Stomach Protection

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have not been on the forum for a while.  I was diagnosed with GCA in March 2016 and managed to get down to 3mg Prednisolone by September 2017 - a nightmare of side effects throughout from Prednisolone, Omeprazole and Ranitidine.  Unfortunately I've had a flare and was put back to 20mg Prednisolone 4 weeks ago.  A lot of the awful side effects from Prednisolone have returned.  I cannot take PPIs like Omeprazole - horrendous side effects - so I wonder if anyone has managed stomach protection with diet and if so how did you do it?  I'd be very grateful for any advice. Also, I have been told to take osteoporosis medication but after reading about its side effects I am too scared to take it after all the horrendous experiences I've had with Prednisolone and Omeprazole.

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Fandango

When i was taking prednisolone i took probiotics and prebiotics for gut protection. I never had any problems with my stomach when taking these whilst taking preds....read up on pro and prebiotics...my best wishes to you Fandango

• Posted

Fandango, before I took any osteoporosis medication I request a bone density scan and the results would determine if I took any more medication. Good luck on your journey, try to think positive and smile. Smiling! 🙂

• Posted

Hiya!

Ask for a Dexa scan to determine your bone density. Mine was ok for my age, However I take Adcal D3 calcium. But as for Alondonic Acid that my GP tried to give me I refused point blank, as my dentist had seen a few people that had been effected by necrosis. I had googled the side effects too and decided the calcium supplement and a good diet should be enough to ward off oestroperosis.

hope that helps 

Andrea xx

• Posted

Hi,

I have found that  fat free Greek yoghurt is a great help in lining and soothing the stomach when on Pred. I take it before breakfast and also at lunchtime. Indigestion is a big problem for me and this definately helps. Also Gaviscon Advance is very good.

Another thing I take is Manuka Honey 10 to help the immune system. Cutting down on caffeinated tea and coffee might be a good idea too.

• Posted

Barbara,

Thanks for the info.  I have started the Greek yoghurt.

• Posted

I take a ramekin of natural probiotic yoghurt before taking the pred which lines the stomach and I have never had to take Omeprazole.  Look up an anti inflammatory diet which will help too and eat low carbs and sugar.   Hope things improve for you soon.
  • Posted

I had to take PPIs at the beginning of PMR treatment ( and antibiotics too) and just about destroyed my stomach. I stopped after 6 weeks and from then on I always take plain yogurt, about 75-100gr with pred. Best to take pred with meal, never on empty stomach.
    • Posted

Thanks  for advice.  I was on Omeprazole for just  over 3 months and also felt it had destroyed my stomach.  Took months for stomach to feel a bit better.
  • Posted

I can't take PPIs, either. 

Years ago I had an endoscopy after finding PPIs made things even worse.

One of the nurses recommended plain organic yoghurt as a soother ( If you're in UK Yeo Valley is good ).  I still have it with my breakfast and always took my Pred. with a couple of tablespoons. Worked for me. Hope it might for you.

• Posted

BettyE isn't an endoscopy fun, I was getting one every year when I was working, now one every three years along with a colonoscopy. Last year I asked the doctor if he could do both at the same time? He replied he was not ambidextrous! Good guy always makes the procedures less stressful.

Thinking positive and smiling. 🙂

• Posted

This is a bit off piste but has made a lot of folks laugh.

Family friend who was a chiropodist had to  have a colonoscopy and kind nurse,  to put him at ease, asked what he did. "I'm a chiropodist," he replied. Urgh... feet, she said.

He said he thought he'd rather stick to feet than have her job!

• Posted

Thanks, yoghurt seems to be the thing to take.
    • Posted

And I forgot to say - fat-free is NOT the best. You need some fat to obtain the most calcium from the dairy product. Skimmed milk is nowhere near as good a source of calcium as semi-skimmed for example even though the maths means it appears to have more calcium in it (only because the fat doesn't count in the total reading).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.