strange panic attack or something else?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi my name is Allison and I'm 31 I've had panic attacks since I was 15 my normal symptoms during panic attacks are fast heart , short of breath , thinking I will pass out or die , dizzy and shaking .About a month ago out of the blue I started to get a weird feeling in my stomach like a hit of adrenaline my upper arms would get hot then a feeling of intense fear and doom would hit these intense feelings will last for about 40 seconds then die of for about 1 minute then the feelings of fear and doom will hit again last for 40 seconds then go for a minute this will go on for hours non stop while I'm experiencing theses feelings of fear and doom it feels like I am going to lose complete control or go totally insane sometimes during these attacks I also feel a intense feeling of agitation or anger the whole time this goes on my body has no physical symptoms of anxiety my hearts 70 beats ect a minute and blood pressure is normal after about half an hour of these very scary feelings I do start to feel a bit heavy in my breathing and my hands start to tremble which is a normal reaction considering the feelings of rage , fear , insanity and doom . My doctor says thus is a panic attack but I can't accept this as its bizzare compared to the panic attacks ice experienced since I was 15 . Does any one no what's going on with me I'm terrified cause when these attacks start I can't calm down no matter what and after its over I don't feel right its like I am not myself I can't connect to my life I feel like I'm going nuts . Please help if you no what's happening to me I'm so scared .

3 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow I'm sorry you are going through such a rough time I have them it does get bad at times but I am able to talk myself down along with deep breaths they can be horrible mine has gotten worse since menopause hope it gets better for you
    • Posted

Hi Monique thanks for your reply , does this seem like a panic attack it doesn't feel like a normal panic attack this is something I'm finding hard to get over cause of the intense feelings with any physical feelings
    • Posted

Yes it does I tell you I feel this I always get panic attacks when the anxiety gets the best of me my body tense up my shoulders give me the business and when WHEN they subside I feel as if I have the flu I'm wore out I could sleep for days after I pray it gets better for you
  • Posted

panic attacks seem different and scary each time huh? i think thats why they keep us panicking and scared sad we have to tell our brain no more! u will not scare me! u are only feelings and thoughts its hard but thats what im doing
  • Posted

also your mind is trying to protect you which explains why u feel off
    • Posted

Thanks antsy for your reply these feelings are super intense i kind of wish for my old panic attacks. I've got appointment with a new doctor and hopefully get some help my old doctor wasn't that helpful
    • Posted

yeah i know how u feel i feel antsy rn trying not to bring on panic ;( its hard i hope we both get better soon❤
  • Posted

Hey allison! I can promise you that you are experiencing panic. I have been dealing with panic attacks and anxiety since I was 16 years old. I am not 27 and am still learning that anxiety and panic can change. It is a sneaky evil thing. But I promise that you ARE NOT GOING MAD. It will pass. The scary "terror" feelings are all a part of the panic. You will be fine smile
    • Posted

Hi alexandra thanks for you message have you experienced these feeling without any physical symptoms and lasting so long this is horrible
    • Posted

The feelings last any were from half an hour to four hours in surges every few minutes its weird
    • Posted

I had exactly the sane type of panic attacks, coming in waves of heat in ny stomach and chest , no other physical symptoms just complete terror, mibe woukd go on all night long and if I did fall a sleep, as soon as I woke up a massive wave woukd hot ne was awful, I was convinced I was going mad. And I tried so hard to deal with it alone. But I git so depressed and felt suicidal. But webt on antidepressants (sertraline) and it did get worse before better. And now im fine , not 100% but 80%. Pls visit ur gp asap. My prayers are with you. Xx
    • Posted

Hi lattifa wow I can't believe someone else had what I'm going though its scary because I can't relate to other people because they get physical symptoms like a normal panic attack . Did you also start to feel very weird after the attacks what I mean is I feel like I've changed like I'm not me anymore and everything seems very unfamiliar to me this feeling stays with me all day on top of the attacks of intense fear I really feel like I've lost who I am and I'm so terrified I will stay like this the weird thing is months ago I was normal ad happy I can't get my head around how my life has changed . How long did the medication you were taking start yo help ? And did anything calm you down when you had your panic attacks ? Thank you so much for taking the time to message me i don't feel so abnormal that you had the same feelings .
    • Posted

