Stopping Bisoprolol Completely 1.25mg

Posted , 35 users are following.

I have been taking Bisoprolol 1.25mg for about 2 months now. I had a heart stent 2.5 months ago and a second one 1 month ago. My echocardiogram is normal.

I have suffered from low blood pressure most of my life and i want to come off the Bisoprolol now, but I am getting no support from my GP or Consutant.

Has anyone else come off Bisoprolol 1.25mg successfully and how did you do it?

2 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi again Sharon. Nice to know you are clear of Bispoprolol and already feeling better and fitter!

In my case, I just stopped, and frankly, would rather have popped my clogs than carry on taking it.

I went without anything for about 6 months (I'm not advising it) till finally got the ok for an ablation. That was almost two years ago, and seems to have been successful.

Trouble is, I'm a bit of a *+%# when it comes to prescription drugs. Having been told my AF was cured, I was nevertheless prescribed Warfarin 'just in case', which I resent having to take...and probably wont.

Regards and best wishes,

James 

PS DO NOT FOLLOW MY EXAMPLE ALL YOU GOOD PEOPLE OUT THERE!

• Posted

What was happening during the six months you were waiting for the ablation?
    • Posted

Hi Derek,

Having done with the beta blocker, I continued to have bouts of AF, (which, incidentally, had not stopped even WITH the Bisoprolol), during the 6-7 months, which worried me somewhat, having found out AF can cause strokes. 

After the ablation, my GP discovered, via a 3-day Holter Monitor, that although the AF had seemingly been successfully treated, I had something called supraventricular tachycardia. This condition, I was later told by the consutant electrophysiologist, was not dangerous, and that if I didnt mind a mildly uncomfortable arrythmia now and then, would not require medicating...

• Posted

Hello Sharon and James

Did you both come off Bisoprolol on your own?  I've cut down to 1.25 per day from 2.5 but still suffering from zombie-like effects.  Otherwise feeling good after a heart attack in May.  Seeing my consultant tomorrow and am going to ask her if I can stop taking it.  She'll probably say no but I think I might stop anyway.  I'm also on aspirin, clopidogrel for a year, ramipril and statins. Prior to all of this I was in great shape.  Now weary, depressed, 7 lbs heavier and look like I've been beaten up (covered in bruises which apparently is a side effect of  the clopidogrel/aspirin combo).  Anyone got any words of wisdom for me? 

What is the bisoprolol doing other than lowering blood pressure and pulse rate?  Think I'm on it as a preventative measure.  Prior to heart attack, blood pressure and pulse were fine.  Isn't the ramipril enough as a precaution?  If I were to give up bisoprolol, would it be a good idea to cut my 1.25s in half or just stop?

Another precaution is the statins.  On 40mg a day of Atorvastatin despite having very low cholesterol.

Oh well.  could ramble on for ever but will stop here.  Good luck to you both. 

• Posted

Hi Alexandra and Josephine,

I am not a doctor and therefore not qualified to say what medicines should be taken for what condition. All I would say, is that I stopped Bisoprolol instantly, without consultation because my q.o.l. had reached an intolerable low. I couldn't sleep (at all!), was fatigued and spaced-out all day, got strange looks from GPs when I eventually began to question what was happening to me...

After stopping Bisoprolol, the chronic insomnia persisted for more than a year.

Furthermore, I stopped taking statins when my then GP began insisting I take 40mg per day, instead of the 10mg I'd been happily taking, believing it a 'wonder drug'. I refused a drug offered to replace Bisoprolol when told it would 'in all likelyhood' swell my ankles, amongst other things.

Another drug, Digi-something, increased the frequency of AF episodes, especially, and frighteningly, during exercise.

I stopped taking that after a week.

After my ablation, I took Fleicanide as a pill-in-pocket remedy against attacks of AF, eventually abandoning the drug when no more attacks occurred and it seemed I was cured.

I am strongly opposed to introducing powerful chemicals into my system, especially if other remedies (exercise, diet, etc.,) might be just as, if not more, beneficial. I am also wary of what is offered...profit is a great corrupter...

At the same time, I'd like to stay alive, take what's good for me.

• Posted

Thanks James.  Interesting.  I saw my consultant today who has agreed I can stop bisoprolol so very much looking forward to not taking it tomorrow morning!
    • Posted

Excellent! You'll know the difference soon enough and I wish you well.

As for me, I'll take what I have to take, if I'm too scared to disregard the medical advice, but will try to ensure I'm the one benefitting from it.

Regrettably, some people are quite unwell and must trust the doctor is principled and caring. (Some ain't)

Best wishes Alexandra, let us know how you get on

• Posted

Thank you Derek for your support and encourgement.

In answer to your question, I asked the consultant, (in my best Ronnie Kray impersonation), if he would be greatly concerned if I ignored his advice.

He said no.

• Posted

I'm seeing my consultant later today.

When I say that I have now stopped Warfarin (after Statins and Amiodarone) he will again probably ask if I want to have a stroke.

• Posted

Thanks James and best wishes to you too.  Will keep you all posted re life after bisoprolol. 

• Posted

Very funny.  Years ago a builder was doing a few jobs around the house and invited me to a parole party for the Krays.  Fortunately or unfortunately, I was otherwise engaged.

• Posted

The trouble with the medications that cause problems, is that they may be necessary to keep people alive. A second opinion on the condition is a right, and well worthwhile getting.

Diagnosis and/or treatment might differ, might be better than you hoped., 

Ask a lot of questions about treatment and alternatives

Dont continue with medication that makes you feel ill and robs you of well-being

When a doctor is adamant about prescribing a drug that is not good for you, and you suffer intolerable side-effects, be polite but adamant in return that he gives you the best drug available

If your condition is potentially life-threatening, take what you are given until you get an alternative that suits you

Some illnessess are truly debilitating and may not react well to treatments - again, dont just accept things without lots of questions and gentle pressure to ensure you get the best available.

Respect your illness, but dont just lie back and become a receptacle for the national average of 35 pills a day for the over-60s. Ask, ask and ask.

Sorry Derek, I said all that because your right, the doc will most likely put the frighteners on you...

Best wishes..

• Posted

Next time he offers you a medication use your Godfather voice to say that he has made an offer you must refuse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.