Stomach problems for 3 months without any known cause (and getting desperate)

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, it's been 3 months since I have these symptoms: abdominal pain, nausea, reflux (so strong at first I couldn't lay dawn), fatigue (sleeping up to 15 hours at the worst), dizziness, gas and inflammation, and loose stools or diarrhea (up to 4 times a day). It stopped in August and now it doesn't happen everyday but sometimes. I have been consulting a doctor and all the tests look normal, ultrasound, blood tests, allergies, and it doesn't seem that my colon is been attacked by anything. He said that the next step was to eliminate some groups of foods, so I stopped eating gluten. As I say, I am better now, but is not completely gone, so I'm not sure gluten has anything to do with it or is only a coincidence (and I'm sure it's not milk or fructose, I couldn't find any pattern there). I had been taking esomeprazol, a procinetic and other pills for the nausea, but I stopped 2 weeks ago to better see my progress. When the symptoms appear, I feel so bad I can't concentrate on anything and it's impossible to keep with daily life... I need to find the cause, any help is appreciated.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had nausea and vomiting for almost three years and have not found a solution. However exercise and going to gym may help.

• Posted

I have had nausea and vomiting for almost three years and have not found a solution. However exercise and going to gym may help.

• Posted

Thanks, I started going to the pool for the that very reason, it does help. Hope you find an answer to your problem.

• Posted

Has IBS been mentioned? It doesn't show on scans and can come and go in flare ups due to anxiety or food. I had similar symptoms to you for three and a half months with no answers. Eventually it was diagnosed as IBS. I had negative tests and no pattern showed up with what I was eating. My trigger was stress. Ask about IBS.

• Posted

Thank you. I thought of it because when the symptoms first appeared I was finishing the most stressful year of study I had in my entire life, it was absolutely crazy. But after that I was on vacation, doing nothing, and the symptoms were there still, and too severe to think it was IBS... But I will ask the doctor about it. So, your condition was as bad?

• Posted

IBS can be very severe and will continue like that while your stress continues. My symptoms were bad for such a long time because no one could help me and I had severe health anxiety as a result right up until the day I was diagnosed. Despair and taken hold and I fully believed the worst. Once my symptoms were identified, I got immediate relief.

• Posted

Thanks a lot. I will keep this possibility in mind, I have friends with that problem but never heard it could be like this, thanks for the info. I'm glad you are better now.

• Posted

IBS can be very different for everyone. At the moment it's nothing short of miraculous that I haven't had a flare up on holiday because of the way my neighbour is constantly bossing me and not letting me relax for a minute. She clearly has a lot of complexes of her own and off loads them on me. My dad has had to tell her twice not to harass me but she still carries on disturbing my peace. Two years ago I had a severe flare up because of her. Another woman on the beach complained about me slouching and tried to push my shoulders back and has pulled a muscle out of place.

• Posted

It does sound like IBS, especially since your tests came back ok. Stress can build up and all of a sudden produce an IBS flare out of no where. I think you are on the right track to healing but it will take time. If you need the medicine, take it, and continue with good eating and exercise. Hopefully, it will calm itself down soon.

• Posted

Thanks, Maria, I will ask my doctors about IBS, let's see if my case fits.

• Posted

Hello!

There is no medical test as you probably know for IBS. I was diagnosed after other possible causes were eliminated.

My symptoms were / are similar to yours. I think those of us with IBS become hyper-aware of our symptoms when we have an onset - how could we not? As a result, we actually feel worse, and yes, it's difficult to concentrate on anything other than how we feel.

I am curious why your doctor did not mention IBS (or maybe he did). Your symptoms sure sound like it! Once I was diagnosed, I actually felt relieved. What has helped me: talking with other sufferers, meditating, walking, and watching what I eat. I am still working on the food thing after a year - it's still puzzling to me.

Be kind to yourself, and please keep us posted!

Peace,

Wildflower

• Posted

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, Wildflower. I have an appointment now in September with my doctor and I'll mention this. I found out that in severe cases of gluten intolerance it takes from 3 to 6 months to be fine, so I'm sticking now with a gluten free diet. But it helps a lot to know there are cases of IBS with symptoms like mine, as I said, I know a few people suffering from it but they are not as bad and our symptoms didn't really match, I guess there are different ranges. I'll write what my doctor says about it all soon, thanks again.

• Posted

Hello again. I had the last 2 tests, for bacterial growth and fructose intolerance, both came negative. I had been with a gluten-free diet; I know it takes some time to be completely healthy, but it seems the problem is not the gluten at all, when I eat things that are unhealthy I get diarrhea or any other symptom. Apparently that includes anything with sweetener, sugar, additives and so on (and most of the things we buy in the supermarket have them). Still, my overall state has improved. I really think it is IBS now. I will continue the gluten-free and healthy diet, but choices are difficult. For a start, I bought my own bakery machine to make my bread at home.

It will really help to know samples of diets from people with IBS, how you cope with it, natural remedies... Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.