Strange head pains and tingling... Anxiety?

Posted , 106 users are following.

Hi everyone, I need a bit of advice. I've been suffering the last few months with health anxiety. Doctors have done all the routine blood tests and have said I'm okay and all my symptoms are anxiety related. I'm waiting for CBT but on a long waiting list and am on no medication whatsoever as I'm trying to avoid it.  I'm now able to identify with a lot of my symptoms and deal with them, some days are good and some are pretty awful but I'm getting through it.

Last night however I had something new and it sent me into a panic again.  A few weeks ago I was getting some sharp pains in my head, on the crown area and slightly to the left. Sort of dull aches and then the odd shooting pain.  Anyway, putting it down to just another symptom of anxiety I've tried to ignore it. But as I laid in bed last night I started to get this tingly sensation, not painful but really noticeable and in the exact same position I sometimes get these head pains and it then spread across my head and my face. Then my head started to ache in that same spot. This morning I've woken up and it's still there. My brain likes to tell me that it's a brain tumour as it feels in such a specific part of my head but I'm really hoping it's just another normal symptom. Has anyone else had this? It just feels very unnerving! 

The annoying thing I can't seem to process is that I'm 34 years old, have never suffered from anxiety and then one day I changed for no apparent/obvious reason and I can't seem to get back to my normal self.  It just fuels the worry that there is something really wrong with me. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Lisa

10 likes, 145 replies

145 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I realize this post is a year old but I have been suffering from health anxiety for a long time but it's really been bad lately. For the past two weeks I've been dizzy and my head feels heavy, my neck is tense, my chest is tight, my vision is blurry and I cry all the time. I have one sided tingling, my head and face tingle....the list goes on and on. I've been to doctors a million times and they say nothing is wrong. It's anxiety. I still can't believe that anxiety cause all this but apparently it does. I am so thankful that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I feel like I'm losing my mind

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear you are suffering sad Sometimes anxiety manifests itself in different ways in our body, and from personal experience we often become very sensitive to every little sensation/change/pain/twitch and tingle! which often makes us a little more worried! I have found a lot of these symptoms appear when we shallow breath (which we often do without realising when we are stressed or anxious) - (headaches/tingling/neck and shoulder tightness/dizziness...) taking some long slow breaths can do wonders. Closing your eyes to shut ut distractions and other stimultion will also help collect yourself. focus on listing to your breath and counting. breathing through your nose and making a conscious effort to make your tummy rise with a breath in and fall with a breath out. You can google heaps about breathing works/mindfulness/anxiety. It seems too simple I know but it really does work. Hope you feel bettr soon x 

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Iv'e had very very similar symtoms to you which came on overnight for no reason at all. Pain in the left temple, tingling sensations around the back and front of my head and face. That was just over 7 months ago. Since then I have had Blood tests, Brain Scan, Dental X rays, Eye Tests - all clear, oh and seen an Osteopath. I have also spent time on anti biotics, Carbogen (for suspected Neuralgia) and Amitriptiline (for potential Nerve Pain) which none had hardly any effect at all. I still have the pain now and it is driving me crazy. I keep hoping that it will go as quickly as it arrived. Some days are better than others but I really wondered if you were any better as this post seems to be a little old now ? I think my next step is to go back to the GP and get referred to a Neurologist but any advice would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Dean.

• Posted

Anyone here that can wiegh in would be great. I have had boughts with headaches since I was a kid. I headaches as a child seem to actually be worse than they are today or else I've managed to get through and be able to deal with the pain a little better, now 4? Old.

As a child headaches would be similar to those described as migraine so I went to a neurologist and he diagnosed as cluster headaches. One observation he did make was that my brain set tilted back in my skull just slightly but there was no need to worry.

Anyway most recently I have had diagnoses of basically an anxiety disorder. I have been prescribed Zoloft which seems to have helped significantly.

Last night however I woke in the middle of the night very hot I began to panic as I felt just a slight pressure in my left chest which of course adds to your anxiety. Throughout my upper trunk I felt a tingling sensation. To me my skin appeared red.

