Still tired at 10 weeks

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I am 10 weeks post rtkr. I have good days and some not good days. I went to my pt on Thursday and the best at this point for rom is 104. I still have some pain and numbness on half my knee. I feel like I’m carringing a led weight in my knee.  My problem is, I’m pretty exhausted most of my days. I’ve asked this question awhile ago but thought I would be past the exhaustion at this point. I take over the counter B12. I’m excited to get back to work on June 18th but am wanting my old energy back. Is anybody experiencing this? 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm 4 mths and change post op and left half of my left replacement is still numb.  And your ROM is better than mine.  And yes yes to the weight feeling.  And sometimes mine feels like 1000 right rubber bands around it.  Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Martha 

Thank you for your response. I’m hoping my energy will surprise me and come back sooner than later! 

Best regards 

• Posted

Hi Lynda!

I was exhausted way past 10 weeks. I know that you feel that's a long time but with regards to this surgery it is still early. My energy began to pick up in March on a more regular basis and my surgery was in August. Even now I sometimes tucker out as sleep is evasive every once in awhile. Don't worry  it all comes together it's just a whole lot slower than we would like. 

Listen to your body and rest when needed. Ice, continue any meds and exercise. It will all work out. Best wishes 😘

• Posted

Hi Robin 

Thank you for this information.  I’m hoping when I get back to work everything will fall into place.

Best wishes 

• Posted

Had my TKR Nov 2017 ,I am doing Great I can tell the weather and yes sometime my knee feels heavy I still have some pain, swelling especially when i am on my feet a lot . Numbness I still have that on outside of my knee all I can say is time heal all wounds be be patient

• Posted

I may have already posted this....I do copy and paste paragraphs sometimes due to my current whizzing around on new knee and only dropping by on forum for short snippets of time..

The tiredness is difficult, especially when you need to get on with more things!

I am now 12 months post op and have all my energy back. At 9 months I felt normal with respect to energy levels.

It sounds like you are doing really well. Well done!

My Rom improved a lot 12 weeks onwards and continued to improve up to the year mark.

Give yourself a round of applause and as much rest as you can.

Tiredness....yes

But it doesn't last for ever, even if it feels like it does. It is hard to pace things but I guess just try and put as many things which need doing on hold for later and deal only with the essentials. rest is an important part of the process.

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. It's got a lot of general information in it, and gives you one person's experience right from hospital to the 12 month mark!

• Posted

Hi Lynda I am 16 weeks & still very tired.My leg more often than not feels like a lump of lead and like you totally numb on right side of my knee.Having said all that apparently it is quite normal for some people.

I am retired so don’t have to worry about going back to work but I honestly don’t think I would have been able to at this stage.Good luck??

• Posted

Thank you Pat for your response .

It’s good to know there are others out there the same as me.  I wish you a quick recovery.

• Posted

19 weeks post op...just now seeing an increase in my energy level.  From the numbers on my fitness tracker it started about a week and a half ago!!!!  
  • Posted

My main question to you would be how are you sleeping?

I ask this because I had TKR 6 years ago and had a lot of trouble sleeping afterwards because of pain and discomfort.

Even now 6 years later I usually wake in the night (though not in pain and discomfort still!), which I never used to do. It seems to have completely changed my sleeping pattern.

If you are not sleeping well of course you will be exhausted.

Don't give up, it does get better this is still quite early days.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah 

I have taken Lunesta for the last several years at night. I have a job that two nights out of the week I get off at 10:00. I work on the other days during the day and off in the afternoon. Regardless, I have never slept well at night. My mind just doesn’t shut down.  I currently take ambien to help sleep with no weird side effects. I’ve been taking this for about 2weeks now. It seems to help me get some good hours in for sleep. When I said I was tired it’s a real energy drain. Something I’ve not felt before this surgery.  I do still toss in the night trying to find that comfortable spot. This whole tkr has me wondering if I did the right thing!  I read every ones threads and hope I eventually get to where a lot of you all are at. 

• Posted

When I asked my doc why I was so exhausted all the time early on, she said: "All the healing energy in your body is being directed at your knee."  Recommendation: Eat healthy, high protein, hydrate a lot, no artificial sweeteners, no junk food, lots of salads and Lean Cuisines, ice, elevate, do the ROM work and then the muscle rebuild.

Most of all, if your body wants to rest, rest.  Sleep as long as you need to.  There is no time schedule here.  Your knee will be better when it's better.

Good days...bad days.  Post this on your fridge..

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

• Posted

Hi Chico

Thank you for your words of wisdom!  Yes my doctor said the same thing. So I’m hoping it corrects itself sooner than later.  As the good diet. Yes you are correct. I try most days, but other days I just grab a bowl of cereal and some toast.  

• Posted

Yes, it's normal to be tired at this stage of the process. Your symptoms are the same as mine were at that point I'm 17 weeks post TKR and some days I feel like I have a lead ball in my knee and slight numbness also.  I will take my prescribed pain meds some days. It will get better. Your energy level will increase also. I didn't believe it but it does. Hang in there.

• Posted

Your fatigue is absolutely normal. Your body is still healing. I am 13 weeks post tkr and my mind thinks of things to do but once I've begun I have to sit and rest. It just takes a ling time . I ran errands yesterday and had a very swollen and painful knee last night. Be patient. Hoping things go well for you as you return to work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.