Stomach Problems and Steroids

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all.

I think I have read somewhere that taking regular steroids can give stomach problems as a possible side effect.

Can any of you ladies who have had stomach problems as a side effect tell me what to expect?

Not blaming the steroids particularly, but I have been feeling a little bit 'stomachy' in recent weeks, so just curious.. :huh:

Gilly.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't really experience bowel problems while I'm taking Prednisilone, but I do, about a week after I stop.  I sometimes take 25mg a day for a five day course, and a few days after I cease, I get sudden stomach pain and diarrea.  Usually lasts a couple of hours and then I'm fine.  But it's very inconvenient.  It's preceded by extreme fatigue, headaches and poor concentration.  I've mentioned it to my doctor, but he says it can't be the cortisone.  I asked if I should wean off but he said there is no need to do that any more.  So, basically, my doctor doesn't believe it's related to the medication and yet it's very coincidental. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.