Strange smell

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. You're all going to think I'm a little strange. Does any of you, while drinking or recovering smell their hands( well between the fingers) and it smells different? It's a smell I can't really describe but I actually like it. It reminds me of my brother who died. It's weird but it's not a horrible smell, it's nice ?

0 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I always used to think that I had a faint smell of garlic coming out of my pores when I'd had  a skinfull.
  • Posted

I didn't know about it, but I googled:

Alcohol Withdrawal strange

and it automatically tacked "smell" onto the end, so I guess it's fairly common. Though it's not the same smell for everyone.

• Posted

That's interesting; I mainly stunk of scotch when drinking then when sober, people used to say that I smelled of onions. I like onions but I didn't eat loads of them everyday. 

' wonder what the experts say? 

• Posted

Not had a smell from my hands but I know when I've drunk a lot the night before my poo stinks in the morning.....I know.....TMI!!
    • Posted

Lactulose, that's the stuff you want, clears your system out and nothing has time to ferment.

• Posted

Is that a medicine or can I get it from Holland and barratt as I'm just passing one now
    • Posted

'Fraid not, it isn't prescription, but it is behind the counter pharmacy only.

Stiil, if you go into hospital with alcohol/liver problems, they'll probably give you a lactulose enema and believe me, that will clear your system.

Just make sure you have a clear run at the toilet, you don't need anything getting in the way of your panic to hit the pan, before all hell breaks loose.

• Posted

Dear Nicole. You really made me laugh when I read this "I'm passing one now" ...lol xx
    • Posted

Hi Nicole.  What is TMI ?  I try to keep up wth the modern terminology.  Alcohol ...over-doing it... then poo...  my digestive system has been wrecked by it all.  Can't bear to think of smell.  It made me vomit. Don't try to picture the scene.  What a state to get into ! 

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

​ I never noticed a smell....actually when not showering for days on end...my boyfriend used to comment that it was strange that I did not have an odor and that my hair still smelled good with all the smoking and drinking. 

​I don't think your STRANGE....I love new topics and things that make me think of the things that happen to me and others when we drink!

• Posted

Well, Paper fairy, you will think I am strange.  I have no idea what my hands could smell like... drinking time or not.  I wash my hands obsessively !  I use Dermol... rinse... no smell that I can sniff !!  I have no idea what I am trying to clean away.  I have to use the Dermol because soaps and handwashes have dried my skin out... allergic reactions etc.  I would not like to count how many times I wash my hands , in a day.  It must be at least 10 times every waking hour.  I have never shared this information, before.  STRANGE !

Oh well, we all have our little ways.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

A lot of people with problems like ours have OCD.I know I have but not with things like cleaning but more my thought process.Im obsessed with being late as well,so much so that I'm always super early for everything
    • Posted

Hi Nicole,

I am sure that I have OCD, but... I don't want to admit it.  It is with certain things... like handwashing.  I cannot clean the mess around me, in my bedroom, where I spend most of my time. I hate mess... but I live like a MESS... everything around me is in chaos.

I am always late for everything... no matter how hard I try.  Hate it.

Alona

• Posted

You might be surprised about what sorts itself once you get alch out of the way. At the very least it'll likely be easier to make changes when you don't have your mind flinging stuff at you from all directions. My place has been a mess for years, all of a sudden I feel like processing chunks of it. I even ironed my shirts the other night, something I haven't done for decades! Sometimes the old trick of getting them from the dryer at the right time and giving them a shake and smooth just doesn't get it. The ones that didn't work for just didn't get worn anymore unless it was under a sweater...
    • Posted

Hi ADEfree.  The weird thing for me is, last time I totally quit drink... I didn't get tidy.  I was still in a depressed, messed-up, messy place.  I think my mind may be a minefield.

I hope for better times.

I hope you are well.

Alonangel

• Posted

My house is a mess as well,I hate housework!...I do the necessary stuff like the washing but very rarely iron.If you get stuff out if the washing machine straight away and put it in hangers it doesn't need ironing lol.

I don't open the curtains because it shows up the dust and the dog hairs.

• Posted

Oh Nicole... I keep the blinds shut , most of the time.  Have piles of unsorted, clean clothes. Can't bear ironing.... and other chores.  The thing is,  ... WHY ?  Is it to do with personality or alcohol.  I think personality, first.  I used to be "houseproud".  Now, no pride in anything.

• Posted

Yes, but it may be different when you take it down more slowly and don't have to deal with the white knuckle scene. It was just one big confused mess for me and with underlying depression (I'm dysthymic) and the depressive effects of alcohol, it was so easy to just leave it all lying there. Now that I'm down to about 4 drinks a day, workable bits and pieces are starting to pop up. Not so much internal resistance, anyway.
    • Posted

Hi ADEfree,  your comment is really interesting.  I have seen "dysthymia " on medical reports about me.  They were about other health problems.

We certainly live and learn.

Alonangel

• Posted

Yeah, it's kind of an odd one. Dysthymics often just figure "that's just the way life is" so it doesn't get much attention like a major depressive disorder would, where someone is completely and obviously waylaid by their problem.
    • Posted

I have also had severe, reactive depression.  At that time, I could not accept my other health problems.  I think I am basically a sad person.  I drink to cheer myself up.  Well, we know where that gets us. Are we all just sad... looking for happy-in-a-bottle ?
    • Posted

Oh, yeah! Sadness, anxiety. Alcohol is the "go-to" drug for that. Easy to get, not illegal like so many others, no Rx needed. But it's like wishing on the monkey's paw. 
    • Posted

Sorry to be so non savvy.  What is Rx? ...Prescription ?  I don't know what "wishing on the monkey's paw" is, either.  Living in own bubble.
    • Posted

Oh, U.S. slang, I guess. Yes, Rx is prescription. "Wishing on the monkey's paw" is from an old story in which a person made wishes on a supernatural "Monkey's Paw". Their wishes were magically granted, but in the most horrible way possible. 
    • Posted

Thanks, ADEfree.  I'm back to the gin at mo.  Rubbish ! /Trash !

