Stomach Trouble and Nausea

Posted , 8 users are following.

Please help! 

This all started in February when I got severe severe nausea. I had some stomach pain, but for more than a week I was just really nauseous. It would get worse sometimes and I remember just begging my parents to kill me because I felt so awful I couldn't take it. That was the hardest time in my life, I went to urgent care and they gave me some medication, I think it's zofran, and that helped when I took it. They said I just had a bug and we decided that I did. Thankfully, I got better but then the next month I was nauseous for a few days or almost a week. It wasn't as bad as the first time, but I kept having nausea and it would get really bad for a few days almost every month. I went to the doctor and they ran blood, stool, and urine tests which all came back normal. (no H. Pylori) Now, it is August, and I still have been getting the nauseas, and also, the last few months I have also been having a feeling of something coming up my throat. Sometimes it's like acid, sometimes it's not. Yesterday, I felt super bad in my whole body and I had such bad nausea. I took my perscription pills (like I said earlier, I think it is zofran) and I did not eat dinner. This morning I woke up and I felt a little better so I had a fruit smoothie for breakfast but I still have nausea. I also have been feeling like my body is really heavy and i'm like a magnet to the ground. I just do not know what to do about this. My parents don't really want to take me to any more doctors because they dont give me any answers. and I can't take myself (as I am only 15) Everytime my nausea gets so terrible and I feel really bad I think what if it's a bug? Sometimes it seems different than it has been before or something and I think what if this is a bug? Because it gets really bad for a while, but then I get better (thank goodness) but then I get worse again. why am I feeling so bad so often? sad Please help. Any suggestions would be enormously appreciated. Also, a few weeks ago I saw my dad's chirproactor who also does natural and holistic healing. He told me to try going without gluten or dairy for a while and see if it helps. I did go without dairy or dairy for a few days but then I decided to just go without gluten. Without gluten, I was not having the severe nausea and the whole deal where i feel miserably nauseaous for a few days and I just lay in bed and don't eat anything (like I seem to get about once a month) I was able to live my normal life for the most part, but my stomach wasn't perfect, it just wasn't as bad as it gets every month or every once in a while. So a few days ago I started to eat a bit more gluten. Anyways, I just thought I would include that extra information. Please please leave any suggestions. Thank you. 

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Also, if there is any way to know if it is just a virus or something like that, please tell me because it drives me crazy every time wondering if it is. If it's just something that can't even be cured... Like everytime this happens I am like well "why am I so weak and dizzy? I don't usually get so exhausted and weak... maybe it's not even my usual problem?" (And I am not weak because of lack of food. I have been eating)

• Posted

You are way tooo young to have any of these things ! I will tell you what will help you for sure ?! Go and see pshychologist ! It will help you . Its all about your brain and anxity. If I think that I will have heart attack , than my brain will make me to think in that way and I will get panic attack which will lead me to ER. I know so many cases who had these issues and pshychologist helped them .
    • Posted

That's possible I guess... I have had some problems with anxiety before and have had some panic attacks. My mom got me some tapes to listen to from a program to get rid of anxiety and I listen to those sometimes, but I dont think anxiety is the cause of these stomach problems, but I will work on that.

• Posted

Anxity can be cause of anything . Its amazing how our brain is powerful. If you are just sitting there and waiting when your stomach will start hurting you , your brain will make it for you to believe in that. Make yourself busy, go run, go out with friends, have a hobby, dont think of pain and be positive . Doctors did everything and if sonething wring was there it would show on your tests. Just go and schedule and app.with pshy.and talk to him . You will see difference after a few visits.
  • Posted

I also thought I should add that today I am extremely dizzy which I have never had happen before... even when I'm sitting down everything is spinning. 

• Posted

If u are not eating properly.. Weakness can be the reason for dizzyness. Also If no bug is found then bug might not be a problem.
    • Posted

I know the dizziness cannot be caused by not eating enough or lack of nutrition because I have eaten quite a lot today and I also take lots of daily supplements and vitamins. 
  • Posted

You need to see another doctor preferably a GI doctor not a psychiatrist.  They will only try to convince you that your symptoms are in your head.  Your symptoms are in your stomach.  You may feel anxious but this is because you can't get answers.  I would stay off gluten if it helped your nausea and go off dairy for several weeks rather than just a few days.  Staying off it for longer will allow you to see if you have any food triggers.

