Stopping AMLODIPINE ......experience explained .

Posted , 60 users are following.

Hello to everyone ..

I have benefited so much from the posts in the forum .. thanks ... I like to post a simple narration for those who are coming off it and share the experience or nightmare ...

It seems there are those with immediate bad effects with days of taking Am and those whose symtoms develop over months ... as long as 6 mths to even several years ..

I like to think that everyone will have a threshold .. where below that...one always assume is natural aging .. balance issues . Etc etc .... and once the symptoms cross that threshold .. you start to be very miserable and anxious .. so .. it may be that those who like me suffer after 6 mths ... actually have the issues but below the misery threshold.. and start to become bad to worse after 6 mths .....? This also complicated by other medications taken.....?

I think there are 2 groups of side effects .. 1. Primarily due to the drug in the system .. like the mental issues .. brain fog .. memory ... depression .. feelings of doom ...nauseous.. inability to think ... and 2 . Secondary due to the effects of the calcium mechanism altered by the drug itself ..possibly the aches .. pains ... joints.. leg swells.. etc etc etc....more physical stuff..

When Am is stopped ... based on the half like calculations.. it takes approx 12 days to clear the system... mainly most sufferers report an easing of the mental issues ....see a relief of the brain fog etc etc . However .. the physical issues seem to linger on and return on and off for some period of time .. definitely easing off in intensity and frequency .. but tapering off very slowly ...

This is my simple interpretation from the informative inputs and I wonder if there is a general concurence ?

Regards to all....

5 likes, 108 replies

108 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i know this post is old. however i have been on 5mg of amlodipine. i was getting dizzy and light headed all the time. on top of chronic stomach issues. i stopped taking it for a week and a half. i started to feel like i have been hit by a truck. my legs were weak also. it is the only medicine i am on. when i started to feel light headed and dizzy, my doctors just made it like i had vertigo. never in my life had i ever had an ear issue. my allergist says my ears are fine. so for about 5 years i have been taking this medicine. it didn't seem like it was helping much either but stuck with it. now after stopping it i am not sure is it the medicine or just me. maybe there is something else going on. please any insight would be great!!

• Edited

I was prescribed the Amlodipine 5mg once a day due to high blood pressure with Daflon and compression stocking after giving birth (130-140/80-90). After 5 days, out of balance. Then shortness of breath, high heart rate and anxiety. BP became normal (110-120/80). My Cardio decreased dosage to half a tablet a day (2.5mg) after 1 month. Out of balance and shortness of breath happens in the afternoon if i am tired or have anxiety. BP still normal (120/80). Cardio decreased dosage to 1/4 tablet (1.25mg) after 2 months to taper. No shortness of breath, normal heart rate, no out of balance. After 4 months, stopped taking amlodipine. However, had withdrawal symptom. Shortness of breath. On the 10th day, shortness of breath was the worst but bp and heart rate are normal. I thought of giving in and take the amlodipine again but was thinking that the amlodipine will go out of my system after 12 days. i focused on God. On the 11th day, shortness of breath is gone. I feel ok now. Thank you, God!

• Posted

I was only on Amlodipine for 4 weeks, but felt symptoms, so I stopped it cold turkey. Was only on 5mg. Since stopping, I have felt twitching in muscles in legs, arms, various other areas as well as a stiff neck and some ED.

It's been 30 days since stopping, could the Amlodipine still be causing this? Every Dr I talked to, even at UPENN, swears there's no way in hell it's the Amlodipine, but it's the only thing that I put in my system differently. I'm starting to worry I'll never get back to normal.

• Edited

I'm not sure if anybody is still discussing this, but I was put on amlodipine 2.5mg on thanksgiving for my bp I'm a 31 year old male; about to be 32 in January. My BP has been in the fairly normal range now unless I am very anxious especially in the doc office because I do also have white coat syndrome but when I take my BP at home it’s always pretty normal now.

Now that it has been around a month of taking this medicine I realized I have been getting very frequent urination and stomach cramping. I went to the ER and they did ct scan of my abdomen and pelvic; all normal. Blood tests; normal. Urine tests; normal. My GI wants to do a colonoscopy now to check for IBS.

I was put on Levofloxacin 500mg one a day for 7 days for possible complicated UTI or prostate infection. I’m 2 pills in and no relief yet but I’m praying for some relief. Just took Uristat and hoping that helps the symptoms.

I decided to look up Amlodipine and frequent urination because I seen that calcium channel blockers can give negative Urinary and stomach issues and couldn’t believe how many people deal with it. My wife doesn’t want me to jump right into another medicine for my bp if my doctor takes me right off Amlodipine.. but how do you even taper off 2.5mg of it? I’m just nervous I’m going to like have a heart attack or stroke if I stop it and my bp goes back up. The highest it ever got without medicine was like 154/100. The doctor said it went to 167/110 once in her office but I really think the nurse that took it had the cuff on wrong because my BP never goes that high. Idk what to do..

• Posted

Hi! I have only taken this drug for 5 days and had to go to the ER twice... they found nothing! I cried in my boyfriends arms because I didnt know exactly what was wrong with me and just wanted it all to stop. I found this forum and discussed it with my boyfriend that its the pill, I have only been off of it for 2 days and for some reason my body still feels like its on it... I have been having anxiety/panic attacks afterwards Im thirsty. I just hope it goes away!

• Posted

im a bit late to this unfortunate amlodipine problem. I went to see a new Dr. after being on the same blood pressure meds for many yrs. she decided for some reason to take me off my beta blocker & put me on amlodipine for some reason. now I'm having major problems I've never had before. my legs are swelling. I'm having trouble breathing. I have dizzy spells, headaches & a few other issues that I feel are caused by these meds. does anyone know how long the physical effects take to wear off after stopping this junk?

• Posted

im 30 days off AM. was talking them for 6 months. the worst symptoms EVER!!!! i feel a lil better now. i dont recommend this to no one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.