Stopping an Attack

Posted , 23 users are following.

Could you please tell me how you all stop an attack.  Is there something that works for you?  Thanks

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have had SVT for 20 years.  In the beginning I had no idea what it was.  At the time I was going through a divorce and thought I was probably having an anxiety attack.  They SVT would always just go away by itself in a few minutes. As the years went on the attacks got worst and longer until one day I had to go to the ER to get it resolved with a shot of adenosine. The doctor in the ER told me I needed to see a cardiologist. The cardiologist ran several test but did not tell me I had SVT. It was several more years before another attack sent me to the hospital and I was advised to see an electro physiologist. It was then I found out I had SVT. I was prescribed Cardia to take wien I had an attack and for several years this worked, usually within about 45 minutes. In the last 2 years the attacks have gotten more frequent and severe and usually no matter what I do they will not stop until I go to the ER and get the adenosine.  One time when I was at the gym and I had an attack, I had a bottle of cold water with me and when outside and dumped it on my head and it stopped but subsequent to that I have tried it during an attack and it did not stop. You can try blowing through a straw, pushing down like having a bowel movement, laying on your right side, and caughing. For some, these may work at times but other times not work. I have an ablation scheduled for May because I am fearful my heart is getting weaker plus its just very stressful to always be fearful of an attack. 

• Posted

I agree it is very stressful living in fear of an attack.  I had one while away for the weekend in France and it has frightened me that it will happen next time we go away.  It is starting to impact my life now.
    • Posted

I had my first SVT attack when I was about 40 yrs. old. I just felt my heart beat very hard and fast out of the blue. I didn't have any significant problems until 7 yrs. later. I started to drink more coffee and I had a major attack in 2012. I had to go to the ER and I was given 4 doses of adenosine through an IV before my heart rate was normal. I tried splashing my face with iced water and doing a val sal maneuver, but my heartrate wouldn't go down. I was having difficulty breathing and that's when I called for help. After that episode, I've had minor SVT attacks about 2-3X a year. Usually, I would splash my face with iced water or do a val salva maneuver and just lie down and relax and it would stop. A few months ago, I started to have more frequent attacks. My last SVT attack lasted for more than 3 hours and I was exhausted. My heartrate didn't go past 180, but it lasted longer than my previous ones. I decided to take meds after refusing any type of meds because I was afraid of side effects. I am tired of having anxiety over SVT so I decided to get an ablation this summer. I was having premature atrial contractions also, so my doctor prescribed Flecainide and Digoxin. These meds have helped with my palpitations and SVT, but occasionally my heart rate goes to 88 bpm and I feel uncomfortable. I hope the ablation will work and I won't feel anxious anymore.

• Posted

Your story is similar to mine.  I was unaware what was happening to me until the attacks got worse resulting in me having to go to hospital, adenisone did not revert my heart, sotalol in a drip did last time.
  • Posted

I've done a lot of research on SVT since being diagnosed about 2 years ago (although having my first attack about 10 years ago) main thing I have realised is that nearly everyone's SVT is different.. you hear all these techniques of baring down, blowing into a straw etc will stop your svt,I feel for some people yes this helps but for the most it's bullsh't .. could you advise me of your age, what causes your attacks how long they last etc .. and I will try to advise on both personal experience and through reading about svt

• Posted

Your replies, so far, are what I would have expected.  Lots of people have success with lots of techniques (breathing and body positioning work well for me) but for some of us, nothing at home will work.  I haven't had to go in for adenosine for a couple of years now, but I still struggle with the emotional impacts of SVT.  I strongly encourage you to read as much as you can, try anything that seems reasonable to you, and see what happens.  You may find something to give you at least some control over your SVT and, thus, noticably improve your quality of life.  I hope you do.

• Posted

I hesitate to tell you what I do because it sounds counter-intuitive, but it works for me. I hop on my bike and pedal fast round the block. Normally exercise like this increases one's heart rate, and after stopping the exercise one's heart rate goes back down. Exercising during an svt episode seems to send my heart rate back down to normal after I stop. I found this out by accident when an episode started after I had gone shopping by bike and the only way I had to get home was on the bike. It sounds a bit dangerous but my cardiologist said it was okay. I am lucky in that I only get an episode about once a year, but other that taking a beta blocker, no other method has worked for me.

Please check with your doctor before trying it!

• Posted

I have finally found a 100% effective, quick and easy way to stop all my SVT attacks! I have tried all the maneuvers and techniques. Some of them worked, sometimes, but nothing worked consistently. From ice water to carotid message, from grunting, pushing and blowing, I found no satisfactory technique. My attacks would come from several times a day to once in a couple of months. Episodes would last from minutes to almost 24 hours; symptoms from mild to debilitating faintness. After many opportunities to experiment on myself, and much prayer, I have at last found a technique that never fails. I have made a video demonstrating an the conversion of an actual episode to share with other sufferers. I now welcome attacks, knowing that I can stop them in seconds. Watch the video at

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Hi Jon, I would love to know your technique and see the video.  Could you send the link to the video?

Thank you,

Lisa

• Posted

Hello there. My name is Alex as some of u might know already. I've posted on this blog before. I too have svt I am currently on metoprolol tartate 25mg twice a day if needed. My anxiety has been really bad lately not knowing when an attack is going to happen again ?? I am 20 years old a mother of 3 little boys! I'm terrified ????

• Posted

Alex, I can't imagine chasing after 3 little boys while also dealing with SVT.  I watch my daughters (4 and 3 young kids, respectively) and am thankful that their mother and I were only challenged by two.

I strongly encourage you to find the best medical care available and take full advantage of it.  As I hope you already know, much can be done now to treat SVT, and there's an excellent chance a cure is coming your way. 

Your anticipatory fear is shared by many, and probably most, SVT people. It may be one of the most significant parts of the SVT package.  Always try to remember that an otherwise healthy heart is not endangered by "ordinary" bouts of SVT. I wish the very best for you.

• Posted

the metoprolol won't prevent svt, but it will reduce them and make them end quicker. I also take metoprolol 25mg twice daily and been told to take an extra 25mg metoprolol if I have an svt after an hour. when I take the extra metoprolol it stops the svt. but you need to take to 2x 25mg daily don't take it as needed because when you take it daily it metabolises in your blood which controls svt. taking it as needed without having it daily won't stop it. 2 days ago I went to emergency with svt they gave me  a 25mg metoprolol and it stopped under 50 minutes. thats why its important to take it twice daily whether your in svt or not. I've been taking metoprolol for 24 days now and its made a lot of difference. not stopping the attacks but now I have more control over them

• Posted

I splash cold water on my face, cough, drink cold water, strain as if I am going to the toilet- seems to do the trick every time! If I'm in public, i go somewhere quiet, like the toilets and also concentrate on breathing slowly and calmly as well as the above. 

Before I released they were SVT attacks and I thought were just palpitations that went on a long,sometimes hours, I could not stop them, didn't know how. Now as soon as my heart goes into SVT (can be fast 200 bpm)  the above seems to work so far smile

• Posted

For me its different every time, drinking ice cold water or hitting my chest really hard, just now fixed mine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.