stop smoking five year's ago need some help please. ..

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi had chest xray done .I have no cough slight out of breath has I have asthma. doctor's have now told me I have mild change if my lung copd.when I asked does this mean I have the decease she said it might just be frm the damage from smoking all those years ago.am so worried and stressed.  does this mean this is the beginning of a death sentence? not sleeping or eating.sad

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mandy, please try not to worry, COPD is not a death sentence if you do have it, I'm in my 15th year with it ... when I was diagnosed I were told I'd be dead or bedridden in 4 years. I'm still here, I still work 30 hours a week in a strenuous job and I'm still medication free. . I go out and about, I walk for miles, the only thing that affects me is the wind ... I had a bullectomy in 2004 where parts of both my lungs were removed. . I see a consultant annually at the Norfolk and Norwich hospital, who in my eye is the best there is. Name of Philippe Grunstein .. I highly recommend him to anyone who has respiratory problems. . 

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones I don't know but I truly believe in mind over matter, the more you worry the worse things can get. 

I am currently being tested for sjogrens syndrome, somekind of auto-immune disease and in 2008 I had a ruptured aneurysm in my brain ... fully recovered from that op too. . . 

COPD is not a death sentence .. I'm living proof of that 

• Posted

what a remarkable lady you are.sounds like you are a born fighter.iam very worried indeed got two young children .don't zeem to be getting any answers from my doctor's. only stop worrying. iam going to ask for another doctor's a opinion. thank you for taking time out to reply. look after yourself and stay blessed. xsmile.
  • Posted

Don't get ahead of yourself mandy1410! It's going to be ok. If you have been smoking for a while something is bound to happen. It might not be anything serious. Don't be too worried about that. I'm sure it will be nothing at all! keep your chin up!
    • Posted

thank you morgan. its so worrying I have asked the gp..about the mild changes copd. she said she just need to keep an eye on me and to keep on top of my asthma. I feel we never get correct answers. its my own fault from smoking. I stopped five years ago.we can only hope..... thank you for you're kind words god blees.smile look after yourself 
    • Posted

No worries. As long as you take care of yourself, get enough exercise, keep watch over your asthma. I'm sure you'll be doing just fine! It might not be as bad as you think smile Rooting for ya!
  • Posted

That's exactly how I reacted.

Do I sort my funeral you name it so I fully

understand what you are saying.

No its not a death sentence , do what you can when you can xx

• Posted

that is exactly how am feeling not sleeping not eating.crying just reading every thing I can.witch is making it worse . I just seem to be seeing doom and gloom.thank you fir your relpy.take care if your self.smile.x
    • Posted

Dear Mandy 1410...

Please, please try not to worry too much... I have suffered from

Quite severe COPD and ASTHMA , for quite a few years... I take a steroid inhaler 2 puffs twice a day. Also a different inhaler 2

Puffs 4 times a day ( this inhaler is also used for asthma attacks.

I have felt so much better on these, ( I also had steroid tablets for a week when I had a chest infection also antibiotics )

I now feel really well, I have the occasional attack, but I can now

Walk up stairs without gasping... Please try to be positive, with

Treatment you can live a long and comfortable life....

Sincere regards .Deirdre x

• Posted

hi deirdre thank you for replying. and you're kind words.am in denial I keep looking for answers. and just reading doom and gloom. most of the information is saying two to five years life spam. am worried about not being able to breathe and for my two beautiful children watching me in this way.gosh am so frightened. you take the best possible care of yourself .god bless.x
    • Posted

Mandy ... When I was first diagnosed in 1999 I were told I'd be dead or bedridden in 4 years ... 

I am medication free and very much alive and kicking ... 

I can freely give my original Doc the 2 fingered head scratch.. 