I hope all is well with you.

• Posted

Thanks, Alonangel. Getting better, bit by bit, I'm liking it so far!

Hope to hear you say "I'm turning my back to the gin" in due time! Keep on rollin'!

• Posted

and a rockin' ...   A bit gin'd out, now.  
    • Posted

Ah...you are just going to have a laugh now...What are leaf blowers?  Is it wacky backy? Drug stuff?  I don't think you are talking gardening tools... Are you?  I am quite naive for my age !
    • Posted

"Ah...you are just going to have a laugh now...What are leaf blowers?"

Yes, the gardening tool! This is how bachelors think. Manly men doing manly things in a manly way! Open the doors and windows, start up the leaf blower, get it done and move on to the next thing! We don't have all day, you know!

• Posted

I'm like you, innocent about stuff like this. Re weed, I think if I was able to get some( don't know the right people) I could have a joint at the weekend and not need to drink x
    • Posted

I don't often use the stuff, but it's OTC here at special recreational pot shops. They've usually got 15 or more different types, plus hashish, oil, gummy bears, chocolates, brownies, all infused with weed. I just prefer beer. Had a few beers with a friend and tried a couple of puffs of his favorite. It was ok at first, but then the room started whirling around... that put me off it for over a year.
    • Posted

I am so sorry if I offended you.  I only know of a garden vacuum for leaves.  I really am not trying to offend.  I have a limited life.  I am sorry to offend, by my ignorance. I don't know terminology re other leaves.  Please, don't  judge me wrongly.  I don't know what's what.  Sorry.
    • Posted

My dear  friend Alonangel. I don't understand how you've offended anyone? You have to stop thinking the way you do and start believing in yourself. Private message me if you would like help. It's not right the way you put yourself down..lots of love to you xx

Re weed, my son, 16 just, very bright and predicted 9 A* in GCSEs. He actually said to me that I'd be better off taking weed than alcohol when I'm in a crisis. ??

• Posted

I think the same.  People  I know ... I think do that.  Not alcoholic.  Don't know about their  "smokin' ".  I feel really that they are not in my state because of their other option. 
    • Posted

No, no! Not at all! I was just trying to flesh out the joke a little more, by adding a bit of comical imagery of some fellow flinging open the doors and windows and dusting out the house with a high-velocity leaf blower, possibly sending pictures and small animals flying out the door in the resulting jetstream. I think the whole "manly men doing manly things" was from a Monty Python skit, but I don't recall for sure. Well, I didn't manage it right, sorry for the misunderstanding.
    • Posted

"I only know of a garden vacuum for leaves."

I didn't stop to think, but maybe leaf blowers aren't legal everywhere. It sounds like the leaf vacuum you mention, just the other way around. Around here you can get one that's on something similar to a backpack frame. It's gas powered and blows air at nozzle speed of about 200 mile per hour.

• Posted

Oh my dear friend, Paper fairy...I am crying now... I take such solace from your caring post.  I am so drunk, now. Gin bin. Enough said. Hell and Help are only one letter apart.  I am def in the Hell bit.  Medication... well ... how slow can it be ..
    • Posted

I don't know how to private msg.  I am better staying at a distance.  Very drunk now. Keep going back to bottle.  Tablet smablet. What on earth am I supposed to do. I hope you are doing better than me.  I have lost focus, again. 

I hope you are coping well,

Alona

• Posted

Why do you want to blow leaves, everywhere... I don't understand.
    • Posted

It's just a fast way to clean up fallen leaves outside, as opposed to raking them. Over here, landscape maintenance companies use them quite a bit to clean up leaves, grass clippings and small debris in general. 
    • Posted

All angel. I'm sorry but I can't remember your history. Have you got children or dogs? Have you thought about rehab? That's what stopped me drinking 24/7. I'd be dead now if I hadn't gone there. Definitely. I'm not cured but I'm a hell of a lot better and positive now than I was before. Xxx
    • Posted

Hi P/f and Alona,

I first time ai came across weed during my early days as a musician; I tried it, it didn't suit me but it was suited to many who didn't go on to beome alcoholics as far as I know. 

I don't know P/f but your son may have a point? (although I've seen very bright kids get hammered with it at college). The 'legalisation/de-criminalisation' of weed seems to be working in Holland - reducing alcoholism, crime etc. and I believe some states in The U.S. are following suit. I don't know if they have or not yet. maybe the U.K. will follow suit eventually?

It's prolific here and easy to get hold of; dealers are at risk but it depends on their relationship with the authorities. The policing of it is ambiguous and discretionary  and street 'fines' come into it as well.

Most ex-pats use it and promote the health benefits vehemently and drink too.

I may have been lucky it didn't suit me when I tried it but if it had suited, it may have cut down my desire to drink? Who knows?

I did think at the time that one thing leads to another - I never gave my drinking a thought. 

Based on what I see here, people who use it don't seem to have much of a problem with alcohol. In a lot of bars, I guess I'm a passive weed smoker.

I never wanted to get involved but I've known and do know people who are users.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.