Strange Abdominal Sensation / Whoosh type feeling.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All

Just wondering if someone can give me some advice, or has experienced something similar to this one wierd sensation that I keep getting now and again.

Today, I was sat on the sofa, having a break from my current, ongoing health problems (see discussion 'Whats going on with my digestive system?'), when I got this sudden, out of the blue sensation that can only be described as a pressure type 'whoosh' feeling that starts around the middle to upper abdomen just below my chest, and rises quickly all the way to my head. At the same time I get a feeling that I am going to black out, pass out, collapse and I find it difficult to focus my vision. This all lasts no more than a minute, maybe less, and then I am left feeling 'spaced out' and start to yawn every 15 - 20 seconds or so. At the same time my heart rate seems to be raised to around 90+ bpm (at rest my heart rate is usually 70 bpm), I feel hot to touch but get cold chills and shiver, nausea and light headedness. After about 10 - 15 minutes things settle to experience nausea, tiredness and a slight headache. Then a few hours later, I go back to how I was before the whole episode started, but feel very slightly drunk (I haven't touched alcohol for 10 months now). There are no pains to speak of during these episodes.

My other discussion highlights stomach / digestive issues I've been having for almost a year now, for which I have an appointment with a Gastroenterologist in a months time. These problems consist of bloating, burping, frequent nausea, reoccuring diarrhoea, sharp pains all over abdomen, feeling like my insides have been scratched and torn apart, amongst other things. I have an inability to eat fruit, some vegetables and sugar / confectionary as these make the above symptoms worse. I am currently taking Omeprazole and Colofac (been on these for 10 months), and Amitriptylene (been taking 10mg for last couple of months), to help with my abdominal problems.

I have only experienced this 'whoosh' type sensation 5 - 6 times in my life, but they have all happened since I've been having these health problems, so I think they could be linked, but don't know why they would be happening. There was nothing to indicate that it was going to happen today, for the last few days I've actually been feeling well, which is quite a rare occurrence for me.

If anyone has any info, or advice they could share with me about this, I would be very grateful. I want to know if I should be seeing my GP about this asap, or whether it is likely to be linked to my current abdominal problems. I'm definitely missing out on vitamins, etc due to the lack of varied diet I can eat, and the reoccurring diarrhoea (which is a very frequent experience).

Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Paul

I used to get a feeling like a whoosh I do know whatnot mean and it was my medication that was causing it

Have you had your heart checked out fluttering can cause that feeling also stress or worrying even if you think your not can cause that type of feeling

Maybe talk to your doctor about it

Hope you can get it sorted

• Posted

Hi Kevin

Many thanks for the info, I'll go and see my GP asap, I also have to book a health check, which includes checking the heart, so it'll be getting looked at. I haven't had any fluttering feelings for a long time now. I think the doctor I saw over a year ago concerning this could well have been right with a diagnosis of Acid Reflux. Omeprazole, which can be used for treating Acid Reflux, has helped loads, I get no heartburn, which was frequent and severe, and my bowel movements aren't dark and tarry anymore. Personally, I think I had stomach ulcer(s) at some point during the last year and a bit, possibly caused by taking Naproxen I was prescribed for back pain. I also believe the Naproxen has messed my stomach / digestive system up, the pains I had after a week and a half of taking it were incredibly bad. One doctor said that the amount of physical and mental stress I was under, mixed with the Naproxen was a recipe for disaster. He was only a Locum, when I have approached the practice doctors about this, they will not comment. Makes me wonder why??

I do have quite a bit of worry at the moment. Don't know if you live in the UK, but I lost my job because of the probs I've been having, and was put on Employment and Support Allowance. In the last few weeks I've had a DWP health assessment and been deemed fit for work, so now been put on Jobseekers Allowance. This isn't a problem, I've been a worker all my life and its quite frustrating being home all the time, but my problems are going to be an employers nightmare. I'd say I'm ok to work 30% of the time, and the other 70% I would have called in sick. My symptoms are totally random and I have no idea how I'll be from one day to the next. How can I commit to a job when I'll likely loose it, then loose benefits as I'm sure Jobcentreplus will say its my fault I lost my job. I am going to appeal the decision, but I don't have much hope being successful, but I got to try.

I'm going to stop taking Amitriptylene tonight, it was only 10mg and it doesn't seem to be helping a great deal, I was told that I should increase the amounts gradually, but I'm sick of taking so many pills. The only med I take that I know is helping me is the Omeprazole.

Didn't mean to waffle on, just having a whinge. Cheers again for your comments, I do appreciate them.

