Strange vibration sensations - what's causing it??

Posted , 140 users are following.

I've found several forums where there have been posts from people experiencing this disconcerting feeling of an internal quivering or vibration but none of them are current, so I wanted to see if anyone else out there is having the same experience and can share an insight into what might be causing it.

I started to get this feeling of internal vibration when I was mainly lying in bed and then occasionally if I shifted position it might last for 30 seconds or so before disappearing. That was about 8 months ago. Now I feel it every night and during the day as well quite often. The other day after a short walk of a few hundred yards followed by a period of standing still it felt like the ground was vibrating  because it was in my feet. It seems to move around to different areas of the body - sometimes I feel it in my legs, an arm, torso - it's quite random but often felt when I've shifted position in bed. At first I thought it was circulatory but now I think it's probably neurological. I thought I was having palpitations but an ECG showed nothing abnormal. I've also had a full spine & brain MRI as I've been having other strange symptoms of occasional numbness and sensations of burning and cold areas of my arms/hands and legs/feet and a sore tongue which comes and goes and often feels like I've just cleaned my teeth with menthol toothpaste when I haven't. I thought I had all the signs of MS, but it hasn't been diagnosed. I've also had a number of blood tests for immune issues, evoked potentials and nerve conductivity tests. Nothing! The MRI does show a lot of wear to my cervical vertebrae and two anterior spondylolisthesis - one cervical, one lumbar, so I wonder if my spinal issues could be the cause. My neurologist was doubtful. He also couldn't explain the vibration sensation except to say that it can be caused by a migraine, which I certainly haven't had. 

I just don't know where to go with this now.  My GP isn't interested and puts everything down to stress which I AM under it's true to say, but I don't think she's right. I've had to pay for all my neuro investigations as a result because she won't refer me or do any more blood tests etc.  I'm trying homeopathy, osteopathy and acupuncture as I want to find something that will relieve these weird symptoms and prefer to avoid drugs if I can.

I'm 58, eat reasonably heathily, no alcohol, only 1 cup of coffee a day and my weight is normal. I broke my wrist badly at the end of August last year which is when my problems all seemed to start. i

I also wonder if the metal plate that was used to fix the fracture could be causing some kind of strange reaction.

If anyone else is having these symptoms please let me know if you've been able to identify the cause and how to deal with it.

10 likes, 269 replies

269 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been taking a calcium channel blocker, verapamil, for the past ten years for arrhythmia which has done nothing for the vibration sensation or the feeling of a painful electrical current travelling through my body on waking. I hope you have better success with the beta blocker.
  • Posted

I have Parkinson's and I did not have the strange vibrations until I was diagnosed with Parkinson's (2005). The vibrations started appearing about a year ago. I am not saying you have it but check out the link, it may give you a starting place for you and your doctors. I just found this link this morning after searching on the web trying to find an answer for my vibrations. I hope this helps. :-)

https://www.healthline.com/health/internal-vibrations

• Posted

Hi Gerard. I have Sjögren’s but starting to wonder about Parkinson’s as well as seem to have so many features. Have you got the classic tremors and at what stage did they start relative to the vibrations would you mind telling me?  

• Posted

I have unilateral tremors on Right side. Diagnosed Sep 2005, but I did not experience the internal tremors until about the ending of 2016 and beginning of 2017.
    • Posted

Thanks Gerard. I will report my internally vibrating right leg to my neurologist as it’s different to my very bilateral small fibre neuropathy. 
  • Posted

It most certainly can be your vertebrae in you’re neck. Go see a chiropractor I deal with this as well. Also check your potassium and magnesium levels. They are super important as well. I hope all is well with you! 
    • Posted

I see an osteopath regularly but he’s never come across this vibrating problem before. I did go to see a chiropractor about 6 months ago but he sent me away without touching me as he said it was too risky having seen my cervical MRI results! The osteopath is okay as he doesn’t do a lot of manipulation. I do take magnesium to help with arrhythmia but will ask Dr about potassium. Thank you for sharing.

• Posted

I've been experiencing similar symptoms. I'm wondering if my ways of relieving it work for anybody else.

If I'm moving limbs, such as faking like I'm riding a bike (while on my side), the vibrations stop during this motion, but immediately return as soon as I stop.

If I "rumble" my ears and pop them, the vibrations stop for about a minute before slowly returning.

If I get up and walk around and stretch for about 30 seconds, this will cease the vibrations for a few minutes before returning.

This one is hard to describe, but if I concentrate on the vibrations stopping, I feel like my brain can actually stop the vibrations, but as soon as I relax it starts immediately.

I seldom feel the vibrations when I'm on my back. I'm a side sleeper, so once I'm on my side it usually starts within 5 minutes of laying down. When it first started, it was only in my lower back. Now its rarely in my lower back, and typically in the back of my head or my legs. Every night is a slightly different experience. Some nights it doesn't happen, some nights it does, and some nights are worse than others. Sometimes its only in my legs and not my head. It can "move" around in the course of a night.

If I put my hand between my back and the bed, I can feel the vibrations on my hand, but it may not be strong enough for me to feel it otherwise.

• Posted

Your experience is very similar to my own. My vibrations are nightly and move around most of my muscles in all different parts of my body mostly when I move after a while of lying quietly in bed or waking up in the night or the morning. The strongest ones are always felt in my chest. Like you, if I concentrate on trying to stop them it feels as if my thoughts can have some influence and reduce the feelings. The chest vibrations do seem to make my heart rate shoot up although as far as I can tell they’re not caused by atrial fibrillation. I can certainly feel them under the skin with my hand. When I get up or start moving around more they usually stop altogether, although I have been aware of them occasionally during the day. 
  • Posted

i have this to. and do not know why. it scares me...and pcp will not take me seriously about it, just looks at me,and walk away,, why?

• Posted

I went to see my GP and mentioned my vibrations to her again and asked if I could see a rheumatologist but she said she couldn't refer me as my symptoms are too vague, so I'm going to see one privately.  I've also been reading up more about amalgam fillings, toxicity and the side effects of mercury in the system which does fit in with these symptoms, especially fine tremor and other neurological issues, but I found that this is a minefield!  To remove or not to remove old fillings, and chelation to remove the mercury that can kill you if wrongly administered.  It makes me wonder if old fillings could be to blame as many people have said that their investigations come back with nothing conclusive and mercury fillings are extremely commonplace. I know I've had amalgams removed from my bottom teeth and replaced with white ones quite some time ago now with no special precautions taken to protect me from these toxic fillings & fumes they give off. Also over the years this toxicity is gradually building up in our systems.  ?I'll wait to see what the rheumatologist has to say about things when I see him in a couple of weeks.

• Posted

wow you are like me I have Amalgams on the bottom of my mouth It was just noticed by my ENT.  My Dentist ever saw it Which is unusual I have false teeth so you would think it was noticed b4
    • Posted

wow this is definately something to look closer into. since i have lyme its already something a lot of lymies are doing in hopes to aid getting better! my vibrations are non stop and showed up about 2 weeks ago just out of nowhere.

however i do have A LOT of fillings and root canals and crowns... humm

• Posted

Hi sally plzz help me .. I was same problem  from 2  months what can I do ..I don't know what heppen to my body day by day plzz tell which disece I have it's mind stress or gass or heart ?? Plzz rply 

• Posted

Hi Gursharan, I'm sorry to hear you're getting the same feelings of vibration. I can't tell you what's causing it as I don't even know myself. I think there many different things it could be - stress is just one if you read the posts here. I hope things improve for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.