Stomach cramps and bloating

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, lets get right into it. So I have been having some issues with bloating for quite a while now. I think this started in march and lasted around 2 weeks until it slowly got better again. I have gone to the doctors about it and was just told to take antacids, they did not do any additional tests. The bloating has caused trousers and underwear to be more uncomfortable than normally, and I have tried a few different kinds/brands/sizes to see if anything would be comfier at all but this has not really helped. I have kept track of my weight as well and have not gained close to any weight at all for quite a long time, and appear to be of a fairly healthy weight as far as I am aware (5’10, 72kg).

This bloating issue seems to return every 1/2 months and last for a couple of weeks, and now I have had similar issues for the last 2.5 weeks. It feels like the stomach is bloated for most of the day and comes with some stomach cramps and a soar belly button. Sometimes this comes with feeling sick as well, especially on morning walks. I have had some issues with gas as well (tons of burping) but this has died down a bit in the last few days. I have taken quite a few antacids now but it does not seem like this is helping much. I have also started taking peppermint oil capsules after doing some research online for about a week now but does not feel like this is changing much.

I am thinking if going back to the doctors and make it clear that “just taking antacids” has not helped and hope that this can be looked into further.. Does this sound familiar to others at all? Any clue what it could be or any possible remedies that could help?

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated 😃

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you had change of bowel habit and do the abdominal cramps move about? If so, ask your doctor about IBS and insist on tests being done. I had similar symptoms to you without the bloating I had bowel habit change, shifting, generalised abdominal pain, and nausea. I went to various doctors on eight occasions and had many negative tests and no help. In the end, I saw another doctor who asked about recent stress which I had forgotten about and diagnosed me with IBS on that basis. Tell your doctor that antacids don't work. Every bit of information you can tell your doctor can help in getting a diagnosis.

• Posted

Change of bowel habit, not really to be honest. Cramps move about yes, sometimes it feels like I have done some ab-workout and my muscles are sore whilst other times it is more around the belly button area, right now my ribs feel a bit sore so it definitely does seem to travel around a bit.

• Posted

If the pain gets even just a little bit worse after eating, this may suggest a particular food is the culprit. I would note down everything you eat and record any reaction you have however small. Gastritis is also another possibility which an endoscopy would show up.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice, I am thinking of going back to the docs next week and see if any tests / endoscopy could be done.

• Posted

hi, you could also ask for an endescopy to rule out gerd and digestive issues.

• Posted

You could have a food intolerance, keep a note of what you eat every day and see if some foods make it worse. Sugar and certain fruits can make bloating worse. Also coffee, fizzy drinks, alcohol, dairy, wheat, vegetables like broccoli, sprouts and beans can affect people. If you make a food diary, you can then take things out of your diet that you may think affect you and see if the bloating gets better.

Deflatine can help a bit, but if not, talk to your doctor about trying alverine, it is used for IBS and it may take a couple of hours but it helps shift all the wind and it usually makes me need to poo, which helps get rid of the bloating. Have you been offered ppi tablets?

Does the pain in the bellybutton travel to the lower right abdomen?

• Posted

The thing is, I have not really been eating any different from before. I do keep a bit of a food diary (myfitnesspal), but this does not really flare up after eating certain types of food, it feels like it is almost constantly there. IT does sometimes get a bit worse after eating but I do not think this is linked to any specific food as far as I have noticed so far.

I have not been offered any tablets yet, and the pain seems to travel around quite a bit in the whole stomach area to be honest.

• Posted

It sounds like you need a scope then and possibly a scan.

Have you had any blood tests? If not get a test for blood count, vitamin and mineral levels, liver and kidney.

• Posted

Thank you! Think I will go to the docs next week and request a blood test and a possible scan, see what they say 😃

• Posted

bloating can’t have many different causes .

go back to the doctor and in the meantime, stay away from acid causing things such as soda pop, red meats, cheese, along with most dairy products, junk food, caffeine. Eat alkaline producing foods such as fruits and vegetables, especially celery, broccoli, cauliflower, apples and raisins . stay hydrated and I found herbal non-caffeinated tea to be very soothing.

• Posted

Thank you! I do not eat / drink most of those things on a regular basis, only cheese that could perhaps be the issue. Maybe I should cut out cheese for a week and see if it has any effect at all.

• Posted

I meant to say that Bloating can have many different causes. Mine was from gastritis

• Posted

This all sounds very similar and familiar to me. Almost the exact symptoms. I had a scope two years ago, and also a colonoscopy. Conclusion was gastritis. Comes and goes, but the latest round has lasted about two months. They tested me fro H Pylorie last week and then we are going to go from there. Good luck. Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim, thank you for this. I thought it was dying down yesterday and had a pretty good day, then it got worse again at night time and been struggling today! Definitely need to go back to the docs and see if some tests can be done!! Best of luck to you as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.