Stopped citalopram

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello all

I was on citalopram 20mg x 1 a day for the last 6 months, I have stopped this medication last week and since then I feel so bad, I am nauseaous, shaky, electric shock feelings in my legs, numbness, tiredness WTF!

Maybe I should not have just stopped right? But I felt that it was doing me no good! Anyone feel the same once they stopped this medication

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was on cit for 2 months as my doctor believed I had depression and anxiety. After 4 weeks my mood was the same but my throats starting getting tight all the time. I looked into it and anxiety can cause that sensation and cit can increase anxiety, also cit can cause stomach stress which can cause reflux which can cause throats issues. So I came off. Cold turkey had one day of throwing up but since have felt better but the throat is still pestering me, but it takes around a week for cit to get out of your system so maybe I'm almost through this stretch

• Posted

Correct

it has to be stopped very very very slowly

it too me a year to reduce from 20 mg in 2.5mg staged doses Then 1.25 towards the end. 

No side effects

Thats why u fell bad 

Have a look at. Coming off Citalopram. There's lots posts there inc mine 

• Posted

Hi Gillian

Started back on it and the side effects have left me, that feeling of vertigo and sickly feeling was hurrendous, will never be doing that again!

• Posted

Very pleased your sorted

It's horrendous isn't it

The meds work great once you have it stabilised in your system

But do remember the advice for the future!

• Posted

Hi Gillian

The side effects from stopping them suddendly just hit me like a ton of bricks about 3 days after I stopped, I felt hurrendous! All that has gone which must be me continuing on the cit! 

Thanks for your advice and help, now just to sort this throat out and chest. 

• Posted

Hi Kay. A known side effect of citalopram is acid reflux and what's not generally known is that this can present as a cough. I've had it. My doctor gave me a protein pump inhibitor to help it calm down but I wouldn't recommend these as they are now linked to osteoporosis in women. Better try ranitidine or Zantac which have the same effect but not harmful. Treat your cough as though it's reflux or indigestion and see what happens. It worked for me. Eating dairy products makes it much worse. Hope you feel better soon xx

• Posted

Hi Liz

Thanks for your message. I have been on PPI's for about 12 weeks now with no effect on the cough, ive stopped them as whats the point of taking them if they dont work. Ive tried everything with this night time cough, water to humidifier to asthma pumps to vicks on my feet, nothing curbs it! Its so frustrating. Going back to the GP next week for a follow up, its scary when they have suck trouble finding out what the issue is, im petrified of lung cancer!

• Posted

Give ranitidine (zantac) a try it's so much better than a PPI, excellent thread by the way. Being on citalopram is never straightforward bit it does help having this forum to turn to.

• Posted

Hello Gerrymoo

Thank you for your message - will give the zantac a try, I stopped coughing for 3 nights but it was back last night sad GRRRR 

I would never suggest coming off citalopram just like I did to anyone, the feelings were terrible and it is worth noting that the symptoms of withdrawal only started 3 days after I stopped.....was awful, back on them now though and going to talk to the Dr to see if I can slowly be weaned off. 

• Posted

Hi Kay, that must have been awful for you, have you stabilised back on 20mg now and how has it been getting back on it?

I stupidly took 2 x 20mg instead of my usual 20mg dose. I'd had a bad fall and in the mayhem took another tablet later in the evening. I've felt off it now for 2 weeks- just so tired and nauseous.

Hope you feel better soon and get sorted with the Santa

Gerry

• Posted

Yes worse thing you could have done

Glad you made it through!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.