Strange symptoms reflux? LPR?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello everyone this is my 3rd post. Just to recap I have suffered heartburn for 12 years, currently on esompeprozole to control the heartburn which it does very well. However I have been getting sore throats now for 3 years. I've had an endoscopy, which was clear, more recently a camera into the throat and was told all clear. However I keep coughing up mucus which until now didn't cause me to many problems but once again all day long I have a burning sensation at the back of the throat which I haden't had for some months. I haven't changed my diet, I exercise as always but out of the blue it's back again. I keep going round in circles, apparently I was lucky to have the scope down the throat this time because I'd had one a year or so again. However they all keep coming back normal??? Can anyone shed some light on this mystery, thank you.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

why can't you just stay on on esomeprazole then? I mena that's LPR for sure  and basically surgery is the only option but if you haven't got a problem with the sphincter then I doubt that the surgery would clear things up...

• Posted

Hi esic.

Emproprazole is real poison in my opinion. It caused my burnt throat in the 1st place. Anyone taking it, should be on it under 60 days or so. Long term use relaxes the l.e.s. , and causes rebound reflux, as there is nothing to block acid.

Also, acid is needed to fight infections, and for digestion. Taking any ppi pill long term, is more harmful than good, sorry.Stu

• Posted

I'm 25 and on it for life... Smoking is also poison but some people live 100+ years with 2 packs of cigarettes daily... 

• Posted

There are some things in life that can be fixed if you have the will to do it. Living on pills is not the answer, and is the easy way out. We take Tylenol for a headache, but don't live on it.Stu

• Posted

I'm aware of that but when you try anything in 6 years to get off the pills and you stil have heartburn and erosive gastritis then you have to stick on them. You can't tell a boy or a girl to get of chemoteraphy and try some alternatives if she has cancer now can you... Think about it...

• Posted

Hi esic.

Your doctor should ween you off of the pills, and you should seek a good surgeon who is familiar with the the best type of surgery. I'm 57, not wanting surgery, but you're still young and will recover fast.

Think about it. No more pills, relfux, or post nasal drip. Stu

• Posted

GERD is not my main problem, my main problem is stomach hyperacidity which constantly causes gastritis and bleeding, therefore ppis are the best thing for me... It 's like you would have constant raining, how do you stop the constant raining from the sky, you can't because we don't govern the sky...

• Posted

OK then.....Sounds like you got your hands full. Stu
    • Posted

Hi stu

I do agree with you. I don't think ppis are the answer but for some people they really help. They didn't help me and even if they did I probably wouldn't have stayed on them after reading what I have!!

What would you say is the answer then because we are all so desperate to find it? I'm at my wits end with it and I'm considering an op but that scares me too.

Thanks

Dominique

• Posted

Hi Dominique,

I think if the problem is mechanical i.e. herniation, then surgery is the permanent fix. What scares me, is the surgery, and possible post surgery issues. I found Mass. General Hospital to have a special division for these issues. They were rated the # 1 hospital overall last year in the U .S. A. Stu

• Posted

Hi Danny, I wish I could however I seem to be forever searching for answers myself. I have I hiatus hernia, the pain I had up my throats was horrendous on a daily basis, bending over, eating used to cause a rush of acid. I am on 30mg of Lansoprazole and like with yourself, the medication has totally got rid of the heartburn. I have oesophagitis at the bottom of my oespohagus. I have never suffered with the sore throats though. What I do have when using certain volumes and tones of voice it goes croaky, I wonder perhaps if my vocal chords have some permanent damage from previous acid. 3 chest X-rays later all clear in the lungs but who knows. I think this condition causes different symptoms for each person. I hope you find the answers you are looking for
    • Posted

I'm on the same boat as you it seem. Have got a hiatal hernia which causes me to burp when i lift something etc. If I got to the gym the burping gets worsers everything because of the hiatal hernia.. The burping causes acid to go up in my case.. 

I'm on ppis for life, how long have you been on them? Any side effects, what dosage are you taking daily?

• Posted

I've been on PPI's for 12 years, haven't really had any side effects, though I can get anxious sometimes, not sure if the PPI's are a contributing factor

• Posted

Hi Danny.

I have similar symptoms. I'm will to bet you have a hiatal hernia. If you haven't tested for it, you will need the barium swallow test to confirm it. If that is the case, surgery is the only resolution as it is a mechanical problem. Regards, Stu

• Posted

Hi Stu. I had an endoscopy and it showed a perfectly normal oesophugus. Didn't mention anything of a hernia.

• Posted

Hernia's, if small aren't detected by endoscopy. Mine only showed up by barium swallow test.Stu

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.