Strange side effects possibly linked to amitriptyline use?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi! I've been on amitriptyline for a little while now, I'd say about six months. I've been having some weird side effects. it makes me have very vivid, weird dreams, and causes me to sleep for very long (10+ hours, sometimes up to 15) and keeps me asleep the whole entire time, I never wake up during the night, ever. Lately I've been waking up with weird scratches on my body (mostly my legs), with no recollection of how they got there, and it looks like it's cause by fingernails. I'm wondering if maybe I'm doing this to myself in my sleep, and if so, is this caused by my use of amitriptyline?

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

why you taking amitriptlyine for? and the dose?
    • Posted

Migraines! but ive also had sleeping problems and my doctor said it can treat that as well. and my dosage is 40mg
  • Posted

Hiya...what dosage are you on ? Do you take it only at night ?  I really think that you should let your doctor know what is happening to you. The dose may be wrong for you.
    • Posted

I take 40mg, and yes I only take it at night. these problems only started happening around when I was moved up from 30mg to 40mg, so I suppose that could be my problem.

• Posted

40mg is a very high dose, no wonder you have experienced such side effects. I take half of a 25mg at night and sometimes if the pain is very bad I take an extra quarter...it works well for me. Lower the dose please but check with your doctor first. Explain what has been happening to you.
    • Posted

Actually, her dose could be considered low. I have been taking amitriptyline for migraines for a decade or so and they started me at 25mg, then 50mg, then 75mg which worked for me for many years. I have actually been underweight most of my life and I started this when I was less than 10 years old so it isn't because I have a high body mass or am an older person with more tolerance. In the last two years, my doctor has been working with me to reduce my use and I have been able to move back to 50mg with no side effects but any lower I begin to have migraines again. 

• Posted

Hi Yes this did the same thing to me, I was wasting my life wishing to sleep all the time, plus I had terrible dreams/nightmares that felt almost realistic, they do effect the brain in so many ways & not all of them are good.

A very heavy Drug is Amitryptaline. Good in some ways but, the side effects are terrible. Marvelous for relaxation for pain, sleep depravation , makes you very tired & ( me dopey) I used to scratch as well when I was sleeping &wake up with scratches all over myself, I think it was due to Sweating & pricklly heat.

Jackie

• Posted

Hi I have been on Amitriptyline for a long time and what your describing are some of the side effects though I have never got the scratching one, Amitriptyline does have a sedative effect so you should make sure to take your dose at night only, the vivid dreams are also a side effect it can also cause hallucinations in some people, another side effect is cotton mouth (really dry mouth) which is the one that mostly affected me before my dose was lowered now its not so bad, I just had to make sure to have my drink bottle with me or access to water wherever I went. If your worried head back to your dr and let them know your concerns and they might adjust your dose for you.
    • Posted

Hello Becky I am off Amitryptaline now after being on them for many many years, the Tablets just became to much for me with all the side affects , so ,much I could not take them anymore.

I too had the bad / dry mouth & took a boottle of water to bed with me at night. I was also diagnosed with Kidney disease 4 yrs ago & have now found out that Amitryptaline was the definate cause, This was found out through test I had done. Now my bladder & Kidneys are back to normal, no more Kidney disease as the Tablets were drying my Kidneys up as well through years of use.

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Jackie.

I'm glad to hear your kidneys are back to normal!

Were you diagnosed while on the amitryptaline or after stopping them? If after, how long after?

I refused to take these pills after doing a lot of research on them, but i thoroughly check out all and any pills they try to get me to take because i've had a lot of problems with what the doctors didn't care they gave me so long as they got paid for the prescriptions.

People have to be very careful because what is given, or what we're told to take, are rather dangerous and do more harm than good - as you know. They "treat"one thing and cause so many other problems that they say can be anything because the symptoms are usually similar. By the time they work it out, if they do, it's too late.

I'm sorry you suffered, but it's great to hear you did get the problem rectified.

• Posted

Hi my Kidney Disease was diagnosed whilst I was on AMITRYPTALINE.

Plus YES be very wary about what is prescribed for you. The one time My Consutant tried to put me on LITHIUM, I was disgusted & shouted at him for even suggesting it to me as it is almost a pre World War 2 Drug.

