Stopping Bisoprolol

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there. I was prescribed Bisoprolol 1.25mg for blood pressure but now among other things it has lowered my heart rate to the 50s. I cut it in half for more than a week but still no change in my heart rate. I am Planning  to go see my GP this week. I am also planning to miss today half dose has anyone missed a dose or do you think I should take the medication until I see my Gp. I am new to this group forgive my long text

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

1.25 is a very low dosage. My heart rate has lowered to 51 but I had a low heart rate to start with (65ish) after 30+ years of sport.

I'd always advise someone to see their GP before chopping or stopping medication and to be honest a resting heart rate of 50 isn't dreadful, especially if you have been prescribed the bisoprolol for BP. 

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I have followed advice and taken my dose for today. But soon after taking it started feeling the same horrible side effects now don’t know if it’s more now psychological as I was not feeling it b4 I took it. I pray I will successfully be weaned off this. 
    • Posted

I have to honest and say I have not had any side effects from this medication at all apart from the lowered heart rate. Like all medication, perhaps you need to persevere for several weeks till your system adjusts. Just a thought.
    • Posted

You are one of the very few who are lucky enough not to experience nasty side effects with this medication, my husband was also one of the lucky ones, I have been on it almost 5 years now (2.5mg) and still feel like a zombie most of the time but I have learned to live with it as it controls my Atrial Fibrilation (190 beats per minute when diagnosed) so it is the lesser of the 2 evils where I am concerned.
    • Posted

You are absolutely right Phoebe.....sometimes we have to look at the big picture .....the lesser of 2 evils.

good luck

• Posted

I have been on them 3 days only for ventricular ectopic beats I had 9000 in 24 hours with Holter on , haven’t felt any side effects yet heart beat  about 50 went up to 80 after some exercise . I had heart surgery to repair mitral valve and they say my heart has got lazy it not emptying strongly   enough, but would think betas make it weaker ! I don’t know . Yours problems different . I think they don’t really know what these drugs are doing , I’m only taking 2.5 so may justcut in half. Like someone suggested. But to feel tired all the time isn’t great for you! I felt tired when my heart kept doing extra beats! I think stress has bought it on for me as fine after surgery 
  • Posted

I was on beta blockers for over 20 years due to HBP.   I had to come of Bisoprolol in Nov 2017;as my heart rate was sometimes 45 during the day and 41 during the night.   It took me 6 months to come of them.   My heart rate now I see a bit fast sometimes but resting in the 60s.   And 50s during the night.   My BP is harder to control now but I am getting there.   Every tablet has side effects, every person will have side effects they can and can’t live with.    All the best. Hi 
    • Posted

I have reduced them to 2.5 and heart rate in 50’s so that’s better as like you was too low . But I’ve only just started them for this ventricular ectopic beat , seems to have fixed that , but all these drugs are poison. Is anyone there who is okay taking these beta blockers ???
    • Posted

Hi there

i am absolutely fine taking 2.5 mg split one 1.25 in the morning an de 1.25 in the evening. I do feel weakish  sometimes when doing strenuous exercise (I've always been sporty) butvto be honest, it's better than the continuos ectopic beats I had before. 

• Posted

, I have cut down again to only 1.25 in morning , see how I go , seems enough to stop most of ectopic beats 
    • Posted

Mine just felt odd , maybe a bit breathless and a feeling of anxiety , hard to explain I couldn’t feel them like some people , but when I wore a Holter for 24 hours I had 9000 and anything more than 5000 in 24 hours is seen as a problem . The cause ? Don’t think they always know , I had heart surgery two years ago that was successful but could be cause , it a recent bother anasthetic and strong pain killers , Age etc combination of all , 
    • Posted

My ectopic beats when standing can vary in intensity, the worst ones feel as if my breath has been snatched away and I gasp, lighter ones as if I just went over a small bridge in a car or down to a flutter feeling.

In bed, lying on my left feels as if I have a wet fish in my chest that flaps against my insides, on my right side they feel like a tiny muffled explosion that sends a shock wave down my artieries into my legs.

• Posted

I thought I was feeling a little better yesterday, but this evening is one of those evenings I feel I should be in hospital,
    • Posted

Oh sorry to hear that. I pray that you feel better soon. R u on any treatment 
    • Posted

No treatment, its been a year long battle to get the NHS to even refer me, they like to claim its anxiety so that they can save money.
    • Posted

How can it be anxiety when your ECG is coming out the way it does. 
    • Posted

Sorry, I should have been more specific, my Ventricular Tachycardia was treated by an ablation 11 months ago, (though it was my being pro-active and buying my own ECG machine that brought their attention to it!), the symptoms that remain and were fobbed off as anxiety were the symptoms that arrived the day I took Bisoprolol.  
    • Posted

What symptoms are you experiencing. I have just been weaned off Bisoprolol. I feel better in myself just muscle pains, leg pains 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.