Still niggling

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone , me again !!!! 

11days after GR and bowel problems still. 

Diarhea then it stops and constipated for two days despite eating enough fibre and drinking water etc, today I go and it's yellow !!! 

Also in the past I had a bladder repair and since this GR op I find I'm wee'ing very strange , it's trickling out starting and stopping and wondered if any of you had tis trouble. 

Im still finding it hard to bend down and sleeping is so hard I have to get up frequently to belch and laying is still uncomfortable. 

Sorry to keep asking these questions but my husband thinks I'm ok as I don't tell him everything but I'm realy concerned. 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi gillypoo I'm sorry to hear you are going through all this. The bowel problems are all normal after 11 days. It can take 6-12 weeks for bowel to settle. Yellow stools are bile. Is it just in the mornings or are all your stools yellow. I also had the same bladder problems after the operation. It's probably to do with the anesthetic. It will settle too. The belching is also normal. You may start experiencing some indigestion too. Remember your digestive system has been altered significantly and it takes time for your body to adjust. The tenderness and soreness is also normal at this stage and should start improving over the next few days. I hope you start to feel better soon. Take care xx
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply , yes just in the mornings so I'm guessing it's where it's built up overnight ? God can't wait to be well again 😪
    • Posted

Yes it's the bile building up over night. A lot of people think this surgery is a walk in the park but for so many it takes time to adjust some quicker than others. What's driven me mad is that I wasn't sick beforehand just had the pain from the stone. Most people adjust within the 3 months and for others like me it can take a lot longer. I tried the questran and it made my diarrhea worse and made me vomit. Most people can tolerate it though and it helps them with the diarrhea. I am taking pysllium husks for the diarrhea and caltrate calcium tablets too and probiotics. I hope you will be one of the lucky ones and recover quickly. The diarrhea is not nice at all and very debilitating but very common after the surgery. Hopefully It will settle itself quickly for you. How's your appetite now? Have you had any heartburn? X
    • Posted

Well my appetite is ok eating well but low fat plenty of fibre and fruit but at night laying in bed I don't get heartburn I have a bloated feeling like I'm stuffed and my stomach sort of aches not burning but then through the night I start burping get rid of it but wake again an hour later doing  it again and all through the night I seem to be full of wind! Tried cutting down the fibre but still feel the same every night. X
    • Posted

Hi gillypoo that feeling full is awful. My consultant told me when I had the op I wouldn't be able to eat a big meal for a while and would feel full very quickly. I still get that feeling. It's like the food is just sitting in your tummy. The wind is normal too. I had a gnawing feeling in my tummy for a long time but that's gone now. Getting some indigestion at times too after I eat. Hopefully it will settle in time. Seems to be part of the course! Am still sticking to low fat too. Found some lovely Turkey rashers the other day and they were low fat and gorgeous. My appetite was great until this nausea started! Had a good day today. Had the nausea this morning and dry wretched which was disappointing but it went by 1030 and I felt normal. Hopefully it will go soon. Sandynan is right about the questran. They won't prescribe it until your 6-8 weeks over the operation. Take care x
    • Posted

Sounds awful glad I don't have that but glad your feeling a bit better. I'm at doctors tomorrow so will talk to him and try and get some answers lol !!!

Thanks again for your help xxx

• Posted

Hi there, Acejohnston    was just wondering how you doing latley. i had my gall bladder removed  nearly 4 weeks today,  im waking in the morning with stomach cramps  and diorehha, always in the early hours of the morning not got a great appetite,  eating small bits  and low in fat,  been getting alot of indegestion and backache through out the day  and only relieved when i go to bed,   the only meds im taking is omeprazole  and propranolol for anxiety,   Just wondering if everything did settle for you,  and any helpfull ints  would be appreciated,   take care x
    • Posted

Hi Patricia hope you dont mind me replying but as soon as I saw that you are taking Omprazole I had to lol I wqas told by my Consultant to stop taking Omprazole and Pantoprazole they both cause D! I was prescribed Ranitidine (Zantac) 300mg at night, I still get terrible D I dont think that will ever go but if I were you I would ask your Consulkt ant to prescribe something other than Omprazole xxx 
    • Posted

Thankyou sandynan,  im at my wits end with it all  been to see my doctor 3 times since i got out of hospital after surgery.  first of all i couldnt eat anything at all  even sips of water was making me sick,  lost so much weight over a period of 5 weeks,   To be truthfull my doctors are not very helpfull   and me and my hubby was talking about changing surgerys,  as most of our old doctors who we trusted have all left,   Basically  they just keep telling me its all early days yet,  and to give the omprazole some time longer  possibly a couple of more weeks.    I have tested positive few years ago for hpylori  and was treated with antibiotics      the symptoms are near enough the same what im getting now,  but they cant test me for it untill ive been on the omprazole for longer,   To be truthfull im scared of coming of the omprazole for fear of being sick again. as i do feel abit better on them apart from the diorehha.  but either way ill have to stop them soon whilst i be tested,  xxx
    • Posted

