Stomach issues

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am taking 10mg of predisone and I have been on this dose for almost 2 months. I have bad heart burn all the time and nothing helps. Does anyone else experience this and if so does anything help?

I'm at the point I want to stop taking the predisone because the stomach issues seem worse then the PMR issues.

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No stomach issue at 30 mg a day, 20 in morning after breakfast, 10 mg before bed after a little snack; other problems with Predinisone. Hope that helps you.
    • Posted

Thank you. I'm curious what your other problems were with the predisone. I just hate how I feel while taking it. The weight gain is bad, but I'm hoping now that my pain and stiffness are better that I can get that under control as well.

• Posted

Try cutting carbs - many of us have lost weight by doing that and others avoided weight gain in the first place.
    • Posted

Cb72360, problems with Predinisone, at this level 30 mg a day, I am ready to jump out of my skin, agitated, shaky, diabetic neuropathy going crazy just feel like hell. Felt like this last year till I got down to much lower levels. Then the Pred, did not bother me much at all. I will get back down. Keep smiling!
    • Posted

I have never had the shakes before.....and I'm driving my family away with my anxiety......down to 9mg, reducing at 1mg a month....I was thinking of reducing at 1/2 a mg every 15 days (half a month) , any thoughts?

• Posted

If you are suffering excessive anxiety then your GP could help there. Your proposed reduction is in line with most recommendations for approaching reducing pred - but that doesn't mean it will work for you and you will have a choice: stop when you get to the dose that still manages your symptoms or continue reducing and return to where you were with the PMR if it is still active. That is the constraint - the PMR, nothing else.

• Posted

Know the shake now and if I get the least bit anxious over anything the shakes the shakes get worse.

Hang in there I do believe the shakes will pass, I got by them last year.

• Posted

I've experienced bad heartburn, but I think mine was the PMR. It started before I was on Prednisone. It's what sent me to ER. They found nothing wrong with me, so I demanded a rheumatologist. I do still get it occasionally with a flare. I always keep ginger ale on hand and make sure to take my Prednizone with food. Talk to your Dr. Don't stop taking the Prednizone.

• Posted

Thank you. I do take the predisone with food. I go to see my dr next week, hopefully he has an answer.
    • Posted

Rayos is a coat Predinisone that might help. You will get more answers tomorrow. Hang in there!
    • Posted

I take ranitidine for my heartburn I suffered with this before pmr due to taking naproxen for a while , I take my pred with yogurt but if I miss my ranitidine the heartburn comes back , I would not stop the pred 
    • Posted

I take both omeprazole and ranitidine twice a day. I take my predisone with food. Nothing seems to help.
    • Posted

Hello cb.    I was getting strong heartburn for the first time when I started Pred. my kidney function was on the low side of normal (blood test for U&E's) I was changed to ranitidine which also worked but because I wanted to protect my kidneys and also I read that PPI's and H2 blockers should not be taken for too long, I then requested the enteric coated prednisolone. I no longer get heartburn or need stomach protection so although EC Pred is a little more expensive I am not 'spending' nhs money on stomach protection.

Have a word with your gp.   Is it usual to take Omeprazole and Ranitidine at the same time ?

I believe you should reduce PPI doses gradually if you come off but our wonderful Eileen and others will comment I expect

goodluck

• Posted

Enteric coated prednisolone is only available in the UK.
    • Posted

Thank you Claire. I have an appt with my dr this week to discuss options.
    • Posted

What am I missing, if Rayos is very expensive and EC capsules are available, why not just put the Pred in an EC capsule , for the dose you want? Help me understand, thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.