I check everything nowadays before I take it because a GP will  not read all of the side effects. plus I know a Scientist who has told me to beware of certai medications & to be very wary.

I have learnt my lesson the hard way, to much trust in

• Posted

sorry,,,,,, I have learnt my lesson the hard way to much trust in my Doctors & Consultants, they do not know it all, it is guess work or elimination.

So, I am therfore now very careful

jACKIE

• Posted

Hello Please may I ask why you are called    ( Alwaysalone?? are you seriously always alone because if you are , you can write to me in your real name you know, & if you need a friend I will be your friend as well.

I do take notice.

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Jackie.

Yes, i am VERY wary, but i can't take much either as my body builds up a tolerance quickly so they say take more or change.

I take nothing now, an occasional barb for anxiety or restless leg, but that's about it.

Like yourself, i learnt the hard way, too.

There is too much trust in doctors and i now have none.

I was told to take lithium as well! Like you, i was disgusted and refused. The psychiatrist was so angry i said no that he swore at me, screamed so the whole section heard, and almost hit me.

Meedless to say i never saw him again. He didn't like me researching what he said was "best" for me and basically refusing what he tried to make me take.

In part defense of lithium, though, i have seen it help a lot of people. I know it is from the early ages, but it did, and does help people. That's why it's still used by some doctors, because they realise it has more benefits than most out there today.

You are very lucky to know a scientist to help you with meds and what to look out for.

I use google, usually webMD, and i found a couple of others that actually give the chemical compounds as well.

I read EVERYTHING, as i'm thinking you do, too.

We have to because the doctors are money orientated, they just don't care who or how they harm.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi Jackie,

Wow, I had no idea that this could cause kidney disease, am glad yours has been reversed and your kidneys are fine now. I have had testing done (for other health issues) a while ago by my Dr and my kidney function is fine so thank god it hasn't affected me in that way. He is presently weaning me off the amitriptyline as he was unhappy with how long I have been on the medication (it was prescribed by a different dr than the one I currently see) I was on a 50mg dose daily and am now down to 10mg daily.

• Posted

Sorry Jackie, i missed this post until now.

Yes, i am alone, mostly always.

I only have contact with my son.

I keep to myself and have very little to do with the "outside" world.

I see doctors when i have to but sometimes even don't do that.

• Posted

Well I am sometimes like that myself, I act confident but, it is mostly just an act. I have had several Strokes three years ago & it did knock my confidence quite a lot. I have made friends through my Stroke Group & I have a very good Husband & two daughters who live quite near to me.

Otherwise I keep to my own company because I am not always a lover myself of the outside world.

Too much trouble about who to trust, & I do not like gossip, so the less friends I have the better off I feel. When I do make a friend though , it is a friend for life. I am honest, faithful & true to my friends but, I have not had a lot of friends during my life. Just a few I can really trust.

Jackie

I also see Doctors when I really have to, I do not like going to the Doctors if I can help it, also I do not like shopping nowadays, I find it so boring.

• Posted

Hello Becky , it was long time use that caused me to have Kidney Disease, now it is in reverse Thank goodness, Damn Amitryptaline dries up everything but, the Doctors & Consultants do not tell you these things.It was another Doctor I was with many years ago who  put me on the dreaded Tablets..

So glad that you are being weaned off them.

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Jacky.

I don't have a husband. The only family i have is my son.

I only leave the property unless absolutely necessary, such as the doctor once in a while, and even then i cancel a lot of appointments.

I have had very few friends throughout my existence because i have been stupid and trusted people.

Being bipolar with other disorders i am either quite euphoric or quite depressed, and "society" would rather me not be a part of their little niche, so i stay out of it.

My best friend was lost towards the end of june and i can't deal with it at all.

In may my cat of 11yrs lost his life and then my dog, also 11, began pining and missed her friend terribly. She got ill and i lost her 3wks later.

Now i am again totally alone in the sense of feeling alone. My son has been staying with me since may because i think he's scared he'll lose me, too.

My animals were all that got me up, especially my dog...for walks.

I no longer have that reason and i certainly have no desire.

I have just moved house because i couldn't handle the sadness and memories being there brought, but i can't stand the loss and knowing they are no longer around here either.