COPD is not a death sentence . . I don't let it affect my life in the slightest ... please stay positive and don't believe all the horror stories out there smile

• Posted

I can't stop thinking about things. now I have read that you have to change you're diet cant eat a lot of thing's carbs are the main one and sugar. I just feel my life is over right about now wendy.i don't feel like the doctor's care.has it was me who bought it on my self iam mow worried about work has it quite dusty.i want to scream and hit some thing.thank you for talking to me.xxx

• Posted

Ask your GP for Pulmonary Rehabilitation

It has helped me. I start a course in January meanwhile I have physio exercises to do. X

• Posted

linda my gp ain't even spoken to me yet only a sister.and my doctor's wrote a note on the computer that he was satisfactory with the finding of the xray. am not happy about this and want answers .I have an appointment tomorrow morning to see what he has to say.smile xx thank you.for yur message it all helps. to know iam not alone.
  • Posted

Mandy I don't understand why your diet has to change .. 

The only thing I changed was smoking .. I gave up

as for diet, mine is far from healthy .. 

I live on hot spicy food mainly chilli of sorts and chocolate 

I also consume alcohol .. a glass of red wine and 2 large rum/brandy or southern comfort most nights .. I don't get drunk or tipsy ... but I do drink ... 

especially if I ain't on an early shift next day .. 

please try not to worry ... lol

• Posted

hi wendy my friends say it stop the decease from making it harder to breathe. like carbs and bread and soda and certain veg .iam very confused and been told to only drink water. I would murder for a drink and a slice of cake.smile.xx scared incase I make it go to the next stage....
    • Posted

Mandy go for the drink andthe cake is what I say ... 

in fact have 2 slices ... smile smile

• Posted

seen the doctor yesterday he said not to worry to much my sat was 98 being sent for some test.to see if it is copd.as some xrays do show changes of copd.in x smokers. Iam so stressed out he given my antidepressants to help me sleep.thank you ladys for replying. I have a very large slice of cake.xx
    • Posted

Told you it wouldn't be as bad as you think smile Have another piece of cake for me :D and good luck with everything wink
    • Posted

I will morgan I have a little daughter called morgan..iam in bed with a bad cold at the moment thank you for all your kind words and just having some one to talk to out side the family.smile
    • Posted

Ooops bummer sad get well soon and I'll be around smile Say hi to Morgan for me too. (You can tell her Morgan says hi ... :P) Have a good night 
    • Posted

I will morgan she loves it when other have the same name she says you named me after a boy.bless.and a very big thank you morgan.smile
    • Posted

An excuse for an extra slice of cake if you are in bed Mandy .. 

hope your cold soon passes and you feel better .. 

What do you say Morgan ... an extra slice for Mandy smile biggrin

• Posted

hi wendy cold really bad think it going to my chest nit eating. and awake with a dreaded panic attack....it's the sane every night.i just want to feel normal instead of this crazy burden am feeling.idon't know how you ladys cope with it all???? its really to much for me.... I feel so alone.sadthank you for your kind words.xxx
    • Posted

Dear Mandy1410 ... I think you have overexcited yourself. It's the stress of thinking of all the what-ifs when you seem to be doing just fine smile 

I'd say an extra slice of cake ... nice warm tea ... snuggles ... some boring soap operas and you'll be running around in circles in no time! smile smile 

• Posted

hi morgan another trip to the doctor's and more antibiotics .lungs still not sounding clear.and dam acid reflux from stress.got to have that test where you blow in to a tube to see what's going on.i would love a big slice of cake right now.yet again thank you for your kind thoughts and word much needed has am driving hubby insane...smile 
    • Posted

No probs. I'm happy I can help out some smile Get well soon so you can have cakes again! smile
    • Posted

hi morgan hope you are okay may I ask you a question please?  do you drive at all am a little worried that I will have to hand my drivers license back because of having copd.i hate being like thissad take care xxx
    • Posted

Howdy Mandy1410 ... well ... don't be so bummed out. I'm sure things will be ok. All you have to do is take care of yourself and don't lose your head! smile The thing is, living in Bangkok, Thailand ... I don't drive. I don't have a driver's license. I don't have a car. Traffic here is so horrendous that I'd rather take the bus and train to work than go through the trouble of driving. :P  So sorry, can't help you there, luv. But I'm sure you shouldn't have to if you take considerable care of yourself. Keep your chin up and be happy smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.