Strangeness of diverticulitis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all

I just wanted to post this after having had my colonoscopy last Thursday in the hope that it might help, I was told three years ago that I had diverticilar pouches on my colon, after that colonoscopy, all the pain settled down, then at start of May this year I developed severe pain in my lower back, rectum, legs, hips and lower stomach, not left sided, I got very worried as it was there 24/7, my GP said it was a flare of diverticulitis again after three years, so eventually got me in for colonoscopy last Thursday, after which surgeon said all was fine, no infection, or inflammation, now all the pain I had everywhere is gone again so it seems when my colon is totally cleaned out from prep, all pain goes away, maybe there was inflammation in there that they couldn't see, so if anyone is really scared or worried and has same type pain I hope my experience helps. Good health to us all.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kate, thanks for sharing and good to know.  I try to get some good fibre through me to keep my colon clean as often as I feel up to it but it does explain some of the pain that I get sometimes so something for me to keep in mind.  Glad you are doing better.
  • Posted

I suffered with severe backache for 2 years, taking pain killers and having physio, none of which did any good. When I had to have a colonoscopy and had the prep before it my backache stopped. It was like a miracle. As time has gone by the backache is back. I cannot get a doctor to listen or understand what I mean when I asked for some moviprep again because I know it will ease my back. 
  • Posted

So glad you are doing better sweetie! Yes everyone is different, I was diagnosed in Feb with Diverticulitis on antibiotics then developed abscess in hospital more antibiotics, I was better till May, that’s when my left lower hip buttocks and leg pain started. Was thinking pinched nerve or pelvis out of alignment. Also burning sensation around bellybutton are to left. Had cat scans blood work stool samples tests and Endoscopy all normal no sign of flare up or infection. My colonoscopy last Tuesday removed 6 polyps and a scrape of colon for biopsy, severe Diverticulosis (3 spots) in sigmoid and I feel worse after the colonoscopy. Ugh so frustrating. This disease is so confusing, so my GI thinks it’s IBS . I’m having SIBO test done next week. Well praying for all who live with this awful disease. 🙏

• Posted

That's so weird kate I'm hoping when I do mine on the 18th all my pain will b cleaned away Do you feel safe to start eating like the food you use to love So happy for you

• Posted

Hi Ellen, how are you feeling? Sending good vibes and much prayers you are feeling better daily. I am dealing poorly with my diagnosis and pretty sure I got the Diverticulitis induced IBS. So my anxiety has been high and tummy very icky. Just want to find a way to accept and move on. 😡

• Posted

Hi vickie I am feeling better and I keep you in my thoughts and prayers daily I go for cat scan with contrast Friday the 13th and colonoscopy the 18th I am very stressed out because of colonoscopy I'm feeling better and I don't wanna pis off my colon! I hope the oil helps you and try the lotion to

• Posted

Hi ellen. I'm trying to be careful what I eat, small amounts only, bo red meat, hope I never go back to that pain again, it was awful, best of luck for 18th, hope you will let us K ow how you get on, warm hugs xx

• Posted

Hi Ellen how are you feeling? Thinking of you and Hope you had a good 4th . I went and stayed with my daughter and grand babies It was nice. I had my SIBO test done yesterday and unfortunately it was positive so back on antibiotics. GI Dr said IBS/SIBO and Diverticulitis go together for some people, and with anxiety your at higher risk . I’m so p****d just want to be better, now diet has to change again. No carbs or sugar, like potatoes,bread,yams. That’s all I’ve been eating with my fish and chicken. So I have to work on SIBO/IBS Low FodMat diet. So stressing. I’m praying the antibiotics will make it all go away. Well just wanted to update you, didn’t mean to vent so much. Much prayers and hugs for you to have a calm , good week with great results from procedures. I’m here for ya . 🙏🌺🌸

• Posted

Hi vickie don't know if you read my post stupid me ate a pork chop diahrea and pain for 2days ( and liquid diet for 2 days) still loose stools I won't do that again So glad you got to spend time with family! I don't know what SIBO is l will Google it Holly Cow woman what are you gonna eat ? I do cat scan with contrast on Tuesday and colonoscopy on the 18th Thanks for checking in!!!!!

• Posted

I just cleaned out because I was sick. I felt so much better too! Doc told me to clean out with magnesium citrate and there was a big difference. On meds now, but dont seem to clean out like they say I should.
  • Posted

Hi Kate.  Yes, DV is a real pain.  My colon reacts to almost everything I put in it. I find Buscopan  tablets work, but  should only be taken sparingly according to a doctor..  Peppermint tea soothes, also a hot water bottle to my tummy. An antispasmodic too. The best thing to have kept me infection free is a daily pro-biotic, I never miss taking one.  My heartfelt feelings go out to anyone who suffers this horrible condition.....Glad to read you are feeling better and hope it stays that way. Big hugs x
    • Posted

I cannot find Buscopan anywhere and Drs are clueless to what it is, I take Bentyl which helps. After all tests final diagnosis is Diverticulitis induced IBS and SIBO. Now gotta be back on antibiotics for the SIBO. Ugh and change diet again. So tired of this 
    • Posted

what what probiotics do you take? Now that I have to be back on antibiotics need a probiotic. Last time I took Florastor

• Posted

A girlfriend of mine gave me something called DigestZen from DoTerra (could be American) which is a blend of oils - ginger, peppermint, caraway etc., and I put a drop in a large glass of water and sip.  It helps me anyway but don't know if you can get it in the UK.  I also add a teaspoon of inulin powder to my cereal which is a water-soluble fibre.  I think it's a pre and pro-biotic.  H&B might have something.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you, I'm in Oregon US so will look into it and I've heard of insulin is it prescribed or otc? Thanks for supporting 🤗

• Posted

Hi, no not prescribed but available from health food stores.  Mine comes in a resealable pouch and you sprinkle it on your food - about a teaspoon - I think up to 3 times a day but don't take my word for it.  I would do some research on it to see if it is something that might help.  I usually only use it about once a week.  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.