Stinging nettle root extract.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all,

Just been reading up on this and wondered if any of you have tried this in an attempt to alleviate your symptoms of BPH.

If so I would be interested in hearing whether you found any benefit from taking it and, if so, how long it took to see any positive effects.

In particular I was thinking of trying, if I can get hold of it in the UK, a particular 'blend' of stinging nettle root extract and saw palmetto which seems to get good reviews when googling it.

It goes under three brand names: prostagutt forte, prostactive plus and prostol.

Has anyone tried any of these?

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've been told green tea and also cranberry juice my prostatitis is playing up at min badly ,I will try anything once to help ,as for nettle tea why not try it hope it helps
  • Posted

I often wonder about 'herbal' medicine's and how much you have to really consume to make a difference. From what I have read the prostate grows at 5% a year. depending on your size, mine is 50g. It doesn't take much for it to start being a problem. After my surgery this week, I am hoping not to be looking over my shoulder constantly, worrying about where the bathroom is...I'm sure we have all been thru that aspect of going to a ball game or just out and about. I am being proactive and getting this thing fixed. Hopefully once and for all. I'm 69,  fit and overall healthy, My weight is fine. I can't wait to get my life back. ( fingers crossed).

I have hear that zinc and saw palmento 'help'. The Flomax and Proscar I was on did the job, until the gall bladder operation things were or seemed to be OK, but 3 catheter's in and out, after my gall bladder surgery on July 14th, its now time for  TURP surgery, to finally fix this thing.

• Posted

Hi Mike,

I try to keep an open mind as regards 'alternative' remedies. They seem to work for some but not for others.That is why I am trying to get some 'first hand' experiences from someone who has tried the 'blends' I mention.

What a coincidence you have had gall bladder surgery in July. I had my gall bladder removed quite a few years ago now (I was only 24, I am 62 now). I was glad to be rid of it!

My best wishes to you for a successful TURP procedure. I hope it puts an end to your prostate problems once and for all.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi Stephen

Yes your right about trying the right blend, I guess the person who would know would be a natropath (sp). Our bodies differ so much you just have to go along with trial and error I guess and see what happens. I was glad to get rid of the gall bladder, wow, right out of the blue it hit me, I'm glad its gone, and i will be happy to see the prostate 'resized' as well. I don't know of to many men who 'don't' have an issue with it, its only a matter of time, but new surgical techniques are being developed so down the road I'm sure its going to be even better for those who have to have some kind of surgery. 

Thank you for the best wishes, I'm looking forward to a speedy recovery and no more meds. 

Best

Mike

• Posted

Sorry to come back late. may be you have already undergone TURP. Please my advice is try other alternatives that are being recommended by others before allowing your self to be cut with uncomfortable consequences. I am talking from experience. I had TURP and the symptoms did not go away which makes me suspect it could be improper diagnosis combined with Urologist's greedy for money. But all the same even if the symptoms had gone away after TURP, I share with you thet the side effects of TURP are not good and urologist underplay them so that they get the money and/or it is because they have not been through the procedure themselves.
  • Posted

In my case, the benefit of 240mg per day was almost immediate. Now, I also take 320mg of Saw Palmetto oil at a separate time.

My PSA is only 2.7, and BPH symptoms were nocturia and pain in the groin. The pain is gone and the nocturia greatly reduced to once or twice (if I've been drinking a few red wines later than I should) a night. All good from my perspective, and PAE if things ever worsen.

• Posted

Hi Stewart,

Thank you for your response.

Glad to hear you had positive results. You say you take 240mg per day and found 'almost immediate' relief.

I take it, then, that you have not tried any of the 'blends' to which I refer but take stinging nettle root extract and saw palmetto separately. Do you take a specific 'brand' of either? What do you recommend?

I am currently on Tamsulosin and Finasteride but am currently experiencing a lot of 'discomfort' in the form of a 'burning' sensation after I urinate which lasts for hours. Sometimes this feels like it is right at the base of my penis (deep between my legs) and other times the feeling extends the whole length of my penis and feels very 'raw' with a constant feeling of wanting to 'go'.

It is on my mind constantly and is really getting me down, hence looking around for some relief.

Again, thanks for your input.

Take care.

• Posted

That burning feeling is why I started taking Stinging Nettle Root Extract (SNRE) and then a few weeks later started taking Saw Palmetto Oil. No, I haven't tried any 'blends'. I will PM you the brands and where I bought them online in the USA. The reason is that they are half the price and better quality than health shops offer in Australia.

Yes, that feeling has largely gone thanks to the SNRE. If that was due to prostatitis, it knocked it on the head. I told my GP what I was going to take, and it was he who said that Saw Palmetto Oil assists the drugs you mention.  It seems that for now, I don't need to take anything else.

• Posted

How long did it take to begin to feel any benefits from the SNRE? I started it a few days ago. But so far, no help.

Thanks.

Dan

• Posted

Dan: It was within a few days. I take two capsules (as on the bottle) about 9:00 am each day. I will PM you the details of the brand and supplier in the US.
    • Posted

Hi 

what is it that you are taking 240MG of per day please.?

Or did I miss that post?

thanks

Jeremy

• Posted

Apologies for the delay. I am taking Stinging Nettle Root Extract . I take two capsules each of 250mg.  I can PM you more details if you like.  
    • Posted

Hi 

Yes please do I have heard good things about it

regards

• Posted

I would appreciate PM on details of sources for your herbs. I am in Australia. Thx

• Posted

I did give some of these natural remedies a try but my prostate issues did not abate at all. I think it can help if the prostate is not that big yet.
    • Posted

The average prostate is 30g, mine is 50g, almost double the size. Has to be re-sized.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.