Strange Fluoxetine side effects

Posted , 182 users are following.

Hi everyone.

Started to take Fluoxetine just over 2 weeks ago after being prescribed them for depression and anxiety. I'm hoping it will get better with time, but at the moment I'm feeling so tired constantly, and like I've lost all my motivation. I'm also feeling quite self conscious around people, and my anxiety has increased a little. If anyone's had a similar experience, how long was it until you started to feel better? I'm not planning on stopping the medication as I've heard it does take time, but can't help wondering how long I have to endure these exacerbated feelings :?

12 likes, 415 replies

415 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just to give an update re me attempting to taper off Prozac (fluoxetine). I couldn't sad I ended up going into a surreal emotions and a very dark place. Hate the fact that I need them to function, but happy that there is a least something out there that does help and work.

Have a great day people! smile

• Posted

Hi everyone, I have just been to my doctor today to get some ideas about medication. i am at the lowest point that I've ever been in in my life. I've been dealing with it for 5 months now and I thought I could handle it but I'm desperate. Anyway, my doctor suggested fluoxetine and suggested I look on this site for more info. I haven't started it yet but I really am desperate.

Only think is I'm really afraid to get any worse than I already am. I cant imagine feeling worse and I'm scared of what might happen if I do. I don't want to be on medication long term if I can avoid it and it sounds like you get worse before you get better, and then worse again as you're coming off it?

Has anyone had good experiences on this fluoxetine/limited side effects? Everyone on here seems really lovely and caring. I feel like I'm in a place where people might get how I've been feeling. It's hard to explain how low I've been.

• Posted

I have taken Prozac several different times when I have had bouts of depression and I can honestly say it works great for me. I think the key with any Medicine is to maintain a healthy balanced diet and get some exercise everyday. Being depressed is not an excuse to be a shut in. The meds help, but you have to help yourself too. Best wishes!!
    • Posted

Hi Newuser. I've been on fluoxetine for 12 years - for mild depression and huge irritability! I remember feeling very jittery and out of myself for a couple of days but then it settled. Now I wouldn't dare taper them off - I think they are just part of me. Keep in close contact with your doctor as soon as you start and with the lovely people on the forum, someone will always be experiencing the same. Good luck

• Posted

I'm so silly I didn't notice this was a year ago! How are you?

• Posted

Hello newuser.

Hey ! hold on in there. It will get better, you just gotta be patient. There is no alternative to being patient whatever medication you're prescribed . I used deep slow breathing to get me through the worst. The Fluoxetine will work but it takes time. I've been on it for about 6 weeks now and the only side effect is the tiredness, sleeping all the time, but is getting better slowly. The anxiety and depression began to reduce quite quickly. It is impossible to say how long things will take for you as everyone reacts differently, but it'll be a whole lot faster than not taking anything at all. But don't give up if it seems to be taking too long, just hang on in there and you'll feel the benefit soon. Try some relaxation/deep breathing exercises in the meantime. Fresh air and daylight work wonders too if you can make yourself get out for a stretch of the legs for a while each day.

Don't be too proud about taking tablets, they're there to help you. Fluoxetine is a long term commitment - I was told an absolute minimum of 6 months. And also a warning - do not attempt to stop them abruptly or you really will be worse off than you started out. They must be tailored off slowly over a long operiod of time.

I know only too well how low and desperate you feel, but you will come through. Largely your recovery is in your own hands as long as you're given the right tools with which to get through you will do it. Just believe this will not last forever. Set aside time everyday to work at it, deep breathing, a walk, relaxation etc. Write a post here whenever you need, I'm usually around. Chin up.V. x

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. People on here really seem to care about each other even though you don't know each other. It means a lot to get your response and to feel like you know what I'm going through.

Have you ever tried anything other than fluoxetine that might be worth asking my doctor about?

• Posted

Hiya..