I couldn't sleep before, now i don't sleep at all.

In 3 years i've lost so much and so many and just don't want any part of what's out there.

I don't like people because they are too cruel and uncaring. They are selfish and greedy.

Like my dog, i have given up, altho i actually gave up decades ago. My love for my son and animals and their needs were all i had to keep me going.

I have no more animals and my son is early 20's and has seen the hell i've been through with the bipolar alone.

He has been aware of many things for many years and knows i long for peace.

We have spoken of it, which is why he is still here with me, i think.

I am so sick of being ill and crying. I'm sick of being alone and lonely, but with that said, i would NEVER involve anyone in my physical, emotional and mental issues, so there is NO chance of a partner at all...ever. And i now only trust one person anyway - my son - the only other two trustworthy people i know were taken in may and june.

I needs meds but they either make me ill or my body has built up a tolerance to them so i can't be helped in that way.

I've seen psychologists and psychiatrists and had all sorts of tests through the years but no help came from it.

I know it's been downhill for years, and now my animals are gone it's an avalanche. No-one can help me, i've spent most of my existence searching for it and now things are worse.

My son worries for me and i hate that.

He should be planning his life for whatever will be left in this horrible world instead of worrying if something could happen when he's not around worrying about me.

I don't want to be here but i don't want to leave my boy either.

Caught between two worlds is hard and comes close to the hell i've suffered in this one; hell my son has also suffered with me through.

• Posted

Oh YOU POOR SOUL.I have also travelled the same path as you Bipolar.

Nasty Horrible Disease.

I am nearing 70yrs this year but, have a very young outlook on life, & I am now able to enjoy my life again, but, it has been a very traumatic road. I also suffered from Post Traumatic Stress at the same time & I was treated by a  Psychiatrist & Psychologist & they were no help whatsover

Nobody in this world understand this illness  unless they have been through it themselves  ( THE LONG BLACK HOLE) as I put it. All of the Drugs I was on for so many years, Psychiatrist did not help me at all neither psychologist, or any Mental Health Teams, what did help me was talking to other persons with Mental Health problems & making me realise that we are all the same , left out of society

I have recovered now from the extreme illness & I & my family had to deal with, however I will always have Bipolar but, I can now handle it & accept it. I too lost a lot of trust in past friends plus my sisters & my own Mother let me down terribly, I was badly abused by my Father as a child & nobody helped me or believed me which was terrible, My past is who I am , a very tender loving person , I can forgive & I have , but, I will not forget. I also love Animals because they love you wholeheartedly & bare no grudges, but, I only have my cat now but, I am grateful for her.

I lifted myself up by deciding to enter a new world of Charity Shops where I would peruse for hours & look for pieces of Porcelain or Glass that I thought interesting, then I would come home & spent days & hours on my PC chasing for answers, I enjoyed the research, after a while I began to recognse different makes & values , that is when my life became interesting again, plus it was the change in my purse, I checked it one day & to my delight I found a few rare coins & that started me off on my coin hunt, plus my Garden is now a hobby, Oh I could go on & on but, I do not wish to bore you, but, now I am in a position that I am happy instead of sad, HIGH rather than LOW. Keep writing we have something in common & Please do not feel so alone , I am here.

jACKIE X

• Posted

Hi Jackie.

We do seem to have a lot in common...

You have a much better outlook than me, tho, as i just don't want to be here anymore.

I used to collect pigs - statues and little trinkets mainly - but after i had my breakdowns and lost our house, they were packed up and put in storage. I know i'll never see them again, and having to rent, feeling and knowing it isn't my place, makes me realise less clutter to keep moving is too hard.

I hate gardening but i used to love making bonsais. I don't do that any more either because it means i have to go out and find plants, pots etc.

I want nothing to do with anything anymore.

I even no longer have an interest in music and that used to help me thru the rougher times.

I've felt since i was very young i didn't belong or want to be here, but all attempts at leaving failed.

That's when i thought animals and kids would help.

Having them did but now i have no animals and my son should be looking out for his future instead of worrying about me, so my being needed no longer exists.

Anxiety is another reason i don't want to go anywhere. I faint most times.

