Still not feeling good after Sertraline reaction.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I posted two days on here about my bad reaction to Sertraline and how it affected me. The side effects were really bad on my body and I had to stop taking them. I only took them for three days 50MG but I halved them and the last time I took one was four days ago but I ended up at the ER because I was very worried and felt like I was going to pass out or die. 

Anyway, since I stopped taking them the following has gone;

shaking.

headache.

vomiting.

diarrhea.

sweating.

However, I still have some side effects like dizziness but not as badly as before and I just don't feel myself at all. My anxiety is sky high right now, I'm nervous and anxious and have small panic attacks throughout the day. It's bugging me because I can't relax. I also feel like I have chest pains but I don't know if that's just the anxiety. I'm able to eat, drink and sit still but for some reason I feel the need to check my pulse every now and then. At the ER they checked me out and said everything is fine and normal. 

My question is, how long will it be before I feel myself again? Will I feel myself again!? How long does this stuff take to get out your system and I will not experience withdrawal symptoms, will I? Also, I've read on other posts where people are worse off than me but they do not feel themselves after months when they stop taking the pills. It's making me worried. My brain keeps telling me to worry in case I pass out and die lol and so I do worry. So f*cking irritating. 

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I took sertraline 50mg for 8 days but stopped cold turkey as the side effects were horrendous. All I get is people moaning that I didn't give it long enough to work. Well sorry I'd rather not take it than feel like that. I've been having CBT with a counsellor and am starting to feel normal again apart from some feelings that you're experiencing like dizziness, headaches and nausea. Professionals say you have to take the drug at least 2-4 weeks to have any withdrawal side effects but everyone's different.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, lynne. Did you take anything before the Sertraline? Did you take anything after it?

I was on Mirtazapine for two years for depression and my sleep but I slowly weaned myself off them before taking Sertraline and then after three days I stopped the Sertraline as well because of the effects it had on me. When did you start to feel yourself again?

• Posted

Please google serotonin syndrome hon. Know body knows you better than yourself. Doctors/nurses are clueless!! I cannot emphasise tis more. I was put on Citlpram (another SSRI! To help me and made matters 100 times worse. They don't no what they are prescribing or how it will affect you individually. You may not believe me but take care and trust your own instincts. My symptoms were:

Vomiting

No appetite

Slight Hallucination

Tremors

Insomnia

Irratic mental state

Dizzy ness

Panic attacks

I was put on theses drugs for slight palpitations and I ended up with a major panic disorder.

I am not on anything at the moment - my body/nervous system/ mind needs to heal.

• Posted

You will get better every day however you will have good and bad days
    • Posted

I had this reaction within an hour of taking Setraline.

• Posted

No I didn't take anything before sertraline and have taken nothing since stopping it. Only took it 8 days and have now been off it for 14 days but am starting to get some weird symptoms today - feel weird, tingling, headaches, etc. Don't know whether these are side effects of stopping sertraline, I assumed I'd get withdrawal effects withing the first week
    • Posted

Hi Lynne, just after reassurance, I was put on sertraline and only took it for 6 days as I couldn't hack the side effects and read to much into it and it's scared me, anyway I have this strange feeling in my nose I don't know if it's anything to with the ssri or just a common sinus problem as it's between my eyes, other than that I feel fine better than when I was taking sertraline.. I'm back at the docs Wednesday, how are u feeling 6 months on? It's scared me to death, Ive tried fluoxetine, citalopram and never stuck them out for more than a week as they make me Ill, I suffer with anxiety.
  • Posted

Hi, how are u feeling 6 months on? I took sertraline for 6 days and I felt awful so stopped. Now it's worrying me.
    • Posted

how are u feeling being off? i feel horrible too its been aweek and i have had a few panic attacks sad idk whether to keep taking the sertraline or to just stop
  • Posted

Hello

I hope things improved for you.

I was recently put on sertraline and had exactly the same reaction as you feeling like I would pass out and couldn’t breathe properly. I only took them 50mg for 4 days then stopped and went back on to venlafaxine which i has been on for past 5 years. 

Anyway 3 weeks after stopping sertraline my anxiety is the worst it’s ever been and i wonder how long it takes to feel normal again. How did things go for you did it take a long time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.