Straightening

Posted , 8 users are following.

Helloo to all.. i am 11 weeks in after my knee operation and my knee still hurt and swelling. My leg is not straight. Anybody can advice on which exercise to do that will help.. i have access to gym but not to phicio terepy bcoz not available in my area or nearby..

Thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I'm 8 weeks post surgery and I am still in considerable pain and knee still swollen. I can straighten fairly well but my natural bend when walking is not good yet. I have been to some physio & for straightening was told a) lie on the bed & push down with your knee as far as you can.... hold for 5 secs & repeat 10 times b) roll up a small towel & put it under your knee. Lift your foot as much as you can in line with the knee...hold for 5 secs & repeat 10 times. Do the exercises 2-3 times a day. Hope this helps. Also do a search on this forum for a very knowledgeable man called Chico Marx....he is a fountain of knowledge! Good luck. Kim

• Posted

Hi I had mine done in Feb it’s still bad . Mine was micro fractures and removal of cartilage. It does get easier . Swimming is good and cycling . X 
  • Posted

Oh mercy.  No PT?  What country are you from.?  I can't believe the surgeon did your TKR with no exercise info and especially no PT.  Wow!

• Posted

Martha, its not unusual to find far east and African countries that these amenities aren't run of the mill. Many aren't given much morecthan Tylenol type pain meds and not much of that.

• Posted

This amazes me.  That there would be surgeons qualified to do TKR's in those third world countries>  Truely does....

• Posted

I'm guessing you didn't get good advice from your surgeon as far as type of rehab and length of same

You can go to u tube and find some exercises but you must be careful to stay active but not overdo things. Also, recovery can take months. The good Drs will tell you that it can take a year before you own the knee again. Stay with the exercises and use plenty of ice. Ice will relieve the swelling thus reduce pain. Scroll on this site and look up posts by Chico Marx. Chico give you a tutorial of what to expect and what to do. Be patient and start simply and build the basic core strength of leg hip and back muscles.

• Posted

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

#3.  It's a KILLER!!!  Gravity is all it takes.  When you get bold, try it with 2-pound ankle weights.  Make sure you have a pillow to scream into and have everyone leave the house for a while.

• Posted

I remember that one !! This another that works but it also can cause one to say things you shouldn't.

Get 2 straight back chairs sit in one and put the second in front of you and put your bad leg on it so just your heel is on the chair. This is all about gravity after about 5 plus minutes you will feel it believe me!!

• Posted

One that has worked for me: lay cross ways on the bed, stomach down and leg leg hand at the knee. Start with five reps and hold to count of 5 then increase to 10 each. Rest between each one.

2nd excercise lay on your back with head elevated to a comfort level. Roll a towel and put it under your ankle so its 3 to 4 inches off bed. Now start tightening all the muscles in your leg. Hold for count of 5. Repeat 5 times. Increase this excercise till you are doing it 10 times then repeat times 3. This is by far the best straightening exercise I've ever used as it builds the core muscle strength of entire leg plus straightens the leg. After my 11th surgery and on my 5th complete rehab I came out of surgery at -1 the 1st day and was 0 within a week. 3 years later its still 0

• Posted

That should read let leg hang at the knee.
    • Posted

Some precautions:

1. Have a pillow to scream into.

2. Get everyone else out of the house.

3. Close all doors and windows.

4. Warn the neighbors not to call 911 when they hear shrieking and wailing coming from your house.

It sounds so easy: just let the leg hang there.  Trust me...you will barely last 3 reps of 5 seconds each at first. AND NO CHEATING!!!  Cannot use your muscles to hold the leg...it just has to hang there.  Gravity is a law and the law must be obeyed.

This is the one that got me to zero.  Increase time and reps gradually.  This is NOT an overnight fix but it's damn effective.  When you get brave, attach 2-pound ankle weights.  Goodbye scar tissue.  Hardest exercise ever but so very effective.

• Posted

Lets not forget he was from Brooklyn it might be the reason he left was due to the Mafia connections?? Grabbing a pillow and screaming into it seems like something the Mafia would use on some of their victims??? Just kidding!!! Both exercises you and Chic suggested I remember and yes they do hurt. The one I suggested was the last time I had at home therapy the therapist had me do it and yes its pretty simple but sitting in a chair nice and straight putting your bad leg on the other chair in front of you and just have the heel of your foot on the chair will hurt. I started off at 5 minutes and it was rough. I also remember the one laying face down on the bed with your leg hanging off is another that goes into the man this hurts category!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.