Existing as i do is just not worth it. There is no quality of "life", there is no "life".

I have another child, a daughter. I don't know where she is, but i know she had a baby in december last year. We used to be close, i thought we did, but found out it was more her boyfriend at the time that i was closest to. Her current partner is a liar and a thief; a horrible person, and we had words a few years back and he stopped the little contact i had with my daughter. He controls her - her phone, who she sees, everything, so i know i'll never see her again. I miss her, but things are as they are.

I just want to curl up and die. I don't have your will.

I have severe anaemia that requires either a blood or an iron transfusion, neither of which i will have. I was going to have the iron, but now my dog has gone there is no point. My red blood cells are deformed, and quite pale, almost white. There are very few of them and the problem is causing heart trouble due to the lack of oxygen in my blood. My ferritin level is 2, which is pretty bad. The doctor told me my heart will just suffocate from lack of oxygen in the blood, but as long as there's no pain, it doesn't matter. The doctors know what is causing the anaemia, and have done for 6yrs, but won't operate to stop the bleeding, but it's as tho they'd rather i die than deal with the problem they caused to begin with.

I walked my dog when she was here and altho i had trouble breathing, since the walks have ceased the chest pains and breathing issues have worsened.

My girl kept me going in more ways than one.

I think i feel more empty than alone. I can't fill the void that has kept me alone for so many decades.

I accept the bipolar and the other disorders they say i have, but i don't accept having to stay in a place where i don't want to, or in a society where i'm not wanted.

Thank you for speaking with me.

It helps a little knowing you got to where you are after such hell and struggle, and i enjoy hearing about you and your life.

I hate seeing the sun come up and know i have to go thru another day of hell.

I just don't want to do this anymore...i can't keep trying to exist like this and worry my son so much.

I am just done with it all but with fear and tolerance levels as they are, i have to wait for my heart to run out of air to find my peace. I feel it's not far off, but it's too far off to help me now.

Can i ask where you live?

I'm in australia. The country no longer a pleasure to be stuck in. I told my son to find a good trade and leave for a better place before the idiots make it worse, but there really is no better place anymore.

Too many people overpopulating, killing the land and each other.

Another reason to have had enough...

I really look forward to hearing from you, Jackie. You make me feel somewhat normal, and i thank you for that.

Take care, and i hope you find more special coins and porcelain and glass pieces.

If you get tired of speaking on the site, you are welcome to use my direct email.

Thank you for taking the time to care, for taking the time to even keep in contact.

You have no idea what it means...but then again, i think maybe you do.

Stay well and high, as you worded it.

XX

• Posted

Hello...may I make a suggestion....why not look into volunteering at an animal shelter...you obviously have an affinity with animals...and they would love you unconditionally...always. They need carers like you...and maybe you need them too...Hugs...Gloria
    • Posted

Hi Gloria.

Your suggestions are welcome.

I have considered helping at shelters etc, even when i had my furry family, but they are too far away and i have a few social issues with not coping well around people that hinder as well.

Another reason now is because i know i would be far less able to "cope" leaving animals to go back to nothing and the memories and imprints i am left with after losing my own.

I appreciate your thought, tho.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hiya...you could always offer to foster an animal or a bird....or baby sit one for a week or two...Hugs..G
    • Posted

Hello again.

I've thought of that, too, and of looking after the puppies they train as seeing eye dogs.

They look for foster carers until the puppies are old enough to learn their skill, and in the meantime, you give them a home, teach them manners, take them to puppy school and vet checks; that type of thing.

I would become too attached, tho, and i'd need a place that allowed me to have pets.

Having to rent makes it hard as many people don't allow pets.

Thank you for taking the time to think of things to try to make things better for me.

I appreciate it.

• Posted

Hello again, Yes I am here, I live in ENGLAND I wish you were closer as I think we could be good for each other. You have also got to realise that you are NORMAL it is just the world that is such a mixed up place & the people in it. I have been so hurt probably like you over the years & this on its own makes us distrust society.

I think it very sad that you have lost your house & have to live in rented accomodation, that on its own is will not make you feel relaxed.

