Stopping AMLODIPINE ......experience explained .

Posted , 60 users are following.

Hello to everyone ..

I have benefited so much from the posts in the forum .. thanks ... I like to post a simple narration for those who are coming off it and share the experience or nightmare ...

It seems there are those with immediate bad effects with days of taking Am and those whose symtoms develop over months ... as long as 6 mths to even several years ..

I like to think that everyone will have a threshold .. where below that...one always assume is natural aging .. balance issues . Etc etc .... and once the symptoms cross that threshold .. you start to be very miserable and anxious .. so .. it may be that those who like me suffer after 6 mths ... actually have the issues but below the misery threshold.. and start to become bad to worse after 6 mths .....? This also complicated by other medications taken.....?

I think there are 2 groups of side effects .. 1. Primarily due to the drug in the system .. like the mental issues .. brain fog .. memory ... depression .. feelings of doom ...nauseous.. inability to think ... and 2 . Secondary due to the effects of the calcium mechanism altered by the drug itself ..possibly the aches .. pains ... joints.. leg swells.. etc etc etc....more physical stuff..

When Am is stopped ... based on the half like calculations.. it takes approx 12 days to clear the system... mainly most sufferers report an easing of the mental issues ....see a relief of the brain fog etc etc . However .. the physical issues seem to linger on and return on and off for some period of time .. definitely easing off in intensity and frequency .. but tapering off very slowly ...

This is my simple interpretation from the informative inputs and I wonder if there is a general concurence ?

Regards to all....

5 likes, 108 replies

108 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi chiooo

I hope you are correct in that side effects do eventually leave the system. Just today l have had a bad time, and here's me thinking l was on the road to recovery!

I woke with a pulse of 76 which is ok l know. I took my Bisoprol betta blocker as usual and perhaps 2 hours later felt light headed and nauseous. My pulse was now 53, it's never been that. I carried on as normal doing everyday stuff but felt ill. My heart rate was now fluctuating up high and then very low. Blood pressure high. What l want to know is this normal? Am on the betta blocker and Canderstartin 8mg. Any input appreciated.

• Posted

Hi Christine, I can understand all what you have explained about this AMPLODIPINE. I went to my Dr who had found out my blood pressure was a little high and put me on the same as you. But my dossage had been 5mg. At the start everything seemed ok then suddenlly both my ankles became swollen, my right Knee gave out as well as finding my joints had become weaker while walking. I had seen my Dr about this who had changed my medication to Rampril. After slowly coming off AMLODIPINE I had found my joints had started to become stronger and felt a lot better too. As for yourself, since I use to be a Carer ask your Dr to change your Medication, and ask if you could have your ears checked. I've stated your ears as if any of them become blocked with wax dizziness can be caused this way too.

Good Luck (Adrian)

• Edited

Hi chiooo

I hope you are correct in that side effects do eventually leave the system. Just today l have had a bad time, and here's me thinking l was on the road to recovery!

I woke with a pulse of 76 which is ok l know. I took my Bisoprol betta blocker as usual and perhaps 2 hours later felt light headed and nauseous. My pulse was now 53, it's never been that. I carried on as normal doing everyday stuff but felt ill. My heart rate was now fluctuating up high and then very low. Blood pressure high. What l want to know is this normal? Am on the betta blocker and Canderstartin 8mg. Any input appreciated.

• Posted

Hi Christine ...

Am off 55 days now and just today .. I had an episode of sore neck and headaches... followed by stomach discomfort ..... like you .. nothing is normal with this drug ... so not up to making any conclusions....

However .. I tend to ask myself about the intensity and frequency of these unusual episodes... or "dips" are they generally managable....etc

Episodes like what u had fluctuating heart rate are unusual .. but that's what unusual about Amlodipine.. all my symptoms are unusual and unrelated and totally sidelined by doctors ....

• Posted

Thanks for that Chiooo.

Sorry you also had a bad day too. Tried to get Dr appointment but have to phone first thing tomorrow. What she can do l don't know as l seem to get more help and information from yourself and others on here.

• Edited

Hi Christine...

I found another good post which describes coming off Amlodipine.. you need to bear with the tapering off as ling as you know you are tapering off . Hope u feel better reading this ...

?2 ramvin   jeff097921 4 days ago

Hi,

For the pain, mine disappeared gradually over the course of 3 or 4 months though it started to subside in about a week. By subside, I don't mean a steady lessening. It was more come and go with some days being pain free then some days it would come back though not as intense. My neck pain was one of the last to fade away permanently. 

