Still waiting bulging discs and spinal stenosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Getting frustrated I have herniated discs L4/5S1 and narrowing of canal had MRI CT scans X-rays nuclear bone scan waiting to see neurosurgeon again in agony the worst is driving and now erectile dysfunction is getting worse Now taking more meds than I can count hard to be positive any advice would be greatly appreciated 😞😞

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My neuro found stenosis at L2/L3 last year...already fused L3 through S1.  Eight months into a knee replacement recovery and it just completely knocked me down.  Didn't get it all figured out for a while.  MRI showed it in late November, a CT/Myelogram with contrast confirmed it in January, and a pain shot to L2/L3 double-confirmed in February.  Took until the end of March 2017 to get the surgery to fix it (surgeon coordination required).

Neuro told me I had two choices.  Option A was to open my back, pull all the L3 to S1 metal and re-fuse me L2 to S1.  Ten days in the hospital plus six months of back brace and rehab.  Or...

Option B: a LATERAL Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF). A General Surgeon goes in from your SIDE (lateral) and clears a path to your spine through the muscles and moves "stuff" out of the way.  The Neurosurgeon then goes in, destroys the disk, puts the "device" in place, cranks it open with an Allen wrench, backfills it with a bone graft from your hip and backs away from the table.  The General Surgeon does the close.  All finished in 90 minutes.  One night in the hospital, ZERO rehab.  

Thank you...I'll take one from Column B, please...

Result: Immediate stenosis relief (all the pain was gone when I woke up), speeding down the hallways, climbing up and down PT stairs.  See the attached pix.  You'll clearly see the "device" above my old fusion; the lateral picture shows how the neuro cranked the posterior edge open further than the anterior edge to maintain spine curvature.  

If you have single-level stenosis, this cures it in a heartbeat.  Docs will also do this for a second level at the same time...not more than two.  It replaces an old TLIF fusion with the rails and screws.  You just need the diagnosis and then find a neuro who's done a thousand of these.  He'll know the GS to call.  Search YouTube for "globus lateral" to see a cute animation of the LLIF procedure.  (Don't get freaked out by the retractor...you're fast asleep and never actually see it...)

Hope this helps...

• Posted

Wow, you're well up on these!! Option B sounds great, 90 minutes - I was 9.5 hours in surgery! 

How are you keeping now?

Linda

• Posted

Had the decreasing nerve pain on the front of my thighs (connected to L2/L3 so it was expected) for four weeks.  At eight weeks, doc gave me clearance to resume PT and exercise program from last year's knee replacement.  I had zero stenosis pain from the moment I woke up so this was GREAT!!!!  Starting to work my legs and strengthening my core again...finally...

Docs can now do this for one- and two-level fusions IF your neuro uses this procedure.  If not, ask him/her why not.  Then get a second opinion from someone who does and compare the responses.  Remember I also have a four-level TLIF fusion (L3 - S1) because my lower back was a "junkyard" (doc's word...not mine...); this technique works for the smaller ones IF it's the right procedure to fix YOUR problem.  Just putting out an option.  Do your research...ask the right question ("You want to do a TLIF.  Why won't an LLIF work for me?"wink.  Why go through all that pain and rehab if there's a faster, simpler procedure that will fix you?  Just sayin'...

• Posted

Thanks for that Chico. I have my 6 month appointment with my Consultant on 7th July so I might just ask the question. Though asking the question probably won't do anything for me, the NHS is in a very bad way with very long waiting lists for just about every,thing 😱 Where do you live Chico Marx?

• Posted

Hi Chico,

No I live in Northern Ireland not England but we are British! It has been real bad in England especially the Manchester bombing. My daughter lives in Manchester and she said that for a few days it was eerily quiet. Where in Texas do you live? My son and family live in Houston, they love it there. So much so they have just recently bought a house there in Katy, if you know it. The house isn't finished yet but they should be ready for moving in late July.

I was reading down through the posts on here earlier and I take my hat off to you Chico especially after reading you were 70, I'm 65 and I can hardly move out of bed! I need to take some of what you're taking!! 😂😂

Linda x

• Posted

Houston???  I cannot take the humidity down there.  I ovisited Houston one February and it was 78-degrees and 97% humidity without a cloud in the sky.  Wanted to stick a fork in my eye...  I'm originally from New York City where it gets to be 95-degrees with 95% humidity in August.  There are days when you go through five t-shirts.

Here a little west of Fort Worth, it gets to 100-degrees but the humidity is only 30%.  For me, that's heaven.  My wife is used to the 3% humidity in the mountains of New Mexico at 8,000 feet.  It's torture here for her but we can't move.  The altitude there is bad for her blood pressure and the cold/ice/snow is impossible for me with a metal hip, knee and spine (4 1/2 pounds of titanium, cobalt-chromium and surgical steel).  I'm so glad to be here now.

