Strange head sensations....

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello ladies!!

Been wanting to ask about a strange symptom I have at times. As I do have anxiety as well, wasn't sure where to post this lol.

Every once in a while I have this strange head sensation, kind of like vertigo, off balance issue, but different... hard to describe. It's more like a "woosh" feeling like a strong wind pushing my head for a second ,feels like a sort of jerk but not sure if my head is really jerking or it's just a feeling... it's very strange! I have noticed that it happens mid cycle as well as right before my period most of the times ... but it doesn't happen always.

I am on Effexor as well for anxiety and thought maybe it could be the med too. Idk.. it's just a weird strange feeling that makes me sometimes grasp hold of something .

Have any of you ever experienced anything like that?? It sets off my anxiety every time!!!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ginger...i had about 3 episodes over a year of a similar feeling...like a jolt...i had to hold the bench for about 10seconds then it went. It would scare me...doctors had no idea. Havent had one for about a year now but I still get times (like last night) where i am standing doing something and then it feels like someone sort of pushes my head to the side. I am not a fainter but it feels like a vertigo type of thing. I am thinking it must be peri related again as doctors have no idea.
    • Posted

That's exactly what it's like!!! I was afraid to even ask about it as my docs had no definitive reason either . Thank you .

• Posted

It is pretty scary...i have read that our oestrogen goes up and down erratically during peri...and it affects our adrenals too. Am wondering if it was some sort of adrenal surge. It was like a jolt but no palpitations or anything...just this feeling like I was about to collapse. Really scary. One doctor I mentioned it to said it sounded neurological. But I haven't had another one since thank goodness. I do get the dizzy vertigo thing though. I had it twice yesterday but it was 27 degrees here in qld so was hot and stressed...probably didnt help smile

• Posted

Must be! Makes some sense about the estrogen and adrenaline thing ..... it annoys me at times that doctors dismiss most of what we complain about during peri. You would think they'd have more insight about how to treat women since so many have these symptoms , I mean it is 2016!! wink ughhhh

That feeling coupled with my anxiety from it, can make me feel crazy or think something is terribly wrong ... whether it be from hormones or neurological 😔

Guess I just have to remember that others have felt this way and we are still here to talk about it lol

• Posted

I am hearing you! I get weird things happen and it gives me anxiety. When I ache i think maybe its cancer...when my ribs or chest ache and I get indigestion i think its heart related. I used to feel good 90% of the time but now I feel crappy one way or another 90% of the time. And no one else I know is going through it...so I wonder where all the menopausal women are here on the gold coast...I can't be the only one thinking I am going crazy and just going through the motions...wish women had a bracelet or something we could wear to raise awareness....and let other women recognise a kindred spirit...you could say Hi...hows your meno going...are you ok?

Lol...now I am rambling smile

• Posted

Hi Ginger, yes, this is a very common symptom of perimenopause, one of almost 80 symptoms of the list. Just take it easy, and lay or sit down so you don't fall over!

• Posted

Thank you!! So I'm learning that anything goes with this peri crap!!! That one probably has been the scariest so far ???

• Posted

Were you doing anything when it happened? I was at the gym thought I was going to do some exercises but apparently that strange head jolt feeling had me laying on the floor mat until it passed. Another time I got it while on the treadmill, I could barely walk after it happened, not sure how I made it out but luckily I wasn't driving. It took about 4-6 months for it to pass. Hopefully, it won't last long.

• Posted

Hi Ginger,

I get strange head sensations too. It's kind of like a prickly pressure feeling and then I feel a bit out of sorts/lightheaded. I describe it as feeling like the earth kind of shifted in that moment putting my head out of focus and my body off balance. It only lasts a few seconds at a time but I can have it several times in a day and then go for a long while without it happening. That's what makes me think it's hormonal.

I also get a pressure feeling and kind of a headache behind my eyes and down the back of my head...and a kind of spaced out feeling. This I am pretty sure is hormonal.

This menopause journey sure is a bumpy one!

• Posted

I get that also..It scares me everytime. You never know when it will hit..it comes fast and leaves fast but it makes me so scared..ugh..Your not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.