Hi allison, yes I felt very detached and thats normal apparently lol. Its amazing what stress can to to the mind! This all started for me in September just gone before that I was normal and fine. I cant belive also what has happened to me , im not the same attifa I was 4 months ago, I guess I never will be? But I dont mean that in a negative way more that I will take care of my mental health a lot more. Its the why me affect, but you have to learn to accept it as part of your life or journey in this life. So many people get diagnosed with all sorts cancer, diabetes, m.s. epilepsy ect, and for those people its a shock too , and anxiety / depression is also an illness that takes time to accept . But we can get well and it cant kill us !! Its a battle we have qith our oqn minds. I did so much walking in nature places , parks by the river, ide walk for hours trying to kewp my head up and not lookingbat the grpund while walking. Sqimming was good too, walking around the shops, going to the library , seeing friends I could talk to, haveing hot baths , abd every night ide watch a few episodes of onky fools and horses, the sane ones everyday. Yoir not alone sweet heart and you can get through it . Im on 50 mg sertrsline . Xx
    • Posted

Hi lattifa thanks I have also been walking in nature and it does help and ive been making myself go out with friends which helps a lot . Your right about having to accept our anxiety that's one thing I'm going to work on . Thank you very much for telling me your story its a huge relief to no that I'm not the only one getting these weird panic attacks I really thought I was going mad and worried I would be put in a mental hospital which Is a huge fear of mine . I wish you all the best with your recovery and I'm hopeful I'll get well in time .
    • Posted

Allson it was also my biggest fear that I was going to be pit in a mental home too. I promise you that it will get better woth meds, I also lost a stone in waight due to not eating itcwas sooooo awful, I always used to complain about my waight but now ide rather be a bit fat and happy than the way I was!! I want to help others with thos problem and youvwill fibd so many caring people out there, it has changed my view on life and am more undwratanding of people. Such as peopke who drink a lot the homeless, because this kind of illness is invisabke on the outside and you never jnow what people are going through inside!! Thats what I mean about never being how I was b4 I got this damn awfull anxiwty an depression. More needs tp be said about mental illness and reasearch done in to it. Faith also is a big help I dont know if you belive in god but its a good time to start thinking about it and praying. It is a time to really look into your self nd care about who you are, im guessing your usually a very strong person? This kind of illness happens to people who have been strong for too long. Time to think about what makes you happy.

Keep me updated xxx

• Posted

Thanks lattifa I'll let you no how I go and thanks for taking the time to help much appreciated
    • Posted

Oh yes, thats exactly what I get. When I am asleep I am woken up by heat rising in my arms to my face. No sweating, Just an overwhelming feeling of anxiety. It really did keep me awake for months, to the point of exhaustion. Have recently increased citalopram from 10-20 mg and am experiencing the same thing aftr the increase. How long did it take to settle on your meds Lattifa? 
    • Posted

i hate the detached feeling i feel like im gonna lose myself completely but realizing its just your brain protecting you makes me feel better smile
    • Posted

Hi antsy I've been getting that horrible detached feeling as well its terrible but I keep trying to tell myself its my brain protecting me from more danger and I try to keep busy and do my best to ignore it I no its so hard to ignore something that's so in your face but it will help a bit to keep busy go put and visit a friend or do house work go for a walk or even go to a shopping center and look around that's what I've been doing and its helping I have ocd on top of the panic attacks so I find it super hard to just ignore theses extremely weird symptoms but I try yo push it out of my mind and not let my stupid ocd win I'm so sorry that you have this panic and anxiety its the worst feeling in the world but no that you are not alone and the detached feeling will in time settle down I still have it but I'm noticing that it will go away sometimes during the day so it is getting better because I was having the dreamy nothings real ect all day its hell I no but please hang in there it will go away you and me will not have this forever its just what I silly minds are trying yo tell us but its lies xx
    • Posted

thank you we will both beat this and get better smile anxiety is horrible but i think we are really strong if we are able to deal with it daily you know?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.