• Posted

Paul that what I meant to say it was naproxen I was taking and after a day the whooshing had started I went to see the pharmacist who is brilliant and she said one of the side effects is heart palpitations after I stopped it did almost go away but over the 19 months still grit that whooshing feeling

• Posted

Sorry to hear that taking Naproxen seems to have left you with these whoosh type feelings, I don't like them one bit, so I can sympathise. One thing I think I have noticed with my 'whooshes' are they seem to happen more when I am tired or had a bad nights sleep. My bowels never let me lie in, I'm always up anywhere between 6am - 7am, and have to immediately empty my bowels. Its the only time I go during the day, unless the diarrhoea is that bad, then may go 1 or 2 times extra during the day. I'm also wondering if I am lacking a lot of nutrients as I do think I have a malabsorption issue with the frequent diarrhoea. I have lost 3 1/2 stone in weight since being ill, but my weight has been a steady 10 1/2 stone for months now. Its nice to have lost the weight as I did need to loose a few stone, but wish it was done the right way than through illness.

I wasn't on Naproxen for long, a week and a half in total, and I was in too much pain with it to notice any whooshes at the time, but I'm pretty sure they have only occurred since being on, and taken off Naproxen. I don't recollect any whooshes prior to this.

Thanks for your input Kevin, any advice and comments are appreciated.

• Posted

Hi paul75665

You sound as if you have the symptoms of H. Pylori Helicobacter Pylori. A tiny bacteria that burrows into the stomach lining and duodenum and causes all the symptoms you've describe. The 'whoosh' may be caused by drug interaction. Go to your gp a.s.a.p and ask for H.Pylori test via stool test or breath test...and duscuss the 'whoosh' symptoms also.. ....hope this helps and best wishes for a diagnosis......

• Posted

Hi Lilian

Thank you for your reply.

I had a blood test for H. Pylori when all these problems started, it was one of the first tests done by my GP. This came back negative. Could H. Pylori have appeared since then? Is there a reason why you say stool or breath test for H. Pylori? Are they more accurate than a blood test? Just trying to look at all possibilities.

You also mentioned a drug interaction going on? The doctors have advised me that there should be no interactions between the medications I am taking, and I have been taking all 3 medications for a while now, would interactions happen immediately or is this something that may develop over time?

I'm just looking at all possibilities, and trying to gain some knowledge to take with me to the doctor.

Thanks again for getting back to me.

• Posted

Hi paul75665

H.Pylori is best detected via stool test or breath test....it is rarely found in the blood.

It is a tiny bacteria that burrows into the stomach lining and the intestines(duodenum). It is a clever pathogen because it can burrow anywhere in the stomach and bowel with the help of its spiral shaped flagelum (tail). Athough antibiotics are given to rid the body of HP the AB's are not always successful because as previously mentioned the HP burrow and hide and the AB's can't get to them...so some are left behind....thus multiply.

The reason stool test is used is because the HP get into the bowel via intestines and a breath test can detect a change in the stomach's chemical makeup when HP is present.

Regarding drug interaction the docs are not always right. I was told this by my doc sometime ago and my meds interacted badly...I found out when I went online on a website called 'drug interaction checker'..... they also omit to tell you that the meds can interact with certain foods and vitamins and minerals.......best wishes on your next visit to doc you have a bit of armoury to present her/him with now......check drug interaction site before you go........don't be fobbed off regarding the stool test and breath test for HP...... under the 'Patience Charter'for England and Wales you are entitled to a second opinion!!......let us know how you get on....

• Posted

Sori paul i meant to write 'Patient Charter' not 'Patience' although we do need a 'Patience ' charter the way the NHS is theses days......
    • Posted

Thank you Lilian for your comments, very informative and enlightening. Makes you wonder why they waste time and money doing blood tests for H. Pylori when they are obviously aware that the test isn't conclusive. I will be pressing my GP to get another test done, if it does turn out to be H. Pylori, then I have been suffering for over a year now, scratching my head and worrying about what is happening to me, when this could have been diagnosed and treated months and months ago. Madness!

I'll also check out the drug interaction site you mentioned, I've stopped the Amitriptylene as it wasn't doing a great deal, and I feel no different now to when I was on it, one less medication to take.

You seem like you know you're stuff Lilian, and was wondering if you had a view on something I think I've noticed but can't be sure if it is accurate. I'm pretty sure my symptoms are a lot less prominent when I avoid sugar and sugary foods, eg chocolate, cakes, etc., and also fruit, which contain a lot of natural sugar. Do you think this could be an indicator for something, if my assumption is correct that is? My reoccurring nausea and diarrhoea are quite random, but more often than not I seem to react more when I eat sugary foods. I was employed in a dairy many years ago, in the QA department, and one of my duties was basic microbiological testing. If I remember rightly, bacteria need warmth, moisture and a food source to thrive, but I'm sure that sugar, in whatever form, is a food source particularly liked by bacteria. Could this be a reason why I get worse when I eat sugary foods? I have refrained from eating sugar for last few days, and although some of the symptoms still exist, bloating and burping especially, I don't feel any nausea. Just wondered if you had any knowledge or views on this idea.

Thanks again for your comments and advice, they are really appreciated, and I'm hoping the test for HP comes back positive.