I agree with everything noelsidunc said, stick with it. The first few weeks were a challenge, months even. But ultimately for me, the medication did it's thing and along with a few positive life changes, I've never looked back. If you're really not feeling right however, it's always wise to talk it through with your GP. There are alternative SSRI's that may be more suited to you. 'Citalopram' is an example. But don't lose hope, as you can read here a lot more people have shared these feelings too, so you're not alone.

I feel no shame in taking a medication that has helped me. Unfortunately there's a stigma attached to taking anti-depressants, also I think the hardest part for me was getting to that GP surgery and admitting to myself I needed the support, but chances are if you're reading the posts on this site, you've made it this far!

There's other things to consider that are also beneficial when you're feeling low. Exercise had a big impact on my moods. I also bought a S.A.D. lamp for the dark winter months which really made a difference.

'CBT' courses are great for anxiety and depression, which usually your GP can arrange for you to attend.

Be proud you've made it this far, and you're doing something to help yourself.

Take care, and look forward to your future biggrin ..G..

• Posted

Gaz,

Your post string really helped me. I am on my second week and the anxiety is quite overwhelming at times. Exercising no matter how I feel is tough but it gets me out of the house after work. I am not looking toward to the next few weeks of anxiety, but the positive results at the end will be worth the journey. Thank you for sharing your experience and for coming back to share....

N

• Posted

Hi Numa

You are most welcome. Thank you for your message. I'm glad just by sharing my experience, yourself and others may take some comfort in knowing you're not alone!

I completely relate to how you're feeling, but as I said in the last post, be proud you're now helping yourself smile

Getting yourself out the house and exercising sounds great as well. It should really help you feel more positive.

Take care, and good luck smile Feel free to post with updates any time.

G

• Posted

Thank you Gaz. I will take that advise and keep walking through the swamp until I get to higher ground. It is strange how one finds comfort in finding that others feel as you do. I would not wish this feeling on anyone. I guess it is the promise that others have forged through this same rough road and came out the other side. Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences as it truly helps those who are wondering in the unknown.

Numa

• Posted

Morning all,

Today is my frist day using Fluoxetine, i have never wanted to take tablets and have relied heavily on drink in the past, luckily I have been able to stop drinking instantly but my GP has decided that this tablet will help me.

I took mine this morning at 7:45 and for the first hour I felt like I had really bad heart burn and couldnt drink my tea in the morning! Is this normal?!

Also, I am on the 20mg every day but would you advise taking the tablet in the morning or in the evening? Is there any thing else i need to be aware of? Are there side effects with alcohol or anything like that? coming up to Christmas I dont want to have a glass of champagne and that cause huge issues.

Thankfully I found this site this morning as I already feel better knowing that so many other people know what I am going through. Keep strong all.

Adam x

• Posted

Hi Adam

I found morning was best for taking Flu. It will take a while for your system to get used to these drugs. I didn't have the side effect you mention but had plenty of others in the early stages.

Its best not to mix Flu and alcohol for the 1st couple of months. After that i could have both (at different times) and now no problems at all but i have been on the drug for 5 and a half years.

Good for you taking that 1st step to recovery. I'm at the opposite end of the scale as i'm now coming off Flu.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hello everyone,

I am currently on day 9 of 20mg per day Fluoxetine after finally biting the bullet and deciding to try them. Nothing ventured nothing gained I say. Weirdly, I felt the positive effects on day one and was totally buzzing for the first few days. This has now subsided and the past two days i've felt extremely low - although conversely, i have noticed i'm not thinking as negatively. Sleep has been a bit of a problem but I have found that over the counter sleep remedies have helped a bit and i've definitely noticed a drop in appetite. I am determined to persevere with taking them in the hope that things will improve. From what my GP has said, day 9 is still early days and hopefully things will improve over the next few weeks.

Good luck everyone.

• Posted

Hi

So glad there's a discussion on these tabs

I'm on day 4

I'm so tired no motivation

It looks like I've got a long way to go

As a busy mum I feel like these tabs arnt right for me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.