Planned on getting back on my rollerblades for a leisurely glide (definitely can't play hockey anymore) back in January after my knee recovery but stenosis at L2/L3 last October killed that plan.  Fusion two months ago.  Now I have to rehab knee AND spine.  Skates are STILL in the closet...DAMN...  I'll be 70 in 8 months and still work full time as a Process Architect in IT for AT&T corporate in Dallas (46 years in computers)...don't think I'll ever retire...love the work.  Gigging blues bassist on weekends.  IT...left brain.  Music...right brain.  Trying to understand my wife...I have no brain at all.

• Posted

Hi Wayne,

I used to drink regularly before my accident, but stopped as soon as I started taking the list of meds for pain relief. As I also take 40 mgs fluoxetine daily I must admit to feeling tired and lethargic at all times, gets on my wife's nerves. I am 67 now, right up to 61 I was very strong and active, in the building trade. It really took it out of me watching my triceps disappear, I had arms like pop-eye, now there like Olives,16 stone of muscle and blood now 16 stone of uselessness.

Oh, by the way, my downstairs department hasn't worked for about 4 years, I do have urinary problems connected to my cervical stenosis/spondylitis and my old path.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi,

This Pudendal nerve, never heard of it until now. I have cervical spine problems at C 4567, spinal cord compression at all four levels. Symptoms include loss of all upper body strength, numb arms and fingers, terrible pain in neck, shoulders and recently both legs. I take Tamsulosin so that I can urinate.I had a bladder scan, several actually, and the Urologist informed me that my bladder sphincter was being compromised by the spinal cord compression.

Now, I have of late found it increasingly difficult to void my bowels, although I take a laxative at night because of my meds causing constipation.

Now,no matter how long I sit on the loo I never feel finished, empty. Could this be because of cervical spine problems or am I getting problems with this Pudendal nerve.

Mike.

• Posted

Everything I could find on this indicated that the nerve was sacral in origin not cervical.  There's plenty out there on the web.  Find some charts that indicate what nerve root affecting what parts of the body emanate from what vertebrae.

Example: I had severe stenosis (think double leg sciatica) at L2/L3.  Simple LLIF (lateral) fusion to fix it.  Had severe but decreasing nerve pain in the front of both thighs for four weeks post-op.  Absolutely correct as the retracted nerve roots at L2/L3 control those thigh nerves.

You have to find what vertebrae control (pinch) the nerves that affect each part of your body.  That's the answer you're looking for.

• Posted

Hi Chico Marx,

That was sort of the point I was trying to make. After 6 years trawling the net looking at charts and reading differing reports about the spine I was getting more confused.

I am writing from the UK and my experience with all the medics I have seen are simular." Don't go on American websites" is usually the first bit of advice, or "don't believe anything you read on the net". We don't get to pick and choose our treatment or the professionals doing the treatment. It took 13 months of routine tests and X rays, mris and ct scans, as well as nerve conductivity tests to be told what I had diagnosed myself many months before by going on American websites. My neurosurgeon was absolutely adamant that my bladder problems could in any way be linked to my cervical spinal troubles. He kept sending me back to urology department until after 4 invasive examinations and urodynamics video test proved conclusively that it was down to my cervical spinal cord compression interfering with my bladder sphincter.

I even read on an American neurosurgeons page that he had self diagnosed his cervical stenosis was definitely to blame for his legs giving up on him, he ruled out everything else even though he had told his patients it was impossible, before getting it himself. I think the nervous system is a lot more complex than us mere mortals understand.

Mike.

• Posted

"I think the nervous system is a lot more complex than us mere mortals understand."  No kidding...

I'm very lucky that my cousin Greg has been a doc for 50 years so I ask him questions.  About the web...I wrote this for my TKR group but it totally applies...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/reliable-tkr-information-582123

If your diagnosis is really stenosis, then consider the LLIF procedure I described above.  Cured mine in an instant.  Challenge the docs; get the relief you deserve.

• Posted

Hi Chico Mark,

Cervical stenosis with spondylosis and myolepathy are what I have been diagnosed with. Although I already had osteophyts (bone spurs)present in my spinal canal it all went out of control after my accident. I fell off a ladder and hit the right side of my head against a brick wall. Needless to say, the wall won. It pushed my neck over to my left and set off an abnormal self healing of bony growths growing inside, instead of outside the spinal canal. As soon as I was diagnosed,13 months later, I signed consent forms for two operations to correct my cervical spine.Unfortuneatly the operations were cancelled 3 times over an 18th month period.

Now, 6 years after the accident my Neurologist has told me he cannot operate as the whole of the cervical spine is affected and it would mean total neck fusion with no flexing or manipulation of the neck.

Now you and I know that if I waved a million or so under his nose he would miraculously find a way.

Mike.

• Posted

Geez...  Obviously, this is not a simple fix.  Damn...  And there's nothing but a full cervical fusion?  Second opinions?  Can acupuncture help relieve the pain?  Geez..........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.