Stomach issues

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am taking 10mg of predisone and I have been on this dose for almost 2 months. I have bad heart burn all the time and nothing helps. Does anyone else experience this and if so does anything help?

I'm at the point I want to stop taking the predisone because the stomach issues seem worse then the PMR issues.

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh the heartburn and indigestion! Omg. I've been on Prednisone for over a year and at times it was unbearably painful. I've taken 20 mg of Omerprazole each morning before I eat, and some days it would help; other days I was in so much pain that I wondered if I was having a heart attack.  Eating too much in general or especially romaine lettuce would set mine off.  Coffee also made it worse.  I'm now down to 4 mg and the indigestion is much, much better.  Hang in there.  As you taper, the heartburn will gently subside.

• Posted

Thank you. The pain is sometimes very unbearable. I'm hoping it gets better...soon.

• Posted

Some days I think the Prednisone has created an ulcer.  I'm just very careful what I eat because so much can give me a stomachache now.  

• Posted

Hi,

from reading this forum I discovered I have silent acid reflux....caused from taking prednisone for my PMR.  One thing I do that has helped is to put my prednisone into gel pill capsules - these are not enteric coated. I get them from my pharmacist each time I renew my prednisone. 

• Posted

You've been taking Omeprazole (Prilosec) along with the Prednisone right?

I started at 40 mg of Prednisone for GCA and could never have survived without the Omeprazole.  I'm presently at 7mg of Pred. after 10 months and hope to be at 0 by December.  Not crazy about taking Omeprazole, but its a matter of necessity.  

Do not stop the Prednisone without checking with your MD.  There are very dangerous problems when you go off  or drop down too quickly.

• Posted

Omeprazole and Lansoprazole, one of the side effects for both is that they cause muscle aches and pains.  

Ranitidine (old name Zantac) does not have those particular side effects.

It can be hard for those with PMR to distinguish which is which and PMR patients have enough muscles aches and pains to contend with, without adding a possible (and I stress a 'possible'wink addition.  

• Posted

I take one omeprazole a day with the predisilone as the doctor said it would cause stomach problems .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.