Strange side effects possibly linked to amitriptyline use?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi! I've been on amitriptyline for a little while now, I'd say about six months. I've been having some weird side effects. it makes me have very vivid, weird dreams, and causes me to sleep for very long (10+ hours, sometimes up to 15) and keeps me asleep the whole entire time, I never wake up during the night, ever. Lately I've been waking up with weird scratches on my body (mostly my legs), with no recollection of how they got there, and it looks like it's cause by fingernails. I'm wondering if maybe I'm doing this to myself in my sleep, and if so, is this caused by my use of amitriptyline?

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been on it for 9 yrs now, and i've not experienced that. When you say you've been on it for a little while, I think these effects will dissipate in time. I would give it at least 4 months, and see. If these are bothersome, then your doc will change  the med. Yes you are no doubt scratching in your sleep. Your tiredness should go away in time also

• Posted

Well I was on Amitryptaline  for more than 20years plus before that for 18years I was on Tryptanol which is the equivalent Drug but, that was prescibed to me whilst we were iving in S,Africa, so in all about 38years I was on this Drug.

I am under my GP of whom I did ask could she help me come off this  Drug,

• Posted

which I have but, it is still very difficult but, with time & patience I know I will be alright. I am now on PROZAC.

Jackie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.