Stomach issues

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am taking 10mg of predisone and I have been on this dose for almost 2 months. I have bad heart burn all the time and nothing helps. Does anyone else experience this and if so does anything help?

I'm at the point I want to stop taking the predisone because the stomach issues seem worse then the PMR issues.

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Have you tried lansoprazole 30 mg that's the only thing that helped me. All the best. 

• Posted

Some time ago I remember a post suggesting squeezing one lemon, dividing it in 3 and taking the juice diluted with water x 3 a day. I know it may seem an odd suggestion but according to other posts it works. I'm not sure if it was for heartburn but it was for something similar. I suggest you wait until someone else comes along and confirms or otherwise.

• Posted

It would be worth trying taking the Pred. with plain yoghurt. 'm in UK and use an organic variety. I expect you have something similar.

Before I had PMR I had a bout of pains in stomach ( not abdomen ) Endoscopy showed nothing wrong but one of the nurses recommended the yoghurt. Good stomach liner, she said. 

Can't do any harm to try.

• Posted

You say prednisone - are you in the USA?

Don't get confused though people - Rayos/Lodotra is coated, but it remains in the stomach until it is released after 4 hours so isn't an alternative for people with gastric issues. In the UK enteric coated or gastroresistant prednisolone pills are available - and that does help with gastric problems as they pass all the way through the stomach and are broken down and absorbed in a lower part of the gut. They are only available in the UK though.

An alternative to pills is depot methylprednisolone injections which are suggested in the most recent international guidelines for the management of PMR. Injections avoid gastric issues altogether.

• Posted

Hello

this can be a real 'pain' - I know. For a decade or more before  PMR/GCA  I have had to take Lansoprazole anyway due to a refux problem and I need a 'double-dose' of 30mg twice a day. It is effectve 99% of the time (I have never had any side-effects from it) and has been so even on high (60mg) doses of Pred. BUT - I take the PPI capsule (Lansoprazole that is) half an hour before eating and half an hour before taking the steroid. Main thing is to eat a decent size bowl of thick greek yoghurt before you swallow your Pred and then a few more spoons after to 'sandwich' it into the yogurt. This works well for me and if I ever have any sense of irritation later in the day - which can occur occasionally if I have an empty stomach as I am trying not to also overeat - I just eat a few extra spoons of yoghurt and that seems to help. It would be a shame if you had to go off the Pred - so maybe you can try this approach first. There are also enteric coated tablets available in some countries too (not here in Australia tho).

Best wishes with it all

Rimmy

• Posted

Thank you. I will try anything st this point.
  • Posted

Silver is correct, over 8 years ago MrsO told me about lemon juice and we published it our Newsletter and in the 'Tips and Tricks' section of the booklet 'Living with PMR&GCA' all the tips and tricks were supplied by patients with both PMR & GCA.  Now not all of them work for everybody, some do, some don't... but them each of us are individuals.  But the 'lemon juice works for 90%'.

Take one organic lemon (if possible) place in microwave for 1 min  (this triples the juice extraction).  Then divide into three and take it with a little water after each meal.  Now it was explained to me exactly how the acid in the lemon jiuce counteracts the heartburn............

Give it a whirl.

Do not discard the lemon, grate the skin of the organic lemon and then either freeze it and add it to food.....just sprinkle it on.

You can also freeze whole lemons and when frozen grate the whole lot and then use in stews, sprinkle over salads, put in drinks.  You then get every bit of all the nutrients and waste nothing.

• Posted

Every morning without fail I have a tap temperature glass of water, followed by 6 different types of fruit, chopped up in a fruit salad (paw-paw, orange, grapes, Banana, apple, almonds and a 2 dessert spoons of Greek yoghurt) followed by 9mg of Pred.....never have a problem.
  • Posted

Order some enteric coated capsules to put the pred in, you'll have no more heartburn.

• Posted

That is a very interesting idea! Would that get the Predinisone through the stomach. We really want the Predinisone through the stomach and into the upper intestinats? Is that correct?? Can it be that simple??
    • Posted

If there is a gastric resistant outer the whole thing passes through the stomach and is then dissolved further down where the pH is alkaline rather than acid as in the stomach. It is absorbed better and more reliably in the stomach - but if that causes a problem, it isn't good.

• Posted

yes, buy some empty gel capsules ....you can get them from amazon or other place... break the pred tab in halves and put in capsules...that has helped me a lot.

• Posted

Like Eileen said, the pred bypasses the stomach and is dissolved in the intestines. The difference hasn't bothered me at all. 

• Posted

EileenH, I was thinking about delaying the delivery. I have been taking 20 mg after breakfast and 10 mg after a snack before bedtime. If I use enteric capsule would that do the job delaying the delivery of the Predinisone. I am looking to delay at bedtime. I will ask for a prescription of Rayos, but my Rheumatologist appears not to like ideas that are her's. If the capsules work I might just go that route!

Thanks for your help again. 🙂

• Posted

Hi stell-dl, I am taking Predinisone at bedtime after a snack, not because of stomach issue, but to control morning pain. I hoping that the delay would put me more in time with adrenal gland early morning release and less stiffness and pain when I get up. I new at this so any more info you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for caring!
    • Posted

Apparently there was some suggestion of a comparative study between Rayos/Lodotra and the enteric coated prednisolone pills that are available in the UK - and the pharmaceutical company wouldn't play. Which makes both the rheumy who told me that and myself suspicious that they know very well it would work! It won't work as reliably as the Rayos does - that has been developed specifically to fulfil a time line - and you will possibly have to experiment to find how early you need to take it. In some people enteric coated takes up to 7 or 8 hours to reach peak level in the blood, in others it is just 5. You need to identify the time for you that allows it to happen about 4-5am.

The morning adrenal release of cortisol is immaterial at the dose you are on at present - 30mg is going to suppress adrenal function whatever time you take it. It may become a factor once you are below 10mg though - but not necessarily.

• Posted

Thank you EileenH, so far the 20 mg after breakfast and 10 mg before bed is working. The problem had been first thing in morning,. This morning I feel almost normal. Very good day yesterday, two days in a row with over 6,000 steps on my Fitbit. So I am moving!

Thanks once again for sharing your knowledge.🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.