expect to be out of commission this long
    • Posted

Hi, how long did it take you to recover. I.m at over 4 months and still need crutches.

• Posted

Hi I'm the same age as you and have severe pain in my leg and it's getting worse. I had my leg operation quite a while ago and I can't even walk. My ankle is swollen all the time. I'm taking pain killer's but the don't stop the pain. I now get severe headaches and my Doctor dissent seem to care. What type of paint killer's are you on? And do.they help you x

• Posted

I'm in the same situation as you. I asked the Doctor why I'm still in pain but they don't give me any explanation. All the do is increase my pain meds. One day I'm fine but the next I'm in severe pain

• Posted

I suffered a spiral fracture of my tibia and fibula over 4 months ago.  I had open reduction and fixation of the leg and now have a 8 inch plate and at least a dozen screws in my leg.  The foot and ankle pain and swelling after my surgery was unbearable.  I was totally non weight bearing for 8 weeks before using a walker for partial weight bearing.  At this point my doctor and therapist wants me to start using a cane, which I try to do around the house, but the pain in my ankle and foot is still a real problem.  It swells every day, and I have yet to be able to put on any other than a sneaker laced loosely.  I've had a cortisone injection in the ankle and continue going to physical therapy twice a week.  I now also am taking an anti inflammatory prescription med.  It only helps a little.

My injury was from a fall at work, so I'm under workers comp right now, but get the feeling that I'm being rushed to be healed.  I'm afraid that returning to my job really won't be possible since it's pretty physical and I have to stand the whole time I'm at work except for breaks. I'm going to be 65, but need to keep working as long as I can.

I'm losing my patience with the whole situation.

• Posted

Hi.  i fell about 6 months ago as well and fractured my ankle.  I had surgery where a screw was placed to hold the bones while they healed.  the screw was then removed and I was told to weight bear on the foot.  I also had physical therapy.  I was told not to use a cane after I was weaned off of the crutches.  

I still walk with a limp and when I am travelling I still need the cane, because without it, I walk very slow.  Manicat, how are you doing now?  I know some people say it might take up to a year for total healing.  I am 55 and I guess my bones take a while to heal.  My doctor told me to only come back to see him if I have concerns. If I stand, its not too bad, but when I sit for a while and have the foot elevated, once I start to walk, then I start to limp.  This also happens first thing in the morning when I wake up.  Any suggestions and how to get the foot alive and ready to move once you are awake?

• Posted

I broke my talus bone about 6 months ago and it still is swollen everyday and pretty stiff.. I'm on my feet all day at work and when I get home I am in a lot of pain and limping it's so frustrating and I'm wondering if my ankle still could be injured which I why I came here to hear everyone's stories which gives me hope that with exercise maybe my ankle can feel "normal" again because now it's just pretty depressing! I hope that you feel better! 

• Posted

Hi Manicat, as this was posted 2 years ago was wondering how your doing as I can commiserate with you?I broke my fibula almost 6 months ago which I was informed didn't require surgery as it was a simple straightforward fracture although there was tearing of ankle ligaments.I had a cast on for 7 weeks then a boot for the following 6 weeks. Still walking with a crutch and lots of ankle swelling with pain despite doing all advice that was given. I'm having regular 6 weekly appointments which demonstrates that there is very little healing of the fracture. Cannot call it a non-union until the 6 months has passed!!! It's been a real roller coaster of emotions as I have been unable to work or drive. I'm normally a really active fit person and I've been going crazy at lack of mobility. The thought of having surgery at this late stage if there is no improvement is really depressing as it's going to be back at stage 1 again. Hence my posting to inquire on your progress so far and hoping you are back to "normal"

• Posted

I had surgery 7.5 months ago. The bone healed really fast, in at least 30 days. The doctor looked at the X-Rays last time and said it was healed. I am experiencing a lot of pain on the inside of the ankle now though. It is off and on though. If I sit for too long, I will have to walk off them pain. Or if I run sometimes, afterwards. I feel I have had this type of pain before though when I was younger so I am using foot powder and Tinactin for athletes foot. Plus, stretching. I am going back to the doctor after a year, I hope regular remedies will help it heal at this point.
    • Posted

I can just say, I broke my fibula, ankle, had screws/plates on the leg. The leg healed really fast, but, it affects your entire body. My rids, other leg, and other issues I just had to work through with physical therapy, Tylenol, Advil, which worked better than the prescribed drugs. Used Ben Gay, and Extra Strength which burns like Icy Hot but after a few weeks it works permanently.It takes a year, and jogging, light running, cardio, for me my body has to start over and absorb the scar tissue. Your resilient so it will get better but it takes a long time and you can feel more sensitive to your surroundings but don’t let it get to you because your building back up to 100%.
  • Posted

I am 7 weeks post distal fibula orif. I went back to work 3 days post surgery to a sitting/standing (on crutches of course) job. I had severe edema to the foot. Could not wear the splint after surgery because it felt like it was cutting into the incision. Only using ace wrap to support ankle. I was into a boot with TWB only and at 4 weeks post op I was started on physical therapy with orders for 75% weight bearing by 6 weeks post op and 100% at 8 weeks. Pretty much FWB at 4 weeks though with boot and at 6 weeks no more boot. I am just curious. Leg hurts att the time. I can function at work through pain with only ibuprofen. But when I stop moving or try to lay down the leg comes to life. Every sensation you can imagine from shooting pains, knife cutting pain, bugs crawling on or under skin, chills crawling up my leg, to the feeling a tens unit is on my leg. It's horrible. 300mg of gabapentin, my evening 800mg of ibuprofen and a t3 tab takes forever to kick in. And the incision has not completely healed. Plus in first 4 weeks I did a total of 24 days of 2 different antibiotics. Anyone else having similar issues?

• Posted

Hi,

I know this is an old post but looking for some advice. I broke my ankle on the 23rd June 2018. I had surgery on the 8th of july 2018, had plates, screws and kay wires fitted. I was in a cast then for 6 weeks and had the cast removed on the 17th of august 2018. The consultant advised me to be fwb from that day, however gave me a boot to use for the first week. I have had 2 physio sessions (which are pointless) yet I still do not seem to be improving. I cannot fully weight bear, my ankle still swells.. which I know is normal, but I am in AGONY. It aches and keeps bruising up still.

Please does anyone have any advice!!!

• Posted

Hi Rosie,

Sorry to hear about your broken ankle.  I broke mine July 2017.  I had surgery and they had to put in just one screw!.  But one year later my ankle still swells on a daily basis.  When I sit or lie down then get up it hurts, it takes a while then its not too bad.  It seems like these types of fractures stay with some people for life.  I know of folks who broke their ankle and within a few months they are back to normal.  Others of us it takes quite a while and I mean quite a while.  My doctor told me not to come back to him, only if I have a problem.  But I think I need to revisit him to make sure that everything is ok with this ankle.

• Posted

were the plates and screws taken out?  My screw was taken out.  I think that Age has a lot to do with it as well.  I am 55.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.