Are you getting stomach pain, change in bowel habits, incomplete bowel movements or relief after passing a stool?  If so, it may be IBS  if all tests are negative. Nausea is common with IBS.  Have you had an ultrasound, endoscopy, colonoscopy?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I completely agree that this is not in my head. I do have anxiety, but it's not causing the stomach problems, the stomach problems are causing the anxiety. I guess I will try to stay off of gluten for a while... maybe I will see if I can get a test to see for sure if I have any food intolerances. And maybe I will try going without dairy, I just feel like i should do one at a time to know what is affecting the results and I usually don't feel worse after eating dairy. 

Yes, I have pain sometimes but it is not significant and it doesn't bother me nearly as much as the nausea. As far as bowel movements, I sometimes have constipation but I feel like it's not related to the nausea. But, maybe it could be IBS. Is there any way to diagnose IBS? And no I have not had any ultrasounds, endoscopyies or colonoscopies. I did have an x-ray one or two years ago because I had been complaining of stomach pain and they found it was constipation then. 

• Posted

To diagnose IBS other possible causes have to be excluded or a diagnosis can be made based on your symptoms alone.
  • Posted

Hi lindsay74688

There was something you kept mentioning throughout your discussion which drew my attention when you stated your symptoms occur "for a few days every month"

which leads me to think your symptoms of pain and nausea may be brought on by hormonal changes associated with your monthly cycle....do your symptoms occur around about your monthly menstruation?

Perhaps it would be a helpful for you if you keep a diary of your symptoms and see if they occur some days or a week or two before your period...if so you may need a blood test at that time to check your hormone levels and perhaps some hormonal treatment may be necessary...try it and see what transpires......best wishes....

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. We considered looking into that being a cause, but the thing is that I actually don't get a period and my symptoms arent symptoms usually caused by that. 

• Posted

You didnt start having a period at all ? You never had a period ? I mean its normal , I got mine when I was 18.
    • Posted

Well I seemed to get it twice - once last November and once last January but nothing since then
    • Posted

Hi lindsay74688

You dont say how old you are, but if you are not getting your regular period I think this should be investigated. I would go to your doc and discuss this with him or her....best wishes.....

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, 

i am 15 years old. The only thing that makes me not understand how period things could be causing is how does it cause extreme nausea? and I get this not always once a month, and not usually at the exact same time of the month either. For example, this month I've got it twice...

• Posted

Hi lindsay74688

You may have low levels of progesterone. Progesterone is vital for keeping your periods regular. Low levels of progesterone can cause nausea and gastro problems.....I suggest you return to your doc and discuss your irregular periods and ask to be tested for low levels if progesterone. At age fifteen your periods should be regular so obviously there is something not sitting right with the hormones oestrogen and progesterone that regulate your periods.....best wishes keep us posted....

• Posted

If you have just started your periods, they will be irregular and will take a while to develop a consistent pattern.  Mine started at 14 and were heavy, irregular, very painful and made me feel sick.  My niece is the same age as you and hers have not yet settled.  Perhaps give it a little more time to see if they balance out.
    • Posted

I've never heard of progesterone. I will look into that for sure. Would that just be a blood test? 

• Posted

Yes I'm not so worried about the fact that I'm not getting it, as I've heard it can be irregular in the beginning. 

• Posted

Hi lindsay74688

Progesterone is a hormone released by the Ovaries secreted by the Corpus Luteum. It prepares the enfometrium for the fertilisation of an egg. Changing progesterone levels can contribute to abnormal menstrual periods. Low progesterone levels can give rise to high levels of oestrogen which can cause abnormal periods and gallbladder and fertility problems.

A simple blood test can show your Progesterone and Oestrogen levels. These high/low levels of hormones can make you feel nauseas as you are, and one other reply has mentioned that she experienced nausea also. So if you have abnormal hormone levels this could be contributing to your pain and nausea......hope you get an answer to your problem...

• Posted

But be sure you know exactly when your last period AND when you next one showed up/ or not showed up, otherwise the hormone levels cannot be interpreted correctly since they are fluctuating a big deal in a cycle anyway normally. Progesterone is in luteal phase hormone only (needs a corpus luteum where it's made), estrogen has a big peak at ovulation, also a little peak in luteal phase though.

It's essential to know, where you were at time of sample taking.

(Progesterone though should indicate roughly where you were at. But again, just before menstruation it is not detectable anymore and is still considered luteal phase, hence important to know, when menstruation happened AFTER blood taking, if it happened at all until you see your doc again.)

Look up the hormone cycle pattern to be prepared.

'estrogen, progesterone, cycle' under images.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.