Hi Patricia am sorry to hear your not feeling well after your operation. Sandynan is right about the omeprazole. I was on it prior to my operation and for about 3 months afterwards and then I stopped it as I had a scope and my stomach was fine. These meds are only meant to be taken in the short term and recent research has found links between them and an increased risk of heart attack. You should also be taking magnesium and a multivitamin as they can cause absorption issues long term. You would be better taking digestives enzymes as the reason for gastritis is not enough acid in the tummy and not too much as we've all been told is the case. I'm ok now but it's been one hell of a ride one I would not do again or would I recommend the surgery to anyone. Doctors are too quick at removing this organ and not addressing the root cause which they know is linked to hormone imbalances which I was told at the time. I got worse after the operation as I also had a huge cyst on my ovary causing a lot of my problems and my doctors now admit my gallbladder should not have been removed. I am taking psyllium husk powder for the diarrhea still but don't know whether I still have it or not and am afraid to stop it in case the diarrhea returns. I do plan on stopping it at some stage to see what happens. I also take Manuka honey and probiotics which also help. I don't really get indigestion now and I don't eat any dairy or sugary food purely out of choice. I can eat most things with no problems.  My appetite has never been the same since the operation either and I never feel hungry and get full very quickly which my surgeon did tell me would happen. It takes a while for everything to settle down as your liver now has to adapt to the lose of your gallbladder and to controlling the flow of bile. The diarrhea should settle down as it does for most people but can take from 6 weeks to a year or so in some people. I also took milk thistle for a long time after the surgery and found that helped too. Also we are told to eat low fat but this is totally incorrect we need to eat good fats to help make cholesterol which helps in breaking down food and it's vital for our overall health and hormones in particular. My whole diet has changed dramatically. I eat a lot of good fats like avocados, almond and coconut butter, Almonds and Brazil nuts,  chia and flax seed and lots of green veg and lots and lots of fruit. For now stick to plain food. The morning diarrhea is bile dumping and that should settle down soon. I would stop the omeprazole if you can and try digestive enzymes as now you have no gallbladder you need your tummy to do its job and produce acid to break down the food. If you do stop you might get a rebound effect  which is heartburn and indigestion but it's actually your stomach beginning to produce acid again and does settle down. Unfortunately it's all a slow process but it should all settle down for you. Take care 
    • Posted

Thankyou Acejohnson for replying,  i can only stay on the omprezole for another 2 weeks as i have to come off them to be tested for the hpylori, so hopefully should be able stay off them. if not i will be seriously asking for something different,      Was just wondering if anyone can tell me if they had like back ache in the right shoulder blade and indegestion  after there gall bladder was removed,  im hopeing im right  and been told  this is because of the acid in the bile duct build up   but should improve in time,    keep thinking allsort like they left behind a stone  as it feels like the back ache from before i had the gall bladder out   not pain just like a dull ache   ?    as we speak  my hubby is in the health shop buying me some of the digestive enzymes.   so hope they work,   and thankyou everyone for your replys   take care xxx 
    • Posted

Hi Patricia yes I had indigestion for a long time afterwards but thankfully don't get it really at all now. Did you have keyhole surgery as pain that the shoulder blade is a common side effect after keyhole surgery and can last 6 weeks or so. Keep as positive as you can. It will all settle down. My doctor kept telling me it would settle down but would take time as she had seen it before many times over her 30 years as a doctor and she was right! You'll get through it. Take care and take one day at a time x
    • Posted

Hi again Acejohnson  today and yesterday ive been suffering with heart palpations  dizziness  and body twitching   witch as frightened the life out of me  after looking at the side effects from the omeprazole  it looks to be them,  but our doctors is closed now for the easter weekend   im really stuck  as i dont no wether to just stop taking them.   but im scared that if its a stomach ulcer  without them it will go worse   any help ? xxx
    • Posted

That doesn't sound good. I would stop them until Monday and see how you feel. It will take a few days to get out of your system. I swear by Manuka honey. I take New Zealand Manuka honey 400 mgo and it's brilliant. Great for stomach and for ulcers too. Might help you. X
    • Posted

Hi Acejohnson  well only took one of the omeprazole today instaed of the 2  and already feeling sick and stomach cramp,  feeling so depressed at the min seems like everytime i have a good day i have a bad day straight after.    Just hopeing a doctor will sort something out this time  as they just seem fob me off,   nothing worse than  waking up early hours of morning with stomach cramps  diorehha,  then feeling sick all day  then it sets of my panic attacks,    Ive heard alot of people mention Questran  but dont think its available in the uk,   Thanks for writing back to me x
    • Posted

Am sorry to hear this Patricia. Questran is available in the UK in sachets. There is also a pill form called colestid. I have been on both and they didn't agree with me but a lot find them good for bile diarrhea. The psyllium husk powder works great for me. They usually don't prescribe the bile binders until at least 8 weeks or so after the operation as diarrhea is common for the first few months. Is it yellow bile diarrhea? X
    • Posted

Thankyou for that Acejohnston   are the psyllium husk powders on perscription or  can you buy from shops ?    yes i will leave getting anything for now  as like everyone said  to give it time really    yes has been yellow bile diorehha,   but this morning for a change it was actually normal colour  xx
    • Posted

Patricia you can get Questran in the UK I started on that but couldn't stomach it That's when I found out about Colesevelam it does calm the D down but I still have very bad days I am just getting over a really bad flare up for no apparent reason. I take two a day and of course imodium
    • Posted

Sandynan i hope you don't mind me asking but why do you only take two colesevelam a day when you can take up to six a day, have you tried taking six a day? You may not need the imodium then and it might prevent the bad flare ups you have, i take three twice a day
    • Posted

Thankyou Sandynan, seems like i get more information out of this site  than my own doctors,    i am seriously considering changing my doctors  as they are really not helpfull.   thankyou everyone for the information x
    • Posted

Hi Ann I was taking as many as I could when I first started on them but I started getting ho

Dreadful reflux and I suffer from a vomiting phobia I started getting panic attacks

So I just take the two which I can cope with but even when I was taking the full amount

I was still getting bad flare ups xx

• Posted

Hi Sandynan sorry to hear that how they affected you,

we all all very different on this site with similar problems

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.