Stopping an Attack

Posted , 23 users are following.

Could you please tell me how you all stop an attack.  Is there something that works for you?  Thanks

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Bending over, breathing in as deeply as I can and holding that breath until my heart jumps back into its usual rhythm nearly always does the trick for me. Can take a few attempts and feels a bit like you're compressing your heart when you do it, which used to terrify me, but that technique has worked for me for about 10 years so I'm very much used to it now - Hope that can help someone else. 

• Posted

I think it really varies depending on the type of SVT and the trigger. For me, the EP study found that mine is a focal point atrial tachycardia. These seem to be more common to spontaneously resolve and for me they are definitely triggered by adrenaline and movement. So when they come on, they tend to be very short lived if I just lay or sit for a while and stay calm. If I panic and adrenaline starts to flow they can be more persistent, and I'm usually able to shut them down with a vagal maneuver (bearing down) though I have to bear down HARD and for like 10+ seconds. The problem is that while that usually shuts it down it often starts back up again seconds later because the adrenaline is still coursing through my veins. So usually what works is laying down and relaxing.

That said, there are different things that cause SVT and there are different triggers for each. In my case, I have a focal atrial tachycardia (so a single cluster of cells in my heart that get triggered and beat too fast) that is sensitive to adrenaline. So calming down works great, and bearing down tends to work well for these, but once those cells get all jumpy they really need some time to calm down and stop getting so activated. But there are other types of things that cause SVT, and other biological triggers in the body that activate them, so what works for me might not necessarily work for anyone else. 

It is however worth a try. I've been told it also works better to try bearing down with your legs elevated (modified valsava maneuver). You can do that by scooting up against a wall and putting your legs straight up the wall with your butt up against it. Then try bearing down, and when you do it, REALLY bear down. Give it a good solid pressure (like you are doing a crunch) and push your breath hard against your closed mouth, for a solid 10 seconds. Note that this will feel terrible and may feel like you're going to pass out. But it may work... Also regardless of type of SVT many are triggered by adrenaline, so the more scared you get and the more you panic, the less likely it will be to stop. Laying down, trying to relax, staying calm, is worth a shot. 

• Posted

Hi Chad.

I went for my 2nd attempt at ablation. Jan 16th. EP said that I did not have AVNRT (as previously thought)  but it is AT.  He did not have the 3D machine set up so I am going back May 7th.

He also said that I will be put to sleep for this one too.

I really do not know much about AT.  Is it more serious than AVNRT?

I did hear that adenosine does not stop episode.  ( Not that I want it)

My episode range from 45 minutes to about 6 hours.

My last bad one was 6 hours, and I finally went into the hospital. They wanted to give me that nasty shot. ( I then did not know it was AT).  I finally agrred but tole them I had to pee before they gave it to me.  (My episodes keep me in the washroom).   

When I came back from the washroom. and they were waiting  for me. They hooked my back up, and my HR was 74!!!!!

Got dressed and came home. I was so relieved.

Have you had a try at an ablation?  

• Posted

Well I don't think any of them are really any more dangerous than others (outside of A-fib which has an increased risk of stroke if persistent). My understanding is that AT tends to be more self limiting, since it's not an extra circuit or anything it tends to wear itself out over time especially if you can relax.  AVNRT is like an extra wire running between the top and bottom of your heart, where the electrical signal can go down that wire as well as the main wire (thorugh the A/v node) and then go around and around in a circle. AT on the other hand is a small cluster of cells somewhere in the heart that for whatever reason are programmed to beat too fast and when triggered send out a signal faster than your sinus node does. AT is less common (stats say 5% to 15% of all SVTs) but not really any bigger risk than any other SVT.

My longest episodes are about 20 minutes or so and my more frequent episodes are usually like 8 beat runs, and they're triggered by some kind of straining or getting my heart rate up quickly and then quickly back down (like jogging up a flight of stairs). Usually once triggered I have to stay still, any walking will kick me back into SVT. I usually sit or lay down for 5 minutes or so to calm everything down and then it's good to go. it is also triggered by sudden stress or anxiety.

I had an ablation last summer but it seems to have failed. I was relatively symptom free for a while (though I also stayed on my beta blocker), but lately I'm having much more frequent episodes and the beta blocker isn't doing it anymore. I have an appointment next week with my EP to discuss trying again. Unfortunately for me the place they needed to ablate was very close to my A/V node and also extremely hard to get to. My ablation took 3.5 hours and he said he went through 4 very expensive special tips to try and get at it. I was awake the whole time, my EP wants to keep you as alert as possible to make it easier to trigger the arrhytmia. Basically being scared in there, while not fun, makes it more likely they can trigger it. I got a small dose of a sedative at the start (very small, just enough to slightly relax me but not enough to make me happy) and then more sedatives plus heavy duty painkillers when they started to ablate (still hurt like heck).

In the end he had to quit to avoid damaging the A/V node but he did enough that I no longer went into tachycardia when they tried to provoke it so we thought it was successful. But it's possible now that things have healed up a new pathway has grown around the ablation or something...

I'm hopeful the second time will fix it but we shall see...

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your thoughts.

My first ablation was June 2016. This is unsuccessful as the EP thought he could not trigger because of the benzo I was on for anxiety.   I then went on a secsond med (Trazodone).  Then I took 10 months to wean off as EP would not do the second one if I was on anything.  So that was Jan 16/18.  By the way I was awake for both of these,,,no sedation.   He said he could provoke the   tachy through my groin, but also gave me a shot of something to aggravate it, so I really do not know. He saidhe was able to put me into tachy. I know that as I felt it.  That is when he found out it was AT.  Just blows me away how they can find this out.   I again was devastated.

It has caused so much anxiety.   Also I am not on any BB.  I took it for 3 months and stopped 5 days prior to my first attempt  June 2016.   I said I would not go back on them as I felt like trash when taking them.   Maybe that is why my episodes are so much longer than your.   I just told them I would rather have tachy than feel that way on Biso.  My heart rate was so low as was my blood pressure.   My hands and feet were so cold, and I could not get off the sofa.

Just really tired of all of this........

Where was your done?    

• Posted

I know this is a little late but, personally I was born with it and usual what helped stop attacks was going upside down(like doing a handstand), holding my breath/making my breathing be slower, putting something cold on my head, and laying/sitting down. It's been 4 years since I had it but these usually worked for me. I hope this helps! smile

• Posted

Monday I had an svt attack, 188 beats a minute, the hospital gave me 2  shots of 5 mg of adenisone and the third was 12 mg. it did nothing, I blew into a syringe and held my nose and blew, nothing!   They gave me sotalol in a drip and over a couple of hours it was down to 90.   Not a nice experience at all, my third big one in a year, but lots of small ones.
    • Posted

last week my svt was going at 150, they gave me an option of adenosine or metoprolol I chose metoprolol and it ended 50 minutes later

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.