Stomach problems for 9 months

Posted , 8 users are following.

Apologies in advance for the long post but I am at my wits end..

All started 9 months ago with pain in my back around the kidney area radiating to the abdoman, thought I had a urine infection so drank plenty of Cranberry juice for 2 weeks to no avial.  Went to GP who ran bloods all clear and then referred for an Endoscopy at the beginning of December by this time the pain was central abdoman, Sternam area felt like pressure/burning/gnawing.  Diagnosed with mild gastritis and put on Omperasole.  Things then deteriated rapidly with pain radiating throughout my abdoman, tearing/stabbing/twisting, ended up in A&E 3 times over christmas and told had IBS..Different Doctors changed meds numerous times to the point that when I went back to see my GI Doc in January I had a carry bag full!!!  PPI's/antidepresents/laxitives/Buscapan etc...Had more blood work/ultrasound/colonoscopy/stool test/CT scan throat to pelvis/pelvic ultrasound all clear. I kept saying to the doctors that I was sure that the PPI/s were making my symtoms worse but they kept increasing the dose or changing from one to another, the last one being Emperasole for which I only took for 3 days as I started to get a lot or waterbrush/burning mouth/tongue and hot air feeling coming up my throat.  Mentioned this to GI when went back for reveiw and asked if it could be silent acid reflux and was told no and was adised to see a dieticien.  Well symtoms continued so went to see a private GI who also told me I didn't have acid reflux and that I had a functional disorder!!!! not sure how he came to this conclusion as he didn't examine me or run any tests only went on tests already carried out..  I keep going back to my GP who now says that I am suffering from Anxiety and has prescribed numerous antidepresents that really dont agree with me the final one being Dieazapan for which I have taken for the last 2 days and feel awful so will not be taking again.  My symtoms now are tightening around abdoman just below ribs, burning back and this awful burning air coming up into my throat and mouth and sometimes acompanied by a bitter taste. Has anyone any idea as I do not know where to go for help next as I feel no one is taking me seriously and just wants to pass me off with meds all the time.  I must just mention I have been treated for Helicobactor albeit it did not show up in the biopsy and recently had a breath test that is negative. I did not have any of the reflux issues until I was prescribed PPI's, is it possible that these meds supressed my stomach acid to the point that i am now not producing enough. Any advise would be much appreciated, I actually think Im going mad!!!!! Once again sorry for the long post but tried to keep as brief as poss. Thank you

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If all tests are proving negative, IBS can be diagnosed.  I would come off PPI medication and anything else that you have been prescribed if it is disagreeing with you.  Try the Fodmap.
  • Posted

Ruby, this sounds so much of what I went through for over a year!  Severe stomach pains all over my stomach, extreme belching.....incorrectly diagnosed with IBS,etc....took all their meds and special foods, etc.  Even after having 2 scans within 6 weeks with no results found to be causing the problem, went to another hospital, had same scan, found the SMA from my aorta in my stomach was the issue.  You should have 3 blood vessels coming from your aorta in your stomach...one of mine was totally missing, (the largest one) and the middle one was totally blocked!  Was not getting blood to my intestines, etc.  Had stent put in the one that was blocked...felt better for a few days..then pain back!  After much tests, doctors, etc.  the cardiologist placed a stent into a blood vessel in my heart that was 95% blocked....this particular vessel was the primary one that supplied blood to my stomach aorta.  Great!  finally NO MORE PAIN in stomach!  Not saying this is your problem, but because I was run through the mill as you were, without any help, this was finally solved my pain.  And, I was telling the doctors I thought that was the problem all along after finding the blockage in the SMA vessels and one missing, but no one would listen.  It would not hurt to mention this to your doctor and ask to specifically scan for this only.  Praying you get some relief....keep posting on your results.
    • Posted

Oh wow, unlucky dramtic story with a happy ending. 

It is just amazing what can be found and done and how non-direct-gastric related the issue can be. Unfortunately 'abdominal pain' is such a general symptom. 

May I kindly ask which same scan found the stomach blood supply issue? CT or MRI? Where they particularly looking at blood supply?

Also this SMA can squeeze the doudenum, but is visible in scan.

