Stomach Problems and Steroids

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all.

I think I have read somewhere that taking regular steroids can give stomach problems as a possible side effect.

Can any of you ladies who have had stomach problems as a side effect tell me what to expect?

Not blaming the steroids particularly, but I have been feeling a little bit 'stomachy' in recent weeks, so just curious.. :huh:

Gilly.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

[color=darkred:46d167896f]Hi Gillybee.[/color:46d167896f] I've never had a problem with PPI's but decided a couple of months ago to try to ditch some of my armoury of medicines! I stopped taking Omeprazole and took the advice of lots of people on this site regarding eating a yogurt before taking the Pred. Works a treat. Couldn't lay my hands on a yogurt at the Hospital one day last week and by mid morning it felt as though a little rodent was nibbling at my insides :dragon: (couldn't find a rodent!!). Then I stopped taking the Alendronic Acid - bliss! I'm sticking with 3mgs just now and I haven't had any stomach problems apart from the yogurtless day. Hope everyone is enjoying the lovely weather.

Love from [color=darkred:46d167896f]Lizzie Ellen [/color:46d167896f]xx

• Posted

Have been using Manuka Honey 10+ for some years now and usually put a large spoonful in my porridge...... because of my OLP have not been able to do lemon and warm water first thing in the morning but now that I am on a high dose of steroids and my OLP is under control I could contemplate trying this alongside the honey and bio yogurt!
  • Posted

Hi fiftiesgirl

I do hope you wont have any side effects from the uncoated 5mg tablets you have just been prescribed. I was always given the coated 5mg tablets and, being unable to take the stomach protectors, I would have protested if they had prescribed the uncoated ones anyway! :wink:

• Posted

Hi im new here diagnosed with pmr few months ago,gosh im having terrible tummy problems,been sick had the runs and cramp in tummy.It started last week i have been eating a light diet but not helping much,olso i cant sleep still awake 5 am.

Pred has helped the pain but i dont know how i can cope with the side affect,feel so

rotten.I take omeprasole for tummy 40 mg a day,have tried taking one in morning and one at night not been much help.

I am going to go see my Dr in hope he can help.I hope things settle down for you,

Thinking of you.

• Posted

Gwyn, are you taking enteric coated Prednisolone?  If so, you may not need the Omeprazole unless you already had gastric problems before diagnosis.  I was prescribed Omeprazole alongside the steroids and had horrendous stomach problems almost immediately.  As soon as I stopped taking it, my tummy returned to normal.  I was tried on another PPI (Lansoprazole) but that also caused problems and was also stopped within a few days.  To protect my stomach from any possible steroid side effects, I decided to eat a 'live' (probiotic) yoghurt with my breakfast each morning, before taking the steroids.  It obviously acted as a good stomach liner because I never had any more problems throughout my years on steroids.

Most of us find sleep difficult but once you are down to the lower steroid doses you should find sleep easier.  Meanwhile, ensure that you take the steroids early in the morning, and try and have catnaps during the day.

I do hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

The most likely cause of the stomach problems is the omeprazole. Other PPIs can also cause similar problems so if you definitely need "stomach protection" as they call it ask your doctor for ranitidine (Zantac) which is a completely different drug and many gastroenterologists wonder why PPIs are so popular with GPs!

I have never taken a PPI and have had no problems. Like MrsO I used yoghurt when I was on ordinary pred and the rest of the time I have had an enteric coated version - not broken down in the stomach so less need for antacid medication.

Is it the diarrhoea or the pred that's keeping you awake? If it is the pred that will improve as the dose falls. In the meantime just try to rest when you can. Lots of people get up and read or do computer things and settle down for a sleep any time it fits.

