Strange Skin texture, discoloration, and skin peeling on glans. 6-8 months, no improvement.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 19 Years old, Male, and I have had this problem increasingly over the last 6-8 months. I really am not sure when I started noticing things were different but it was sometime earlier this year. It's been issues with my glans skin on the underside, left and right of the "border" i guess I'd call it, peeling. It would happen periodically and I would notice when I was masturbating.

I also have this strange spongey texture on the top of my glans, a burning when I pee especially after masturbating, and very small bump like thing coming outward from the urethral opening (you can see all this in the photos I think). Though all of these things outside of the peeling have been around for a lot longer than the last 6-8 months. I remember feeling burning when I'd pee as far back as 15. That said, the spongey texture, and the bumps, though I believe they were present before I noticed the peeling this year, do seem to be getting worse as well.

There's also just a lot of discoloration. Brown spots, a general brown discoloration near the area thats peeling on the underside, and a very subtle red splotchyness all over. My penis glans also just generally has a redish hue to it on the top then quickly transitions to a gray on the bottom.

The area that's been peeling has now a shiny / scaly texture to it that looks different when the light hits it. This is likely from scarring from all the peeling I guess? This is my main conern, the peeling and the scarring.

I will rule out STIs because I have never had sex. Though I masturbate frequently. Usually just by moving the skin back and forth on the upper part of my shaft without lube and without touching my glans or rubbing across the skin at all. I am circumcised but I have enough skin left there that I can comfortably tug it.

Lastly, I want to reference another thread from this group, if I may, because the photos there are very representative of a certain thing my glans does as well. https://patient.info/forums/discuss/glans-problems-718063 If you look at those photos, my glans behaves similarly texture wise from before erection, during erection when it gets more shiny and smooth, and after erection where it just looks weird, almost like it's got white powder on it or something, I can't describe it but the pictures speak for themselves there.

I really don't want to go see a doctor about this but it's looking like I'm going to have to. But some other opinions and help with this would be immensely appreciated. Heres the photos:

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Okay, you have two separate issues going on here. The burning sensation you get, and the issue with skin on the glans of your penis.

The burning is referred to as Urethritis, and you could do your own search for: What is Urethritis - Health Line - as this article describes the alternative Urinary Tract Infection and you can link to the specific information on UTI’s from there. For whichever one it is you have a simple thing you need to make sure you have in place is to drink plenty of fluids, particularly water, and this can be particularly the case if you live in a hot climate, sweat a great deal due to regular activity, such as training for and taking part in physically active sports, with the other issue being if you regularly have certain spicy foods as part of your diet.

Unlike the other Forum post that you provide the Link for, fortunately you can rule out any sexual related issues or conditions as you have not been sexually active.

In the other Forum response I gave I talk about the skin of the penis having a natural state, and again, the peeling of the skin that you have on the glans suggests your glans skin has certainly varied away from the ideal state.

The unfortunate thing is that you seem to have something close to a complete, or some refer to this as a radical circumcision - and I am guessing that you were most likely circumcised as an infant. So the texture on the glans of your penis is what many circumcised men experience, and probably what you need to learn about is how to deal with the natural skin lubrication that is lost as a result of circumcision.

The essential one is soap and other forms of body cleansers such as shower gel, and if you wash your hair in the shower then the other thing you need to be careful about is hair shampoo. All these have an impact on the skin on the glans as it is more sensitive to chemicals than skin elsewhere on the body.

Here is part of one of my guides where I talk about this issue further:

Penile Hygiene Protocol to Combat Penile Skin Problems

Try to abstain from applying anything at all to your penis - wash the head / glans with water only, dry 100% immediately afterwards by patting dry with a towel. When showering do not apply soap or shower gel to your penis, wash everywhere else on the body first and once you have thoroughly rinsed everything off, use the running and rub the skin of the penis with the inside of your hand only.

Don't apply any Lubes, Baby Oil, Moisturiser or Skin Creams / Lotions to it. If you are sexually active, or Masturbate, clear away any fluids from the entire surface of the head of your penis as soon as you can. You may need to be vigilant and check for several hours after you have ejaculated to see if any further pre-ejaculate or semen reaches the head of your penis.