As for the palpitations and weakness, I'm afraid I can't really pinpoint when they disappeared coz it was like I just realized one day that I haven't experienced those for some time. But I would say that that would be around the 2 month mark. 

I hope that helps. Mind you that I did go through a period of frustration and despair coz I felt I wasn't getting better. But as they say, time heals. Perhaps that is what our body needs. Whatever toxins this medication pumped into us will definitely not go away on one day and their effects will definitely linger a while longer. 

• Posted

Hi chiooo,

Good info that. You said to me to taper the Amlodopine but actually the doc said to stop them but upped the other blood pressure med from 4 to 8. My blood pressure has rocketed from last week, it being 124/74 to today it was 172/81. Not feeling too good, bad headache etc. Am lost as to what to do. Couldn't get Dr appointment until next Thursday so will have to bear with it l guess.

• Posted

Hi Christine...

My tapering .. I meant the side effects and not the cutting off Amlodipine.. I cut it cold turkey ..

Tapering is so well described by the post I send u .. like is not a steady lessening but .... less intense.. less frequent .. less prolonged etc etc.....it still comes but maybe lesser ...

If u feel tapering.. even if stones days are bad .. or even if u have some new heartbeat issues but the other problems you had are less frequent or done off .. u are recovering ..!

• Posted

Once again thanks for valuable info. I didn't taper the Amlodopine as Dr put the dose up of Canderstartin so l thought that would counteract the loss of Amlodopine. How wrong was l? Another bad night of heart racing, 136 this time. Perhaps you are right in saying this will be the order of things until it completely leaves my system. Haven't taken the bb yet as heart now down to 64 which is too slow for me. Will wait until it comes up as the slowness is just as bad as the fast rate.

Take care yourself.

• Edited

Hi Christine... don't mean to just wanna console u or such but my pulse is 55 normally and when sleeping drops to 46 to 48 consistently ...

Suggest u not watch too much yr heart rate as it just promotes anxiety and becomes a vicious cycle ...if u distract yourself by planning some non intrusive activities and meet some people over the next 2 weeks and move focus away from this .. it may just help ..

• Posted

I do know what you are saying chiooo. But as a small person have been told by numerous Drs my pulse will always be higher than average. Saying that l also get what you are saying about being over anxious and taking too much note of my heart rate. Am not even going to check it anytime today, I've done. Will do as you advise and get myself motivated and away from checking myself constantly. It sure isn't helping.

Have a good day yourself.

• Posted

hi i quit cold turkey last week feel awful ended up b/p went to 211/78 last night and still feel down also missed heartbeats and headaces does this pass plz i was on them for 18 nightmare months

• Posted

I know your post is old but I have I had to respond about coming off cold turkey on a calcium channel blocker. I was on one for years, couldn't get my nurse practitioner to refill until I come in and was also taking Inderal. Long story short by the time I could come in her office, it was too late I had a hypertensive rebound from not having my ccb . My bp was 235/138. Went to hospital for 2 days from out of control blood pressure.

• Posted

Sarah, rule number one when it comes to getting off of addictive drugs is to taper over time. I did halves for one month steps. It's been a year and a half and I feel great. My BP is lower then it was when I was on drugs and I feel healthier too. Incorporate Turmeric and Cayenne into your diet. Read what they do for the cardio. You will be impressed.

• Posted

Agree , I have weaned myself off Clonidine, one of the most dangerous antihypertensive drug on the market, just missing a dose can cause a hypertensive crisis. In my case I was under close supervision of a Cardioligist that had me wean down every three days which was too fast so I lowered each dose every 7 days which was still fast for that drug not even cutting pills. I had two serious spikes and took 39 days to wean off, then put me on Amlodipine which is tearing my stomach up and causing chronic constipation. .. amoung other awful side effects. I'm pretty experienced at weaning off drugs, I have also weaned off two different beta blockers and xanax. I just want to make sure my blood pressure is under control with something natural so I'm using a good coq10 and Magnesium that's highly absorbed and will try Hawthorne soon too. I also take 40 mg. Lisinopril.

• Posted

i hope you see this. i know its been 2 years since a reply but i was recently taken off amlodipine after only being on it a month. i was on labetalol for almost one year and was switched to amlodipine without weaning off labetalol ( i did asked if i should wean doctor said no. now my bp has been good and i only have spiked during anxiety of panic attacks. my doctor said i could stop amlodipine. i asked twice if i should wean and she said no need. now im super worried . i havent taken it in 4 days. wondering if i should go back on just half a pill (2.5 mg instead of 5mg )

• Posted

Hi... I am in the same situation right now. What did you do and did it work?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.