I also have a blood condition, not enough red blood platelets, My Gp panicked & examined me all over for Lumps Bumps & Tumours only to realise later that MY BLOOD IS JUST STRANGE & not Cancerous as she thought, but, it made me panic for a month until she found out that it is just me. Anxiety was another problem I had as well but, that is through having had my last Stroke in Noember 2015 when I knew I was having one. It made me fear & worry so much that it brought on HIGH ANXIETY, but i have been seeing someone about this condition & it has helped me alot, ( breathing excersizes, plus teaching myself to tense up & then relax.

You do need people or an Animal though , on your own is just not right & its not fair either. I am high most of the time now as I have said previously, but, I am happy & that is fr better than the deep depresion that you are obviously in at the moment. Could you not for once take yourself off to the Gps & ask for the

• Posted

HAPPY PILL ( PROZAC, it certainly helped me.

Pleas send me your email address & your name & I will keep in contact with you & try to assist you.

Funny enough when you mentioned Bonsai, I thought it strange because I also love playing around with Shrubs & small Tree's to see if it would make a suitable Bonsai.

I do like going to garden centres to see if I can spot the one shrub or small tree to amke a Bonsai.

You entioned pots for Bonsai, you could always use old tyres or make your own Bonsai pots from cement if you have even a small yard or garden, just keep your eyyes open for anything that would be at al suitable for Bonsai.

I have been quite successful with my Bonsai  & enjoy wiring or sometimes I use wool or string, but I love them

Well thats it from e for today, I must go & cook .

Jackie

xx

• Posted

Hi Jackie.

I've always wanted to go to England; for as long as i can remember. I love your weather.

I love overcast and it's just too hot and horrible here.

I wish we were nearer to each other, too, but funnily enough, since we have "met", i think of you every day.

We seem a lot alike, and i believe we also seem to have a lot in common.

I was surprised to hear you also like bonsais and some of the items you mentioned to try. I'd never thought of anything other than the actual pots.

It's been a long time since i've had an interest in creating another. It crosses my mind every so often but that's as far as it goes.

Besides, then i have to go and find the plants etc, and that creates anxiety and phobias.

I cannot take prozac. I can take very little of anything, and that's some of the problem.

My body builds a tolerance very quickly, or just makes me ill, and i end up having to take amounts that would probably kill a normal person or they just don't work at all.

This causes many problems.

You mentioned that i'm normal. I don't feel normal and never have. I am shattered and the pieces that were left were ground to powder. I'd be more prone to fly away on the wind than be able to be put back together.

And i think the doctors think of me in the same way.

I used to cook as well but don't anymore because i only enjoyed creating dishes when i had my son to enjoy them.

I don't like food. It makes me feel ill so i'd rather go without. Even drinking water makes me feel sick.

The doctors don't seem to believe me, but that's nothing new at all.

They all tell me, "i can't help you, but come back. I find you very intriguing and interesting".

I don't go back because it makes me feel like they want to study me instead of attempt any type of help.

I have a migraine today so i won't keep you long. Besides, you have some cooking to do.

I'll send you my details thru the personal envelope icon. I hope you receive them.

Happy cooking and i'll hopefully speak with you soon.

XX

• Posted

I feel that you have turned a corner in your life and things are starting to interest you...Maybe there is a way that you could go to them...the puppies I mean. I know from experience how wonderful it feels to be useful to those in need and those pups certainly need someone like you. You'd be surprised what benefits you gain from the interaction with animals...they love you unconditionally. I'm sure you could detach yourself from the "saying goodbye" thing...because you know and understand it is a temporary thing and your love will go with them wherever they are. Give it a go...at least make some inquiries, We all need to be needed. Make a start at a new life and give those pups the life they deserve.

• Posted

Hi Gloria.

Did you get my details in the personal message i sent?

Nothing has changed.

I have turned no corners and nothing interests me.

I do love animals, i always have, but that hasn't changed.

I can't look after puppies or any other animals.

I'm certain of that.

Yesterday i took some anxiety meds and took the biscuits i'd bought for my dog to a lady for her cat.

My dog loved Whiskas cat biscuits.

As soon as her cat came to meet me, the floodgates opened more after the explanation to the lady of why i was there.

I had to leave and walked all the way back in tears, almost passing out because i couldn't walk quick enough or get enough air.

(That was the anaemia tho, not anxiety).