• Posted

Hi Gwyn57, just wondering how you and your tummy problems are 1 year down the track ? After about 1 year on prednisone  I have now developed really unpleasant digestive problems I have severe reflux,stomach/intestinal cramping and runs and endless burping,  Like Mrs O I am worse on PPi's. I have yoghurt daily. I cannot have honeybecause of (lichen planus another auto immune disease). I have cut out so many foods trying to find the culprit. I do not know if my pred is coated or not - must find out. Have you found a solution to your gastric problems ?
    • Posted

Don't be disappointed if you don't get a reply. Although all this thread says is "over a year ago" it must be more like nearly 4 years or more ago judging by the names who contributed to the discussion and me talking about mixing enteric coated and ordinary pred tablets, I haven't taken them for 5 years!
    • Posted

Hi Flutterbie

i too have acid reflux so it sounds like it's not as bad as yours. There have been quite a few posts offering ideas about this. If you look back on the topics there is one on silent acid reflux with lots of posts in the link within that topic and one today I think called stomach problems.....not sure how to look at topics and also not lose what I have written!

i finally had improvement when I started putting my plain white Pred into gel capsules (my pharmacy sells them) and I've recently been experimenting with making green juice. I've read others are putting their Pred into enteric coated gel capsules and I plan to start that next - have to get some family visits completed before I try something new with my Pred. 

• Posted

Thanks Eileen and MrsCJ. I will try some capsules and look further on the site.
  • Posted

Hi I have been taking Steroids (Predlestone) for over two years, am now on 2 or three mg per day have been taking Zantac  before taking them, and up till now all OK but now I have indigeston and a queasy stomach, this morning I had yogurt instead of Zantac but still have the same symtoms. Any ideas....  Yvonne
    • Posted

Has your supplier changed? Sometimes the fillers in the tablets are different - they can be implicated in upset stomachs too. And I'd combine all available options if I had problems, not one or the other.
    • Posted

Yes - all tablets are made up of the active substance plus a load of other things to be able to form a tablet including colourings and stabilisers. Each company uses something a bit different and that can make quite a bit of difference to some people. 

So if you have a tablet from a particular company that you find works well with few side effects but another isn't so good then it is worth trying to get your pharmacy to get the one that suits you. You have to get your doctor to write that on the prescription though - the name of the brand if that applies and that only this version should be dispensed. Sometimes if it is a generic you have to shop around to find a pharmacy that will get the one you need.

• Posted

Thanks Eileen. The generic version of Losec did not work for me in the past, so I did check about them, but it never occurred to me that Prednisone could come from different places as well. I will discuss it with the Dr and Chemist. I have been through a horrible few months with entire digestive system, which has improved at the moment. No obvious reasons have been found as yet for the problems which did begin suddenly. I want to be prepared in case they ever return.
    • Posted

Losec is a common cause of gastric problems all the way through - and it doesn't always start immediately. The same applies to other drugs with the potential - side effects can appear later on. It's one of the things keeping a diary can be helpful for - changes of medications/doses and changes in symptoms in a diary may show up a relationship.

What other medications are you on?

• Posted

I have got a bit lax with my diary over the last few months - big mistake ! I am taking Loxamine, Prednisone and Ranitidine (another ppi). I was taking a few other things like vit b, magnesium, vit d, but stopped all for a few weeks, including wine. I have reintroduced red this week and think it has passed the test. a good start.
    • Posted

Ranitidine isn't a PPI, it's an H2 histamine receptor antagonist - it is a different mechanism although it produces the same effect as a PPI and has different, generally fewer side effects. That's just me being picky...

So did you recently change from omeprazole to ranitidine?

• Posted

I knew thatredface​ - I was going to say i suffer from pred brain as well, but you have an excellent memory, so maybe I shouldn't blame my vagueness on pred.biggrin  I had a second ppi inbetween, which upset me badly within half hour of taking it. I took it 6 times and had an immediate bad  reaction every time. I have been on Ranitidine for a few weeks. I got no relief for the first 2 weeks. I now have relief from an unexpected source (a French Osteo). I just couldn't understand why omeprazole had worked well for me for a long time, then major problems flared up.
    • Posted

I did have horrible concentration and memory problems at the start of PMR and pred made it worse for a while. It has improved dramatically since being on Lodotra - whether it is just the prednisone rather than prednosolone or methylprednisolone or whether Lodotra really is associated with far fewer side effects I have no idea! It is good to be back to "normal" - or what passes as normal for me...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.