Stomach Protection

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have not been on the forum for a while.  I was diagnosed with GCA in March 2016 and managed to get down to 3mg Prednisolone by September 2017 - a nightmare of side effects throughout from Prednisolone, Omeprazole and Ranitidine.  Unfortunately I've had a flare and was put back to 20mg Prednisolone 4 weeks ago.  A lot of the awful side effects from Prednisolone have returned.  I cannot take PPIs like Omeprazole - horrendous side effects - so I wonder if anyone has managed stomach protection with diet and if so how did you do it?  I'd be very grateful for any advice. Also, I have been told to take osteoporosis medication but after reading about its side effects I am too scared to take it after all the horrendous experiences I've had with Prednisolone and Omeprazole.

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Fandango,

sorry you’re having a time of it. I had incredibly bad heartburn with the pred, it would wake me up during the night with such bad chest pain that my rheum sent me to a cardiologist. I tried the yoghurt and eating before taking it, but nothing worked. So I ordered enteric coated capsules from eBay and just put the pills in them. I haven’t been bothered since. 

Hope you find some relief.

• Posted

If omeprazole and ranitidine are no-nos - do you actually have any gastric problems on pred? I have never taken either - and never really had a problem with pred, Taking your tablets in the middle of meal is advised by pharmacists - half the meal, take the tablets, eat the rest. Many of us have had adequate protection just with yoghurt. And not taking alendronic acid probably helps - it too upsets your stomach very easily.

Since you say prednisolone I assume you are in the UK so enteric coated pred is an alternative. The tablets are coated so they pass through the stomach and are absorbed lower down the gut. As a result it takes a bit longer to work and some people take it at night so it is working by morning - so a double advantage. 

Many doctors will try to tell you it is more expensive - no it is not. When the NHS discouraged GPs from prescribing enteric coated the manufacturers put the price of ordinary pred up so there is far less difference than there was. By the time you add the cost of the omeprazole and the extra dispensing fee there is almost no differece and may even be cheaper. But anyway - if you need it, you need it! Even NICE said that.

It is also now possible to get 1mg enteric coated tablets (yellow) as well as the familiar 5mg (red) and 2.5mg. (brown) which most doctors know about. Google "1mg gastroresistant prednisolone" and you will get links to the details to brandish for your GP! Combining them all makes it easy to reduce in 0.5mg steps too without having to use plain pred at all.

Have you had a dexascan? You may not even NEED alendronic acid - just calcium and vit D. That is all I have used for the 8 years I have been on pred - and after 7 years there had been next to no change in my bone density. Loss of bone density is NOT inevitable on pred - less than half of patients develop low bone density. And it is also very likely due to the omeprazole - it too can cause osteoporosis all on its own.

• Posted

Eileen H

Thank you very much for all the information.  I was not aware enteric-coated Prednisolone came in 1mg and 2.5mg.  I was only aware of the 5mg.  I have had a Dexa scan and was shocked to discover I have osteoporosis already.  I still don't want to take alendronic acid.   I've been to see a Naturopath who told me that obtaining calcium from food is better than taking calcium supplements and she also told me to take a Vitamin K & D supplement.  Started on low fat Greek yoghurt yesterday.  Thanks again.

• Posted

It depends on how low your t-score readings are, Anhaga on this forum brought her -2.0 reading up to -1.6 in a year just with diet, supplements and exercise but that wasn't frank osteoporosis. 

Alendronic acid is not the only option - and while your naturopath is quite correct that dietary calcium is better than supplements, there are added aspects for the patient on pred which makes us lose calcium through the kidneys, Having extra in the form f supplements helps protect against that.

• Posted

Yes, getting what you can from food is always preferable, but you already have bone thinning and you are on pred which as Eileen points out can affect how your body absorbs some of the  necessary micronutrients.  I read recently that studies have shown eating a little yoghurt when you have your calcium supplement helps the body to absorb more, perhaps, I speculate, because of the presence of microbes in yoghurt.  And, as you already know, Vitamin K2 (not K1) is very important.  Did your naturopath mention the importance of also maintaining your magnesium level, both because calcium supplements without magnesium can actually throw off the balance between these minerals, so supplement taken at a separate time from calcium can be helpful.  And I understand that pred causes us to lose magnesium.
    • Posted

"studies have shown eating a little yoghurt when you have your calcium supplement helps the body to absorb more"

I think there may be a bit to do with having fat present too - none in the supplements themselves but it is essential.

• Posted

I found a medscape article from 2016 which begins:

ATLANTA (updated with commentary) — Healthy postmenopausal women who eat at least one serving of yogurt a day have a lower body mass index (BMI), less fat, and better bone density — at least at some skeletal sites — than women who never consume yogurt, new research shows.

Over time, women who ate yogurt also had less cortical bone loss than women who never ate it, and this was independent of any other factor that could account for differences in bone density, such as physical activity and total calcium intake.

"Yogurt is a source of nutrients, in particular calcium and protein, but it also contains fermented dairy products and probiotics, all of which are potentially beneficial for bone health," Emmanuel Biver, MD, PhD, chief resident at the Geneva University Hospitals, Switzerland told attendees here at the American Society of Bone and Mineral Research 2016 Annual Meeting.

"So we hypothesized that yogurt consumption might attenuate bone loss in postmenopausal women, and this benefit would be independent of total dietary calcium and protein intake," he added.

"And our data suggest that there is a possible protective effect of fermented dairy products on postmenopausal cortical bone loss," he stressed.

Asked by Medscape Medical News to comment, session cochair Marian Hannan, DSc, MPH, professor of medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, said she was "very taken" with the study and that the investigators had addressed all of her concerns.

She suggested the effects observed could have been because the women were more physically active and/or because of the protein in the yogurt, "but they controlled for physical activity" and "they did the best they could for adjusting for total protein."

"So I would take away from this study that there appears to be something to yogurt," she noted.

• Posted

Anhaga, Thanks for the information.  I am taking a supplement containing vitamins  D3 with K2.  Because I get palpitations while on my present dose of Prednisolone I wondered if it was because of depletion of magnesium so I started to take a Magnesium 260mg daily in the evening which helps with the palpitations so I hope it helps re bones too.  I will change to full fat yoghurt to get more calcium.
    • Posted

Yes - I'd seen it. No mention of the type of yoghurt - and the need for fat with calcium seems to skim along under the surface of awareness! Pun intended...

• Posted

The gallons of Yeo Valley I've eaten maybe accounts for my "amazing" bone density. That was the word my hip surgeon actually used. Well, I'll carry on with it anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.