• Posted

Sanya, CT scan....no, not looking for blood supply issues...actually, our local hospital and done 2 CT scans and did not find anything.  I went to Scott White Clinic in Temple, Texas and they did another CT scan and found the SMA issues.  I was still in so much pain and 3 doctors could not find out what was wrong and wanted to do open exploratory surgery!  All of this was news to me..never heard of it.But, I wanted to let anyone know that this certainly can be an issue.
    • Posted

Thank you! 3 times CT scan is quite some radiation, but so good the reason was found in the end! Congrats to the docs at that clinic!
    • Posted

Absolutely! Life was awful during all that and started having huge kidney stones...3 different times within 6 months...all had to be surgically removed!  Somehow, I think all of this was related to blood issue because nothing else ever revealed!  Now, I have to have surgery for ascending thoracic aneurysm....body falling apart!  LOL
    • Posted

eekcheesygrinYou are like I, always a bit of humour left. Thumbs up!

(We astonish even our doc at times with some humour in the middle of the darkest szenarios, but one has to make the best out of it,

my saying is: to be scared to death is already half dead, hence makes no sense.)

All the best!!!

• Posted

Ruby Try half teaspoon Baking Soda, squeeze a fresh lemon juice in water. Twice a day. Do your research on lemons & Baking Soda . I swear by it . Also lost a little weight

A combination of lemon juice and baking soda is known to be an instant remedy for killing the bacteria and regulating the pH balance of the stomach juices as well. The solution starts foaming. Take it immediately to relieve the stomach , restore the pH balance in your body and kill all the bacteria that is causing the distress. Throw those meds away

• Posted

I have baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in cupboard, are any of them the same?
    • Posted

Baking soda = sodium bicarbonate = base - levelling out acid of stomach. (Baking powder has baking soda AND other things in it; cornstarch, acidic thing like cream of tartar.

If you use baking powder, it won't help as much as the base of bicarbonate is used up for the added acid in baking powder.)

• Posted

Thank you Harold,

​Have heard of this before but been apprehensive of trying due to the science not adding up - acid -acid. but will definatley being giving this a try now heard from someone who has had success.

• Posted

I was actually wondering,

why there is acid (lemon juice) added to baking soda (base),

why not baking soda on its own since one wants the base in stomach, not the acid. Some of the baking soda is used up for the lemon acid, neutralisis it.

Ok

found something else:

baking soda alone will relief the acid symptom, but not long term.  

"If you suffer from acid reflux or weak digestion, I suggest you use less sodium bicarbonate and drink your ACV (apple cider vinegar) or lemon juice as acidic as possible.

On the acid reflux ailment page, I explain how acid reflux or heartburn is caused by insufficient stomach acidity. To heal the reflux, you need to increase your stomach's acidity. Baking soda is alkaline, so it is the opposite to what you need. Yes, baking soda will provide temporary relief, but it will not heal the heartburn in the long term." 

There is a bit of 'amount' limit per day to consider too according to David Niven Miller. (search internet, will find his page, I cannot put in the quote webpage link since the post will be deleted? But I quoted the author, so should be ok and is amount is way under copyright limit)

??

I have no experience with that.

He was very clear though to use baking soda, not baking powder! ;-)

• Posted

Increasing the amount of acid in food or drinks actually makes my heartburn worse so I have to reduce my acid intake.  Antacids work best for me.
    • Posted

Yes, I can believe that.

I am so startled by the 'lemon' or 'vinegar' acid thingy with baking soda.

Yet, I have no reflux problems (unless I really do eat stupidly) and cannot trial myself with baking soda, baking soda + acid mix, how much per mix, how often to take.

To take only lemon juice or vinegar for reflux....I don't quite get it since I probably think chemically and instant symptom relief.

I think everybody has to trial and error for themselves. 

We can give suggestions and other people's experiences in order to help them with ideas, but if it was useful....

So when you would drink a glass of water with freshly pressed lemon juice (and or not with half a spoon baking soda), you would have instantly more pain, right? (Just asking out of interest, like to listen)

• Posted

I have never tried this because of the acid.  The most I would do would be to put a slice of lemon in plain water.  If I were to use baking soda I would have to have it separately. However, baking soda Is gassy.  Antacids or milk are the only thing that works without side effects.
    • Posted

thank you!

Need to find a guinea pig, who dares to drink lemon juice water on a daily basis having reflux (like Mr David Niven Miller suggests)..... I think I would not dare either. yet others swear by it.

• Posted

I'm your Guinea pig I'm trying the baking soda, lemon and sparkling water, just second day in, so far so good.

• Posted

hahaha, I love this forum! cheesygrin  Where is the 'thumbs up' button! (Can give it a vote)

(Don't forget please to write down how much of each (half a lemon, teaspoon lemon or pure, or with quarter or half teaspoon baking soda, when taken, how often per day for how long till which effect....good luck!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.