• Posted

Forgot to say that when I eat sugary foods, the react in my stomach isn't instant, it takes a number of hours, if not overnight, for it to start having an impact and the nausea to become worse. Didn't know if it was worth mentioning.
    • Posted

Hi paul75665

Yes there are non-friendly bacteria that live in the gut that thrive in a sugary environment..HPylor thrive on the hydrogen the stomach produces....also acidity....thats why sometimes acid reflux meds cause an acid environment in which HP thrives...you may have two types of bacteria having a great old time in your gut!!....both of which could be causing you the nausea and the acidity and burping etc. If you do have a +ve result for HP and given antibiotics to eradicate it...it will prob get rid of the other bacteria also.......but it could take up to a year for your gut to return to normal...so don't expect results immediately after completing the AB's......put good bactetia back into yr gut i.e. probiotics found in plain greek yogurt mixed with antioxident fruit blue berries and dark grapes or probiotic tabs from health shop..however you don't know if you have HP yet so sooner you have breath test or stool test the better and take it from there....It's an awful thing when your wishing to have HP!! ....I know where your coming from though, at least you can take steps to get it sorted out if it is +ve for HP.......best wishes for a speedy diagnosis...

• Posted

Just an update after seeing my GP.

GP was happy to do a stool test for H Pylori, and supported your info about a blood test being pointless. All the blood test does is look for antibodies that are produced if H Pylori is present, or has been present at some point in the past. Unfortunately, for the test to be done I have to stop taking Omeprazole for 2 weeks, as this drug will give a negative reading. I tried to come off Omeprazole a couple of months ago, at the request of the GP, to see if things had improved. It only took just over a day for the pains and symptoms to become significantly worse, and pretty much unbearable, so there goes that line of investigation! I told my GP that I was to see a Gastroenterologist in a months time, and that I had an Endoscopy in May, he looked through my notes and was surprised to see that H Pylori had not been tested during this examination. He then explained to me that if I can't come off Omeprazole then I would have to wait until I saw the Gastroenterologist, who can test for H Pylori during an Endoscopy, without the need to stop the Omeprazole. Looks like that is my only option for now.

As regards the 'whooshing' feeling I've been getting, the GP started to explain that our brain is able to control most of our functions, like breathing, moving, needing a wee, etc, however, the bowel is totally different in the fact that we are not able to control the bowel due to the complex nerve set up, therefore telling me that the 'whoosh' was a referred symptom / pain from the bowel, or words to that effect. I thought that I was having less problems from my bowel of late, until last night when for no apparent reason, I started to get a pain that can only be described as someone rubbing a cheese grater around my insides. This pain was lower left side of abdomen, below ribs, level with my belly button and lasted for about 3 hours, until it just eased off. Strange! He doubted that it was a drug interaction.

I did try to look at the drug interaction checker, but I couldn't make head nor tail of it, perhaps I wasn't looking at the right website. I also struggled to find Mebeverine on some checker sites too, but the drug could not be found. I've stopped the Amitriptilyene, and have to say that there is no difference in how I feel, and no change in symptoms than when I was taking it, I am now only taking Omeprazole and Mebeverine (Colofac). Could you tell me which drug interaction site you were referring to please Lilian?

There we go, another uneventful trip to the doctors! Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for all the advice to date, you've all been a great help as always!

• Posted

Hi paul75665

Well good and bad news Paul....at least you will be getting checked for HP....the drug interaction checker site is 'drug interaction checker..WebMD'you have to put the first three letters of the drugs in the space indicated .....and it will give you an indication of any adverse interactions.....Mebeverine is a relatively new drug so it may not come up on the checker.....but as Mebeverine and Amitriptyline end in 'ine' there may be a small interaction...I take Sumatriptan for migraine and it interacts with Amitriptyline which I used to take, by way of both drugs releasing serotonin into the blood causing high blood pressure and extreme heat which can be dangerous...if you notice both have 'trip' in the spelling.....and I was not told of their adverse interaction by my gp so I found out the hard way........best wishes Paul..hope you get a diagnosis soon..

• Posted

Thank you Lilian, really informative stuff. So sorry you had an interaction, it sounds like it was a bad one too. I do hope you are well.

Its funny you mention drugs with 'ine' in them, my partner was prescribed 10mg of Amitriptyline to help her sleep, and she is currently taking Venlafaxine. It did help her sleep, but she has been complaining of feeling dizzy, hot and what she descibes as 'foggy', which incidently are the feelings I had been experiencing, as well as the whoosh. We've both stopped taking Amitriptyline and feel a whole lot better. She says she'd rather have sleep trouble than feel the way she was. There seems to be evidence there that we were both having interactions, and both of us were told we 'should' be alright, I don't like the word 'should' when it comes to anything medical.

It is good to know that I will eventually be tested for HP, and the way time flies, it won't feel like long before we're there.

I'll keep my discussion updated with any news as and when it comes. Cheers again Lilian, can't thank you enough for your time, knowledge and advice.

• Posted

Hi paul75665

Happy to help Paul.....hope you got onto the drug interaction site ok.....it is a great help when you are unsure of your meds....glad to hear your girlfriend is fine..... I know how she feels.... better to feel tired rather than feel odd!! Look forward to hearing how your endoscopy pans out.....best wishes for a favourable result......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.