Strange head pains and tingling... Anxiety?

Posted , 106 users are following.

Hi everyone, I need a bit of advice. I've been suffering the last few months with health anxiety. Doctors have done all the routine blood tests and have said I'm okay and all my symptoms are anxiety related. I'm waiting for CBT but on a long waiting list and am on no medication whatsoever as I'm trying to avoid it.  I'm now able to identify with a lot of my symptoms and deal with them, some days are good and some are pretty awful but I'm getting through it.

Last night however I had something new and it sent me into a panic again.  A few weeks ago I was getting some sharp pains in my head, on the crown area and slightly to the left. Sort of dull aches and then the odd shooting pain.  Anyway, putting it down to just another symptom of anxiety I've tried to ignore it. But as I laid in bed last night I started to get this tingly sensation, not painful but really noticeable and in the exact same position I sometimes get these head pains and it then spread across my head and my face. Then my head started to ache in that same spot. This morning I've woken up and it's still there. My brain likes to tell me that it's a brain tumour as it feels in such a specific part of my head but I'm really hoping it's just another normal symptom. Has anyone else had this? It just feels very unnerving! 

The annoying thing I can't seem to process is that I'm 34 years old, have never suffered from anxiety and then one day I changed for no apparent/obvious reason and I can't seem to get back to my normal self.  It just fuels the worry that there is something really wrong with me. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Lisa

10 likes, 145 replies

145 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oops it did not allow me to link another website. There are ones out there that list symptoms of anxiety, from weakness, tingles, sickness, vertigo, heart rate, body temp, etc. I have many times convinced myself that something horrible was just undetected and I was sure to die at any moment. It so hard to calm yourself down. I am on amitriplene but due to weight gain, want to try something else. I had months where I felt like a stranger in my own body and it affects your life a lot. You also start to be hyper aware of every single weird feeling and pain, its horrible.

I dont have anything stressful happening in my life but I have done alot of research on panic disorders and it is starting to make more sense.

Let me know if you find something that works for you,

• Posted

Hi Sara I feel like you did you get any medication to help advice would be appreciated I am 54 years old and would like to get some normality in my life instead being scared all the time about my health xx
  • Posted

You definetly have health anxiety. You are not alone. It is exhausting to live in the viscious cycle of it all. One doc. Told me cant do cbt unless the edge is off and i had to leave his office. I thiught thats what cbt was suppose to teach me. Itunes has a cbt book i downloaded the audio. Many podcast and books cinstantly say breathing techniques are so important. When you do them you have only and solely focus on being calm and ignire any thiughts that pop in your mind. Literally be in that exact moment. Im trying very hard to master this or actually do it. All of us with oanic sre overthinkers in a negative way and we self talk ourselves into a bad olace. Our bodies throw themselves inti fight ir flight and the panic sets in, inhave been woken by this which is so unfair cause im guessing its in my subcinscious already, that makes me angry at myself. All you can do is literally live in the moment so you can get through the days and hope slowlt that yiu retrain your brain not to be so negative and live in the future. Very very hard and i wish you and everyone on here the stregnth and suuccess in retraining how you think. I wish so hard that i can just wake up and be all normal and freed from this anxiety. I dont know if people who dont have it can understand as hard as it is on them its ten times harder on us!
    • Posted

Thanks Lisa. What I can't get my head around is that every time I have a handle on it and start to regain my confidence something else happens for no specific reason, like this weird tingling and head pain and then ensues the panic and I'm right back to square one again. If i could just understand what is happening I'm sure I could deal with it better, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason and that just fuels it more as I convince myself there is something wrong. 