The other thing you will need to learn about is how to safely hydrate the skin on the glans, natural products such as Coconut Oil (for skin rather than hair) and Shea butter. Certainly a good quality Coconut Oil is relatively cheap and the good thing is both of these have natural skin healing properties. I would suggest you apply a very light coat of coconut oil 3 or 4 times a week following a shower and you have completely dried yourself.

If there is anything else you would like to check put with me simply hit the Reply button, I do not respond to Messaging ……

• Posted

... in the Hygiene Protocol I had to amend the original as it was written for uncircumcised men (the majority of men in the UK are uncircumcised) ....

So, where I state: " When showering do not apply soap or shower gel to your penis, wash everywhere else on the body first and once you have thoroughly rinsed everything off, use the running" - the word that was unintentionally deleted is WATER - the sentence should therefore read:

When showering do not apply soap or shower gel to your penis, wash everywhere else on the body first and once you have thoroughly rinsed everything off, use the running water and rub the skin of the penis with the inside of your hand only.

• Posted

Thanks for the response.

I do in fact eat a lot of spicy food.

I have been trying to apply coconut oil to the glans after washing it with water for the last few weeks, and its helped some, the periods of peeling seem more infrequent, but i cant say Ive avoided my shampoo/conditioner/body soap running across my glans while showering. That said, I've never done that. Why would it just now be an issue causing peeling this year?

• Posted

Okay, to understand this - look at the skin on your body in this way:

Thankfully the majority of us are born with either perfect, or quite normal skin. The skin on the genitals that have no hairs growing on it, are, like the eyelids, the most sensitive skin on the body. So therefore this skin, unlike the skin elsewhere on the body is more likely to develop a reaction to the things it is in contact with, compared to any skin across the body.

Therefore that brings us to two potential scenarios: either the skin on the head of your penis has been in contact with something that it has not previously had contact with in the years prior to the peeling going on, OR, the most common other scenario is that you get an accumulative effect. Nothing of real consequence has changed, ONLY, the skin can no longer cope with the onslaught of contact with chemicals that it has had over the years, and so, begins to react in the way you have witnessed.

There could be something else going on, but the main issue of concern and cause of reaction is the unprotected sexual activity, particularly unprotected penetrative sex. But, of course, this can be ruled out for you, quite thankfully ...

So again the essentials to do are: wash with water only, whenever the skin on the head has moisture on it this must be completely removed, so certainly following a shower or washing your penis, it must be completely dried afterwards - as, failure to do this, in itself, can become a cause of peeling skin if moisture is regularly present.

In terms of the use of coconut oil, a light coat 3 times a week, or every other day is sufficient, and it is also a good natural lubricant for masturbation too - but again, moderate, light use of it is key, rather than saturating the skin every time you use it.

• Posted

Hello, I just want to say that I have the same problem as drve02636 with skin on my glans. But I have to say that it is not caused by circumcision, because I had my circumcision just 1 year ago, but I had skin texture like this for my whole life. I tried moisturizing with everything, but unfortunately dryness of the glans is not the problem here 😦 If you maybe have some new informations about this problem, please let me know, thank you...

• Posted

I would suggest you start your own Forum discussion

In simple terms your situation is defined by that which can be changed, such as what your glans is in contact with on a regular basis, and that which cannot, such as your penis has developed the way it looks now, naturally.

As ever, the specifics of your situation would be in a more detailed explanation - you are best doing that in your own New Discussion - often clear photos are critically important to give meaningful discussion .....

• Posted

regarding the penile head, this is dry skin most likely from wearing tight underwear or some kind of repeat skin issue from the past. its quite normal in people who are circumcised from a young age. when you are circumcised you have to make sure to wear loose underwear otherwise the head will constantly rub against your underwear hence the dry skin.

• Posted

Seconding what John has said, your glans does look like many penis heads that have been circumcised. I suppose it's just a general drying out of a body part that is usually covered.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.