It was horrible.

It made me feel much sadder and emptier. I felt more alone and that i'd betrayed my girl by giving away what i'd bought for her and held onto since the end of june after losing her.

I couldn't throw her biscuits out, plus they were unopened packets, so i THOUGHT i was okay to take them to a lady i knew that had a cat where they would be used and appreciated.

I was wrong.

If anything, i made the situation of losing our pets worse.

I've been basically crying ever since.

I have no interest in anything.

I realised just how much i don't want to be around anymore.

Interaction is no longer a possibility.

xx

• Posted

Sorry no, I didn't get your personal message. When I gave you the advice on helping with animals, I was trying to help you. We can only do and say what we think is right, we don't know each personally so it is hard to know what to say and when. It was meant with love....G

• Posted

Hi Gloria.

I know you were offering advice to help me...and i appreciate it.

It sounds like you took my response as written in anger or similar, and that was not my intention at all so i apologise.

I merely tried to explain why i couldn't look after puppies etc and meant no malice or hostility whatsoever.

I am thankful for input into the situation in the hope someone may come up with something i haven't thought of.

I spend days and nights thinking because i can't sleep and my mind won't shut down and keeps racing, so it's possible i would and could miss something.

I know your input was meant with love.

xx

• Posted

Gloria.

I have just sent my info off to you again.

Hopefully you will receive it this time.

xx

• Posted

Hi GLORIA, messages are coming to me also from you which are meant for Colleen , I think there is some confusion on here re different persons.

I think messages have gone a bit haywire, never mind we have all been in the same boat on AMITRYPTALINE & we are all different. All of our writings are sent with love & best wishes , I feel very sorry for Colleen re garding Animals as she has not got the home she would like to house Animals & Animals were her life. Colleen please be uplifted for all the people on here who have made you a friend & we are all on here to  support each other. Love & best wishes & big hugs go out to all of you suffering out there, Kindest thoughts Jackie xxx

• Posted

Hey I take amitriptyline and I sweat profusely!! It's driving me crazy!! Then I have so much energy that I don't know what to do I constantly cook clean and take care of my pets. Also I have adult ADHD so I only get 4 hours of sleep a night sometimes just a couple of hours. I walk everywhere. I take amitriptyline for pain and depression but I heard it's not good for bipolar disorder that they should not take this drug. I'm bipolar. Alwaysalone... Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is always there to help you you will make it through all of this trust and believe just have a little bit of faith we will all get through what we're facing because we're not supposed to be facing this God loves us and here to deliver us to turn around and be happy and healthy. I have social anxiety I had diabetes I had high blood pressure I had a few more things and God took it away and heal me now I go for blood work soon and DNA test and I know it's going to come out great! God is still working on me.....my calling is to be a teacher of his word and ik someday I'll be totally held.

• Posted

Dear Jackie, I am so glad  and relieved to have come across your post about a connection with amitriptlyine and kidney damage. I'm having to be referred to a renal unit for further tests, as my kidneys are showing declining function on initial blood tests.

I have been on amitriptline 50mg for nearly 30 years. I stopped them immediately after reading your post.  Every doctor I've spoken to has said there is absolutely no possibility of kidney damage caused by amitriptyline.

After reading what you've said that it was proven in tests, it has given me hope that maybe it is from that, and not some other sinister cause!

How long were you on amitriptylene for?

Did you have to have a kidney biopsy to find out?

I hope you're still around on this forum to reply - I'm in a terrible state of constant fear

xx

• Posted

Hi Jackie,

My creatinine levels jumped from 1.06 to 1.4 in a year. I could not figure out what happened. Then I suspected the 25 mg of creatine I was taking, and came across this thread. So, your creatinine levels went back down? I thought the damage would be permanent. Can you also send your reply to?  

Thanks,

Rich

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

So, your creatinine, etc are all back to normal? That would be great. I have had the same problem while on amitryptaline.
    • Posted

Dear alwaysalone , I too am alone all day every day , I only see my husband at night and other people when we do the groceries , it does get to me sometimes but for the most part it is what is best for me , a lot would not understand but I do , my own company is safe and i'm pretty interesting to be around smile if you want someone to chat with i'm here .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.