As in previous type episodes I send my last goodbye messages and hope I'm able to hit those most precious loved ones before the inevitable.

Sorry for the long story here but what I'm looking for are other persons who may have had similar experience with what may be an initial warning of severe headache. The headaches I can deal with generally however waking up to being extremely hot and what is 69° temperature having this tingling sensation throughout the upper trunk of my body together with the anxiousness Is just scary.

• Posted

Go get yourself checked by a nuerogolist.

My youngest son was diagnosed with hydrophalaus at 18. His symptoms were headaches. Please go get checked asap

• Posted

Stumbled upon this because I have this tingly feeling too and it started right after me coming off anxiety medication. I am 18 years old and only took it for a week to help with exams, it was such a weak/ small dose it probably didn't do much to me but after coming off it, I started getting really anxious when I noticed any little thing, like a pain in my arm or a headache. It's been 3 days and this tingly feeling is almost constant, I near enough cried yesterday thinking I have cancer. Cancer seems to be one of my bigest fears lately because thourought my life I've always convinced myself I have some disease or disorder. It used to be heart attacks until after goin A&E several times and being reassured countless times (I've had an ECG done three times) I finally got over that fear and now brain tumours and cancer related fears have taken its place. I will be going to see my doctor soon so hopefully it is only anxiety related and rationally thinking I already know it will be but having had anxiety really bad and from such a young age, it's surprising how many "symptoms" can be related to it. And I'm a healthy, young individual who excericses and eats pretty well but because of this comstant fear of dropping dead at any given moment I've been living my life curled up in bed googling worst case scenarios most of the time and I guess all I have to say is anxiety freaking sucks ://

• Posted

LISA!!!! Oh my gosh. You just described me 10000000%!!!!!! I went to a doctor with this after YEARS of being terrified of them telling me I have a brain tumor and she told me it was anxiety. She told me I had no "red flags" of a brain tumor and gave me a recommendation to a counselor !!! I still have these sensations a lot and now I have head/ear pressuresad I know EXACTLY how you feel and I'm sooo sorry you're going through this!!! We WILL get through this TOGETHER!!!! ??????

• Posted

This isn't a very reassuring thread; I too have headaches intermittent and tingling on the left side femoral area. Tenderness there and the bottom of my neck too. A very very worrying time but 4 visits to a GP and an eye test with absolutely no worry at all is reassuring me.

• Posted

Sorry, of course I meant it is a reassuring thread. Typo. 
  • Posted

It sounds like I have mush of the same symptoms.  Mine started about two weeks ago when I was driving.  I thought I was having a storke and had my daughter rush me to the ER.  They did basic blook work and sent me home on benadryl.  I was ok for a couple days.  I was trying to TN from FL and made it 6 hours without a problem and then it came on suddenly again.  I had to pull over and get a hotel.  The next day I made it 2 hours before my daughter had to take me to the hospital.  4 trips to 3 different hospitals and all I got was Ativan or Benadyl.  They don't have an answer for me.  I have never had any issues like this and now they won't go away.  I am afraid to go to sleep as I feel like I will not wake up.  I cannot drive to work witch is 30 minutes away.  I get chest pains, pain in the back of my head, tingling down the arms and overwhleming anxiety when this happens.  Does anyone have any thoughts?  I have seen and ENT and he says everything is fine.  I am set for a sinius CT, Stress test and Neurologist appoint.  I need to get my life back.

• Posted

I don't understand wh. U r not on anxiety meds

Hugs

Mary

• Posted

Because the anxiety is secondary.  I have been able to manage that with the B13 and I do believe I may have a problem with the stereo mastoid muscle.  It may be pinched or something.  When I research that muscle it can affect all the areas that I am having issues with.  Anyone else with these issues should look that up.
  • Posted

I’m really speechless , I don’t know what to say . I understand you perfectly . I am going throw the same thing  sad , I don’t know what to do anymore I really feel the same way s you and as in writing you right now I am having those feelings right now , I can’t stop , it can’t stop . Everyday I have to be scared of dying sad , I am tired of these . I miss being normal , feeling normal I miss that :,( 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.