Still in pain 8 1/2 weeks post hemorrhoidectomy

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

OK. What gives?? Amost 9 weeks post surgery and some improvement but not enough for the amt of time thats passed, even my surgeon said so. I am still on 1-2 painkillers a day, always after bm's. Even an easy bm and a bath and cream applied and only lying down in my sides (still) because I still cannot lay on my back for the bottom pain and pressure and sitting is still minimal (no more than 30 min at one time or I pay for it), I need a pain pill to get through rest of the day. I am not constipated. Dr says the external looks good and healing well so probs must be internal. I have not been scoped...I think the prob may be too many bm's not allowing my internal anus to heal. Has anyone else had gastrointestinal issued pretty bad since having this surgery? I literally poop every time I eat anything. I have found NOTHING that my body can digest and stay in my system for at least a day before a bm is needed. Its as if Ive developed IBS but thats impossible, right? Ive lost over 20 pounds already just from not being able to eat w/o almost immediate bm (which causes pain afterward for hours). Even soup. Im terrified of food now, but I get hungry and take a chance on eating a little something, hoping it wont tear my stomach up, but it does. They are gonna do an abdominal ultrasound soon to check my gallbladder or for gastritis or some stomach ailment thats contributing to my belly pain and inability to eat w/o going to bathroom. EXAMPLE: I ate a small bowl of chicken stew on a very cold rainy day. The next day I pooped 7 times, and all of it was the stew...REALLY??? Whats happening to me? My rectum will never heal and I will never be rid of this horrible pain if my bm's dont slow down. Could this be my gallbladder? I take meds for my nerves (anxiety) and Ive started pepcid and a digestive probiotic hoping one or both will help. Anyone out there also going through this, and if so, plz tell me what, if anything, helps you be able to eat w/o chronic bm's.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

1 week post hemorroidectomy.

😭 id rather have both of my labours, forceps and an emergency cesarean allover again.

any tips highly appreciated.

have sitz bath and ice wedge things aswell as codeine and ibuprofen.

• Posted

Hi Kay

I'm 7 weeks post op . The pain in the beginning is definately excruiating! Remember take your laxatives, stool softners and eat fiber as much as possible and lots of water. The only way I was able to get through the worst parts was with a heating pad or magic bag in the microwave and the heat really helped alot!! Also make sure to get lidocaine numbing lotion from the pharmacy this will also help alot.

I am still taking laxatives and softners because I'm too afraid to stop just yet and I still have pain and soreness after BM and occasionally bleeding as well .

Its a slow process but we'll get through it ! Take your time and don't feel rushed everyone heals differently and what we read about a 2 week recovery online thats a bunch of BS ! No one can understand just how painful this surgery and recovery is unless they go through it . Reading these posts have really helped me to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I promise it does get better 😃

• Posted

im officially 1 month and 10 days post op and am still having extreme pain with every bm. normally at 2 a day being that i have removed my gallbladder last year in december so mostly everything i eat runs through me in a matter of minutes of eating.

3 week post op my doctor said "everything is healing correctly and in about 6 more weeks i wouldnt doubt youll be fully healed"

its now been 3 weeks since that visit and still feel like the swelling has not subsided.

its hard to know when i will heal because i dont have time to heal being that i have many bm a day.

any tips?

i feel somewhat at ease knowing people are experiencing what i am but i would do anything to stop this pain and finally heal for good.

😦 thanks for your time.

• Posted

just thought id add that i do take about 3 stool softners every night paired with a cap full of miralax being that most my bm's are early in the day/morning.

and after every bm i do soak in a sitz bath for 10-15 mins.

• Edited

I want to thank all of you who are sharing your stories. I also have spent time crying and feeling depressed about the slow healing process. While it is frustrating to hear that some people took nearly a year to heal, it’s good to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I could not imagine living like this forever. I had my hemorrhoid ectomy on July 16. Doctor said I would stop being sore in two weeks and now I am 12 weeks out and I am still sore. I still leak clear yellowish fluid. Some advice for women is to wear. sI also have spent time crying and feeling depressed about the slow healing process. While it is frustrating to hear that some people took nearly a year to heal, it’s good to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I could not imagine living like this forever. Some advice for women is to invest in some menstrual underwear. these were helpful since a couple times I bled on the couch when I was sitting. The underwear will stop any leakage and give you more confidence to sit. I am able to pass stool once a day without much pain, but I still bleed a bit. From there I get right into a hot sitz bath. I take five stool softeners a day, and have been on the exact same diet for three months. I’m afraid to try anything else because it’s working for me. I have a teaspoon of psyllium fiber in 8 ounces of water twice a day. I take cod liver oil supplements and a spoonful of coconut oil in the morning to grease up my system. Then Raisin bran and a big cup of tea, and then Miralax. For lunch, Triscuits and hummus, some sauteed spinach and an apple. For dinner, I have a small portion of salmon as it has good oils in it And I eat a lot of steamed zucchini, yellow squash, and bell peppers. and of course, water water water! I drink 6 to 7 bottles a day ! this has been a successful diet for me, although I am a little worried about what happens when I try new food again. I dream about cheeseburgers!

hope this helps people on their journey, And I think others for sharing their stories because they have definitely helped me today.. I’m seeing a lot of common issues on this thread and it does make me feel better that I’m not crazy. I thank everyone for sharing their stories because they have definitely helped me. like others, i feel like there’s something pointy in there when i start a BM. I feel aching pressure after standing a long time and always at the end of the day, too. still! Crying in frustration as well. i am retired, so I can’t imagine how people handle this if they have to go to work. I suppose I’m lucky in that regard.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.