Stopping an Attack

Posted , 23 users are following.

Could you please tell me how you all stop an attack.  Is there something that works for you?  Thanks

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Minor ones I could clear easily by sitting/lying down, closing eyes and almost meditating and they're gone within seconds. 

The SVT diagnosis attack was a little trickier as went on for allot longer. I wear a fitbit too, so clearly seeing my HR probably didn't help. 

Eventually, I was able to clear it myself with what I am pretty sure was the same method lying down and almost medidating, however, I was so dazed! I know I didn't have meds, which I was pelased about. The doc tried the sinus massage and they also tried the leg lift whilst blowing into a syringe, but they didn't touch it. 

How about you?

• Posted

I haven't found anything to stop them.  I just sit and wait.  Am too scared of adenosine to go to the hospital.

• Posted

I went to the A+E yesterday with my attack and they vs average me adenosine which didn't work the first time so they gave me another shot now Iam scared to go to the hospital that's why Iam looking for an answer on here

• Posted

i had 2 adenosines within 2 weeks, then the hospital started me on metoprolol. if the hospital won't give you a daily treatment go to your doctor and ask for metoprolol it works. reduced my episodes

• Posted

Got an appointment with doc's on Wednesday to discuss treatment hope I get something to stop it

• Posted

Went to the docs and he give me antacid tablets cause I said when I bend over I get an episode cause me stomach get squashed up into my chest it's not acid doc! sad

• Posted

go to another doctor, yes the stomach plays a part in svt because it did the same to me. any digestive problem triggers an svt attack
  • Posted

I was never able to successfully stop an attack. I read everything online I tried everything online none of that worked for me. Mostly I would succumb and have to sit down put my feet up drink a bunch of water and just wait for it to pass. Sorry I wish I could be more helpful but my SVT attacks were very debilitating.
    • Posted

I haven't found anything to stop them yet either.  I just sit and wait for it to stop.  They last for hours though.

• Posted

I agree - was never able to stop an attack either and mine also lasted for hours.  The following day I was completely washed out too and fit for nothing!  I recommed an ablation; I had one last June and haven't had an attack since although I still feel as though one is starting from time to time but a cough now puts a stop to it.

• Posted

How long did yours go on for and did they always stop on their own eventually?
    • Posted

They went on for hours but did eventually stop by themselves - my heart rate was over 200 though each time so I used to feel horrible.  The doctor prescribed me a high dose of Propanalol which stopped them after about 90 mins in the end before my ablation.
    • Posted

Mine go on for hours too.  My longest was 9 hours but have never been over 180.  Did you just use the Propanalol during an attack?  I am so scared of having to have adenosine, did you ever have this?
    • Posted

No I never  went to the hospital during an attack because I knew they weren't actually life threatening,  I took 80mg of Propanalol as soon as an attack began and then just sat and tried to relax until it stopped, but it still took an hour and a half at least to take effect.  My attacks were random, I could get two in the same week and then not again for 2 months so I didn't want to take beta blockers permanently.

• Posted

Just had adenosine today for an attack 6mg worked great with no side affect. I would never wait longer than an hour to go to hospital.
    • Posted

I've had adenosine twice in 2 weeks. all it does it drop your pulse you feel your chest warm up and slight pressure. once your pulse drops your out of SVT

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.