I'm seeing a counsellor tonight who although won't be able to help me medically may be able to help me process the fear a little better. Good luck to you too x

• Posted

I'm having trouble understanding your text, do you read your notes before posting?
    • Posted

I have the same problem and it's drives me insane ... I get burning feeling and everything I can't anymore . I've tried Zoloft , Lexapro and none of it worked it made me 100 times worse .. anyone have suggestions

• Posted

hi Lisa

How did you get the tingly feeling's to go away

Thank you. Mary 

• Posted

So went to the doctors, he told me I had neuralgia. Apparently he thinks the anxiety has triggered it so has put me on a very low dose of pregamalin. But then yesterday I had tingling all through my body and my right arm feels numb this morning. I kept waking up with pins and needles in small areas of my legs during the night and I ended up last night being on the 111 helpline (they put it down to the anxiety), but of course now I'm thinking it's MS. If I touch my skin it's very sensitive, it's like all my nerves are super sensitive. God I feel like I'm going mad sad
    • Posted

So reading this makes me feel a whole heap better!

7 months ago I gave birth to my 4th baby, and since then I have not felt right at all. I had a c-section so naturally I had the recovery period from that, then I had an infection in my wound, then I had rhinitis, then the dr said sinusitis, and to accompany it all I've had this weird headache now for 6 months now. It's everyday without fail, sometimes it a pain, other times it's more of a sensation, like a fizzy feeling, I guess tingly.

I've also had a bout of vertigo and dizziness but that seems to have passed. I can't describe how I feel on a daily basis but I'm sick of not feeling myself. I've had this health anxiety since he was born. Like others on this thread I too have put a lot of the symptoms down to the anxiety and being post natal but can't help but think it's something much worse like a tumour or MS.

The dr has said it sounds like nuralgia and has suggested some anti depressants to help the headaches and my mood, but because I am still BF my son don't know what I safe for me to take. I have started to wean him

So that I can start some form

Of medication just because I can't cope feeling like this anymore. I have a strange pain in my nose and check that pops up randomly and my scalp feels irritable, and get the occasionally sharp stabbing pains in my head which are random.

I've put a lot of it down to losing my eldest child two years ago, I was pregnant with my third when she passed away, so I do understand that I mentally and physically have been through a lot in such a short space of time but I've never have anxiety before this.

I've had counselling for the loss of my daughter but I didn't feel that helped me.

I just want to enjoy life and enjoy my children without the feeling of impending doom or that one of us is going to get sick ??

• Posted

I had this exact same thing! I had a baby 3 months ago then one day randomly woke up with head pressure that turned into tingling in my head and the back of my neck and my forehead I feel like I'm stuck in a fog ! My ears feel full and like I'm imbalanced ! I have good days and I have bad days ! Have you gotten any better please tell me I'm not stuck like this

• Posted

Are you any better ?

Only when I lay down that my body starts to vibrate, and I wake up in a fog state of mind.

Have you been diagnosed

• Posted

I totally understand!!! I had a sudden change as well, one day I woke up with a "mental FOG." I can't think clearly, I have trouble recalling things, and feel completely useless. I had these symptoms a few years ago but it went away on it's own. I saw doctors, had an MRI and nothing. But during that period, I had a lot of stress. My mental health became better when I found healthy ways to deal with the stress, I was clear, and felt like me. Now it back but with an added symptom of the tingling in the head as described by so many others on this post. Again my stress is a 9 out of 10 and I going through a bad divorce. I just think my body is reacting to the stress of being a single parent and the divorce. I do feel better reading these posts as Obfeel like I too am going crazy.

• Posted

I have headaches that make my forehead all tingly I suffer from panic attacks, it all started with a pain at back of my head at left hand side been to doctors numerous time say it's migrane. The pain at back has disappeared meantime I got put on propranolol can this tingling be the effects of this beta blocker I'm a real worrier and always think its serious doctors not really much help anyone help plz

• Posted

Hi Mothermoose, 

How are you doing now? I read your post and feel the exact same right now! I got anxiety around fall of 2016 and had bad head symptoms so I go a ct and MRI and all was good and I was able to calm down some and try natural remedies. However fast forward and I have a 3 month old baby now. Since then I've noticed my anxiety is way worse and being postpartum probably doesn't help. I'm getting head symptoms again. Sharp pains that last for a few seconds to dull aches sometime. Even minutes of dizziness or just feeling not right in the head. I can't stand it and it makes my health anxiety worse being that I lost my mom to brain cancer in 2013. She was my best friend and it was a devastating loss. I just want so bad to get over these symptoms and feel normal again. Just curious what you did! Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.