Stomach problems for 3 months without any known cause (and getting desperate)

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, it's been 3 months since I have these symptoms: abdominal pain, nausea, reflux (so strong at first I couldn't lay dawn), fatigue (sleeping up to 15 hours at the worst), dizziness, gas and inflammation, and loose stools or diarrhea (up to 4 times a day). It stopped in August and now it doesn't happen everyday but sometimes. I have been consulting a doctor and all the tests look normal, ultrasound, blood tests, allergies, and it doesn't seem that my colon is been attacked by anything. He said that the next step was to eliminate some groups of foods, so I stopped eating gluten. As I say, I am better now, but is not completely gone, so I'm not sure gluten has anything to do with it or is only a coincidence (and I'm sure it's not milk or fructose, I couldn't find any pattern there). I had been taking esomeprazol, a procinetic and other pills for the nausea, but I stopped 2 weeks ago to better see my progress. When the symptoms appear, I feel so bad I can't concentrate on anything and it's impossible to keep with daily life... I need to find the cause, any help is appreciated.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you looked into probiotics and prebiotics? I have some friends with similar issues that have found relief after starting some of those kinds of supplements.

• Posted

Thanks for the suggestion, I was already taking probiotic pills when the problem started, last year was hard because of the studies and I took them as a prevention, but they didn't change anything, so I stopped taking them eventually... I may try the prebiotics, though.

• Posted

A stool test is the best way to find out what’s going on in the gut. It’s usually a type of pathogen that creates the symptoms. You could always start with a high-quality digestive enzyme to make sure that all of your food is been properly digested and that will address the reflux to start. Hope you feel better.

• Posted

Hello and thanks for your interest, CicelyE. I've had a stool test done the first thing, but it didn't revealed anything out of the ordinary.

• Posted

From what I've, reflux or an ulcer can cause nausea. Has the doctor prescribed anything for that?

• Posted

Thanks for your interest, Maria. Yes, it's indeed due to the reflux, I am actually taking omeprazol for that.

• Posted

Hello, everyone. It's been a while, thanks to your replies. I went to the doctor last week. I had been following a gluten-free diet for a while now, and so far nothing changed. The doctor came to the conclusion that I suffer from IBS. I am taking pills for the symptoms and will have a revision in 2 months, but it seems I will have to learn to live with it. Thanks to the info everyone gave me here I was ready to hear that, so, again, thank you.

Any advice for my diet is welcome. I plan to keep my healthy diet, mostly gluten-free (it's not so important now, but wheat is not the best thing to digest). And I am learning how to make my own bread. The stress level is going to be a problem, but well, I'll do my best...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.