Stomach issues from stress and anxiety

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm always having stomach problems everyday. Just wondering if being extremely stressed and anxious could be what is causing it.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Anxiety causes all kinds of health issues, bad stomach issues are on the long list. If it gets worse seeing a DR is the right choice, anxiety can get worse if you don't control it. Good luck   

• Posted

Thank you Joe. I've never had these problems till anxiety. I was trying to find natural ways to relieve aniexty to see if that helps my stomach problems.

• Posted

Hi Amy!

Stomach aches can root from a lot of things so it's best to get checked. But if the results come out fine, the it's more than likely from anxiety because anxiety can cause a lot of physical sensations that are bothersome. But hopefully it's nothing serious!

Best of luck to you!

Gwen

• Posted

Thank you Gwyneth. I know I need to be checked out but I was just trying to figure out if the anxiety had caused the problems
  • Posted

Yep anxiety effects your digestive system. One of the main effects of stress and anxiety. I'm diagnosed with IBS it all came from anxiety.

• Posted

Thank you toshia. Have you been able to get your anxiety under control. I never really had stomach problems till anxiety
    • Posted

You are welcome. And yea I went to my doc a few months ago and talking with her helped a lot and she put me on Celexa and Xanax as needed the meds help a lot too!
  • Posted

Yes it can be. Have you gotten a check up, that would be the first thing I would do. It can be IBS irritable bowel syndrome . It's a disorder not a disease. Stress can bring it on. I suffered from anxiety disorder, panic attacks, agouraphobia and IBS . Sometimes with my stomach I would have to lay down with a heating pad or hot water bottle. Also constipation or diarrhea . Bloat etc. Check it out with your Dr. Our colons have spasms to move stuff. But our guy is very sensitive and we can feel it!! Ouch!!

• Posted

Gut not guy !! Grrrrrr spell checker!
    • Posted

Most likely is ! But get checked. These days they have a lot of stuff for IBS . Even over the counter stuff Anxietyis the culprit that gets it going!!
  • Posted

Dear Amy,

I want to assure you that it for 99% is just a symptom of anxiety. Anyway, to be checked by GP is necessary. I want to tell you that my story began almost a year ago with the same issue - stomach problems, pain especially in the mornings. As the time went by I started to have problems with sleeping, eating and it was start of the pure hell. Therefore, please, get checked by your GP, try to relax and especially remember - there is no real problem with you, it is just in your head and it will pass! Sorry if my english is not perfect, I am not native english speaker.

• Posted

Thank you meofenx. I have anxiety and stress every day. The stomach problems make it worse. I gave been dealing with this for 11 years now on and off. This has been the worse for me
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

I think you've had great replies so far but confirming what everyone else is saying but is like 99% sure it's ibs that's causing your tummy problems if you do suffer with anxiety (still worth checking with gp though) but mine is definately linked with my anxiety but since I've been on escitalopram it has settled!!! The antidepressant is good for anxiety too! I'm not 100% but am getting there and much more like myself! If you haven't already go and have a chat with your GP! Take care, Sue

• Posted

Thank you Susan. I have been on an IBS mediation years ago but it didn't help me at all. Was told by my doctor then to try to do yoga to help the stress and anxiety which was causing the IBS

• Posted

Yes yoga is meant to be great, I'd like to but don't have any nimble bodied friends to go with lol!!! I'm 53 so have older friends with health issues so don't feel like going on my own ha ha!! Never mind, take care x

• Posted

Thank you Susan. I just try yoga at home. It seems to help me some and recently started doing deep breathing exercises. They seem to be helping so far. I have to many kids to go to a yoga class.
    • Posted

Yes might get a dvd and do it at home, never thought of that! smile

• Posted

Great. 😀 You can also find videos for yoga on YouTube and some apps on your phone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.