Stomach pains

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with b12 deff in Nov, had the 6 booster injections, and did feel better for it, due my next one march. But the last 4 weeks have developed pains in my upper tummy area, now I do suffer with IBS but only when I get stressed, which I'm not, can anyone put my mind at rest and tell me if these pains are normal after you have b12 injections s ??

Thanks

Patricia

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I suffered quite a lot with abdominal pains, and there can be issues of the pains increasing when treatment begins, as it’s part of the healing process. Do you have other symptoms too that appear to be worse? It maybe that you need more frequent injections than going straight onto three monthly after your loading doses? 

There is a sublingual spray available that I used to top up my levels between injections. It is available to buy online or at health food shops, and is made by Better You. 

I would suggest that you see your GP again before you do anything else to treat it yourself, just to rule out that there is something else going on. 

Most B12 deficiency is due to a problem of absorption in the gut, and stomach pains were a major symptom for me. Thankfully, three years on from diagnosis, my digestion is almost back to normal.

Best wishes

Marion 

• Posted

Thanks Marion, I've had reflux for twenty years now, taking omeprazole daily, so I know the cause is absorption, I have to say it was when I was put on the folic acid, that I started

feeling sick all day and the bloating pains started, so think its that not the b12, however I've got sublingual 500. mcg combined with folic acid 100mcg ,hope fully the lower dose will be OK,

rang Dr today and brought my next injection forward by ,3 weeks,hopefully this is all gonna work.

Thanks for your reply.

Patricia.

• Posted

Have you been tested for Intrnsic Factor? I have PA with Intrinsic Factor Antibody. This destroys the stomach lining. It is frequently misdiagnosed as Gerd or acid issue when it is actually low stomach acid. Taking the prescribed acid reducers omeprazole, Previcid, etc, caused a big ulcer. I now add acid by adding pickle juice to my water each day.  This has really help with digestion and the ulcer is almost gone.  I had to print low avid information and take it to my doctor. 

Seems that meant doctors know very little about PA, IF, Low stomach acid, and fibromyalgia. I have several doctors that are very open to researching this info and are not insulted when I bring in information from the Pernicious Anemia Society.  The PA group is on Facebook. 

• Posted

Thanks Dena, I've had the test for pareitel cells and was told it was normal, I always ask for copy's of my test results, as when first tested for b12 deficiency, was told it was OK, it turned up a mo nth later when I went back to drs, feeling worse, lets check your b12 she said, looked again at the result, and it was 169,of dear !!!!your a bit low,I think you need injections, must admit after course of 6 injections I felt a lot better,but my fingers and feet still tingle.

But it was only when they gave me folic 5mg did I start with stomach pains,have put it down to my IBS

But normally buscopan or mebeverine sort it, but not this time, have purchased sublingual b12 and folic conjoined , in a much lower dose,but after 2 days the pains kicked in again.I have just been given the all clear on lung cancer, but these tummy pains worry me, as the cancer clinic always asked me any tummy pains ????

Sorry this is such a long reply, but its nice to talk to someone with b12 knowledge, I'm also 70 by the way so age factor too.

Best wishes Patricia.

• Posted

It is not uncommon for some symptoms to appear to get worse before they get better as the B12 starts repairing the damage done to your nervous system and your brain starts getting multiple messages from part of the body it had "forgotten about" or lost contact with.

I sometimes liken it to a badly tuned radio on which you have turned the volume up high trying to catch the programme you want when all of a sudden the signal comes in loud and clear and the blast nearly deafens you.

A lot will depend on the severity and longevity of your B12 deficiency as to how long before there is no further improvement or recovery. Some symptoms will "disappear" quite quickly whereas others may take months or even years. There is no set timescale as we are all different.

You don't say what strength folic acid you were prescribed that caused the tummy problems.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had P.A. (a form of B12 deficiency) for more than 45 years.

I wish you well  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.