Strange BPH therapy idea

Posted , 11 users are following.

So I’m one, by nature, that likes to challenge (in a positive way) a standard mindset to make people (to use an old cliché) think outside the box. I look at how a product or procedure is being used and look for other ways that product/procedure might be used. I think it’s a “guy thing” and I’m sure there are a lot of guys on here that can claim the same personality trait. And to be honest...the majority of the time it doesn’t pan out. Lol

Sorry for the long introduction.

So I took my dog to the Emergency Animal Clinic January 9th because she had lost complete use of her right front and back leg (the left side seemed fine). It was as if she had a stroke. As it turned out (near as they could tell, she had a ruptured disk in her neck. They gave us pain and anti inflammatory pills and told us (for approximately $5,000+) with X-rays, surgery, and rehab she had a pretty good chance of recovery. The other options were to put her down or try “Laser Therapy” for $850.00).

We started her on the pills and then scheduled an appointment with her regular vet. He agreed with their prognosis and also suggested trying the laser treatment, which they do @ $250 for 6 treatments. I’m generally a skeptic but he said they have actually had very good results and believe it accelerates the healing process. He even told me he takes it home and his son uses it for some pain issues. He said it sounds like snake oil but it really does seem to help.

From what I have researched, this “Laser Therapy” is used to “Reduce Pain, Reduce Inflammation, and Speed Healing”

Here are some quotes...

“Uses a beam of laser light to deeply penetrate tissue without damaging it”.

“Laser energy induces a biological response in the cells called “photobiomodulation” which leads to reduce pain, reduced inflammation, and increased healing speed.

It is used for wounds, allergies, infections, cuts/bites, inflammation, tooth extraction pain relief, sprains & fractures, degenerative joint disease, inflammatory bowel disease (that doesn’t sound fun), Paradont told disease, geriatric care, hip dysplasia, tendinitis, arthritis…

I’m sure you all know where I’m going with this...

Just wondering if this couldn’t be used to help men with BPH. I’ve never heard of it being done. Perhaps it has been tried with no positive results or there’s not enough money to be made or too hard to Implement or the laser is not strong enough to reach the prostate.

Any thoughts?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Laser is only temporary and not permanent. I had it on my eyes for glaucoma and for BPH via green light.

• Posted

Would like to chime in here with a veterinary public service announcement for pet owners. Can't speak to your laser treatment idea for BPH. But I can offer perspective for pet "emergencies" ownership -- as someone who was mentored by an old school veterinarian who ALMOST squeezed me into vet school at Cornell. Here it is:

Modern veterinary medicine (the "emergency room" phenomenon especially) has become a cash cow thriving on the emotions of pet owners. I have owned dogs all my life, and my mentor's voice from many years ago is always there for me, saying: "Calm down. Give this a thing a day or three to shake out. No "emergency" here to cost you a small fortune. Keep the dog quiet and comfortable for 24 hours and go from there."

That -- and the always reliable boiled hamburger and rice therapy for digestive "emergencies".

It is advice that has never failed me over many dogs on life's road. i.e. Short of major blood loss or concussion trauma, try to relax and wait a day. At least until the regular vet is back open during regular business hours. You'll save a bundle and your animal will likely be none the worse.

• Posted

You are so right owen. I have a friend who's dog had the poops for a day. He rushed the dog to the ER crazy stuff. A tremendous amount of money to be told he's got diarrhea.

• Posted

Along those lines in the extreme: My niece's vet "allowed" her to spend $30,000 on chemo treatments for her 10-year old Rottweiller. The dog was gone less than a year later. It is unconscionable that a veterinarian would take that money while suggesting such therapy. The ethical vet knows when it's time for "the talk." Nowadays, though, it seems more about maxing profit.

• Posted

Owen, did the rottie by any chance have ostiosarcoma? We had a dog with lymphoma, the vet was honest enough to tell us that $5K chemo treatment may buy him a few months.

• Posted

I do not recall the specific cancer. It was perhaps ten years ago. I do recall having to stifle the urge to counsel my niece against a procedure that -- for her dog's advanced age -- would buy relatively minimal time while putting the dog through the misery and discomfort of chemotherapy. All at a $$$ cost that would impact her finances for the rest of her life.

Yes, we love our dogs. But it's important to love them so much that WE define what they cannot -- the precise time to say good-bye.

• Posted

So based on some of the comments here, I’m thinking (even if the laser could reach the prostate) the laser therapy would not be a good idea.

If BPH is the reproduction of cells and the PAE procedure to reduce prostate growth is by restricting blood flow, then laser therapy (which is to increase blood flow) is most likely the opposite of what you would want to do.

The only way l could see laser therapy to possibly be helpful is if there were studies that showed increased blood flow was also an effective way to reduced prostate size.

So, even if it could be used to reduce inflammation/Prostatitis, I’m starting to think it would not be a good procedure if it promoted blood flow and increased the risk of stimulating cell growth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.